Todays lesson is ....... Check in for good info ....

Nice lesson SemperFi

Good post!

Along the lines of safe boating here is a cheat sheet for your VHF radios:

VHF Frequencies Broadcasting NOAA Weather Reports

VHF Frequencies - 162.400 MHz 162.425 MHz 162.450 MHz 162.475 MHz 162.500 MHz 162.525 MHz 162.550 MHz

These are the most commonly used VHF channels on United States waters.Channel 6 Intership safety communications.

Channel 9 Communications between vessels (commercial and recreational), and ship to coast (calling channel in designated USCG Districts).

Channel 13 Navigational use by commercial, military, and recreational vessels at bridges, locks, and harbors.

Channel 16 Distress and safety calls to U.S. Coast Guard and others, and to initiate calls to other vessels; often called the "hailing" channel. (Some regions use other channels as the hailing channel.) When hailing, contact the other vessel, quickly agree to another channel, and then switch to that channel to continue conversation.

Channel 22 Communications between the U.S. Coast Guard and the maritime public, both recreational and commercial. Severe weather warnings, hazards to navigation, and other safety warnings are broadcast on this channel.

Channels 24-28 Public telephone calls (to marine operator).

Channels 68, 69, and 71 Recreational vessel radio channels and ship to coast.

Channel 70 Digital selective calling "alert channel."

Last edited by a moderator:
Along the lines of safe boating here is a cheat sheet for your VHF radios:

VHF Frequencies Broadcasting NOAA Weather Reports

VHF Frequencies - 162.400 MHz 162.425 MHz 162.450 MHz 162.475 MHz 162.500 MHz 162.525 MHz 162.550 MHz

These are the most commonly used VHF channels on United States waters.Channel 6 Intership safety communications.

Channel 9 Communications between vessels (commercial and recreational), and ship to coast (calling channel in designated USCG Districts).

Channel 13 Navigational use by commercial, military, and recreational vessels at bridges, locks, and harbors.

Channel 16 Distress and safety calls to U.S. Coast Guard and others, and to initiate calls to other vessels; often called the "hailing" channel. (Some regions use other channels as the hailing channel.) When hailing, contact the other vessel, quickly agree to another channel, and then switch to that channel to continue conversation.

Channel 22 Communications between the U.S. Coast Guard and the maritime public, both recreational and commercial. Severe weather warnings, hazards to navigation, and other safety warnings are broadcast on this channel.

Channels 24-28 Public telephone calls (to marine operator).

Channels 68, 69, and 71 Recreational vessel radio channels and ship to coast.

Channel 70 Digital selective calling "alert channel."
Excellent, might have to print this and laminate ... better yet, text to my cell phone !!

LESSON #11 --- BOAT FIRE--what to do !!!!

From BOAT US--Using the Wrong Type of Extinguisher to Fight a Fire is Like Trying to Dig a Hole With a Rake

http://www.boatus.co...orthy/swybf.asp

Some powerful stories there on how fast fire can spread. Good article Dave.

Anyone that liked that story (Lesson #11) should buy USBoat's book Seaworthy. That exact same story is in the book word for word (I just read it a couple weeks ago) along with a hundred more like it on all sorts of topics. It really opened my eyes to the many things that can go wrong on a boat, and how simple almost all of it is to avoid if you are simply "in the know".

Here's the book on Amazon. New it's $30, but there are several used ones right now for $10.

http://www.amazon.co...words=seaworthy

Keep the Lessons coming Dave! Awesome topic.

By the way, here's another book I REALLY REALLY liked. Lots of pictures and diagrams, there's one or two on EVERY page in the book. Makes it very easy to understand. Anyone new to boating should pick this up:

http://www.amazon.co...s=boat handling

Some powerful stories there on how fast fire can spread. Good article Dave.
Thanks !!

Anyone that liked that story (Lesson #11) should buy USBoat's book Seaworthy. That exact same story is in the book word for word (I just read it a couple weeks ago) along with a hundred more like it on all sorts of topics. It really opened my eyes to the many things that can go wrong on a boat, and how simple almost all of it is to avoid if you are simply "in the know".

Here's the book on Amazon. New it's $30, but there are several used ones right now for $10.

http://www.amazon.co...words=seaworthy
Thanks for that info, just picked a copy up on Feebay for $12.97 shipped !!!

Do you know if they have digital versions I can download to my tablet and read while out on my boat? :D

Does not look like it, I could not find any .............. I'm just going to take my antique paper version on the boat ...... :D

Thanks for posting. This will help when we have family with youngsters over.

Rule#1 on our boat. You're under 18, you wear a life jacket unless your are a certified lifeguard.

Thanks for this thread. I found the one on radios to be a great eye opener. When we had our center console boat and went offshore, we always had a portable VHF onboard. But when we started pontooning we are inshore (Intracoastal Waterway) always have phone reception so we never considered:

1. In an emergency the Coast Guard is our best, fastest source of help

2. Wet phones don't work

We just purchased a new portable, waterproof VHF. :)

Thanks for this thread. I found the one on radios to be a great eye opener. When we had our center console boat and went offshore, we always had a portable VHF onboard. But when we started pontooning we are inshore (Intracoastal Waterway) always have phone reception so we never considered:

1. In an emergency the Coast Guard is our best, fastest source of help

2. Wet phones don't work

We just purchased a new portable, waterproof VHF. :)
Excellent !!!

Where do you boat on ICW ?? That's why we bought ours, for hopefully in a couple years to do the ICW !!!

Very Interesting SemperFi

Back