Trailer recommendation

Chuck13

Reaction score
I bought a 2013 2250 RSR and want to buy a good trailer for it. Can anyone recommend a particular trailer and a dealer near south east Michigan? Based on my limited knowledge, I believe I need a tri pontoon trailer with either tandem or tri axle. Also need brakes either disk or standard. I am sure someone knows much better than I do. Any help is appreciated. Thank You Chuck

Check out under forms dock talk some good info from member Toms has some pics of his new tri toon trailer I have bought same trailer for my 2550 gbr tri toon pick up ours on the 29th in Brighton Mi

ESP Trailer Supports

You've got two kinds of boat trailers.

Many of the boat trailers are manufactured using thin steel tubing that's enclosed. They look good and pull good. But they have a tendency to rust out because water gets trapped inside the tubing setting up rust. One of the problems is with the quality of the steel being used--not good. Many of the mass merchandised boats have custom trailers with the name of the boat manufacturer on the trailers. And if these are used in salt water, you'll be doing good to get 10 years out of them.

The best trailers are made out of channel steel. With those trailers, water evaporates and you don't have the rust problems. They're more difficult to make, may not look quite as good, but they'll last as long as the boat. And galvanized steel or aluminum trailers are the only way to go if you're into salt water.

My new Bennington trailer is a tube trailer. The manufacturer is close to my dealer, and he takes the avenue of least resistance. If I was selling boats the quality of Bennington, I'd be looking for C steel trailers to put my boats on.

EBayMotors,com and Boattrader.com are great places to look for boat trailers. Remember that they're not all created equal.

Last edited by a moderator:
McClain aluminum trailers.

I could not be happier with my Phoenix Trailer. www.phoenixtrail.com They are located in Ellsworth, MI which sounds like it may be close to you. I included a couple of pictures with this post. It has disc brakes, LED lighting, deluxe ladder, horizontal load guides and I had the Bennington logo added to it. It tows great at highway speeds and is easy to load and unload the boat. As far as bunk or scissor style trailers it was an easy choice for me since we trailer the boat to and from the lake whenever it is going to be used. Their are advantages to both styles but I went with the bunk after hearing about how "tippy" the scissor trailers can be if you are not careful. Good luck in your search for a trailer!

I could not be happier with my Phoenix Trailer. www.phoenixtrail.com They are located in Ellsworth, MI which sounds like it may be close to you. I included a couple of pictures with this post. It has disc brakes, LED lighting, deluxe ladder, horizontal load guides and I had the Bennington logo added to it. It tows great at highway speeds and is easy to load and unload the boat. As far as bunk or scissor style trailers it was an easy choice for me since we trailer the boat to and from the lake whenever it is going to be used. Their are advantages to both styles but I went with the bunk after hearing about how "tippy" the scissor trailers can be if you are not careful. Good luck in your search for a trailer!

How has your Phoenix Trailer held up for you now that we are 10 yrs down the road? Researching the trailer purchase process currently?

How has your Phoenix Trailer held up for you now that we are 10 yrs down the road? Researching the trailer purchase process currently?
The person that you asked this question to, has not been on the forum since 11/2013

Hi JL. I don’t trailer, but flirt with the idea of getting one someday. That said, there have been some other trailer threads over the years. Do a search in the upper right hand corner and see what info you come up with.…Or start a new trailer thread. There are certainly some very helpful members that have lots of experience with trailering, as well as good info on their own brand trailers. Hopefully others can provide you some great feedback and insights - including for the Phoenix trailers you are inquiring about.

Just my 2 cents.....I've only had 2 brand of trailers for our boats over the years. The first 2 were painted Yacht club trailers. Well made double axle and had surge brakes. They both didn't rust because I waxed the crap out of it several times a year! I currently have a galvanized Venture double axle with disc brakes. It's 4 yrs old now and has held up. I only tow a couple times a year when needed.

Just my 2 cents.....I've only had 2 brand of trailers for our boats over the years. The first 2 were painted Yacht club trailers. Well made double axle and had surge brakes. They both didn't rust because I waxed the crap out of it several times a year! I currently have a galvanized Venture double axle with disc brakes. It's 4 yrs old now and has held up. I only tow a couple times a year when needed.
Thanks BigKahuna:

I really didn’t expect this decision to be that complicated but that’s fine. Waxing a trailer several times a year doesn’t excite me. Hats off to you for the elbow grease expended! Having said that, I only expect to trailer a few times year as well. Freshwater only. My experience is with C Channel trailers and I’m curious why pontoon trailers are all seem to be box frame. I assume it is for the added strength needed to carry 4K plus, I’ll confirm that next week as I visit a few trailer dealers of various brands. The rust potential bothers me with the box frames. Also seems like anywhere you place a u-bolt for say guide bunks etc. is asking for rust. Maybe galvanized might the way to go, hadn’t previously thought it would be necessary.

We have 2 yacht club trailers in our fleet since 2011 when I bought my Benny and my cousin bought his Tahoe. Both just like BigKahuna said. tandem axle, surge brakes, and after 12 years, they both still look great. Very well built in my opinion

We bought a Wolverine trailer (tandem etc) for our hunting pontoon boat and have no issues with that one either. Its less "beefy" then the Yacht Club trailers, but it seems to get the job done

We have 2 yacht club trailers in our fleet since 2011 when I bought my Benny and my cousin bought his Tahoe. Both just like BigKahuna said. tandem axle, surge brakes, and after 12 years, they both still look great. Very well built in my opinion

We bought a Wolverine trailer (tandem etc) for our hunting pontoon boat and have no issues with that one either. Its less "beefy" then the Yacht Club trailers, but it seems to get the job done
If I may ask, Are your Yacht Club trailers galvanized or paint?

We trailer fulltime and use a galvanized Yacht Club Deluxe trailer. Looks like it did the day we got it, and we love it. But it's only just over a year old. Got a couple thousand miles on it.

If I may ask, Are your Yacht Club trailers galvanized or paint?
They are painted but its freshwater use only, so I am sure that helps.

I have a PMI trailer and love it - best trailer I have owned for any of my boats. They are located in Elkhart, IN so probably not too far from you.

So this may be a very silly "duh" type question but, are the tritoon trailer bunks "standard" for all tritoon set up? or do I need to measure etc? Wasn't sure if Bennington is special? or if I need to pay close attention to log size, spacing etc.

Yes,you will need a trailer based on length of your toons .

Most pontoons/tritoons are 81/2 ft wide, with 10 ft being the exception. There are some entry level models that are 8 ft wide

Back