Tube welds

thebend

Reaction score
anyone experience cracked welds in the pontoon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Get with your dealer and get it taken care of. I have not personally had a problem.

Not me, but I'd be getting a hold of your dealer ASAP!!

Most leaks are very little voids in the welds. It really is best to have any seam TIG welded, and by a qualified, well trained welder. Few marine mechanics have the training to weld toons like I'd want mine welded.

My dealer has been absolutely great in dealing with this issue. I am just curious as to whether this is a common problem or a one in a million luck of the draw. thats bad luck . My boat is brand new and only been in the water three times. THe crack and resulting leak occurred at the front fin andI am just worried that this could occur on the other pontoon? Just how common is it to have a hole in a pontoon?

Well I bought my boat used two years ago this past April (it's a 2005). After I had it in my lake for about a month I saw bubbles coming from the water at the back side of my starboard toon. I quickly pulled the boat out and on to my trailer. I had it welded and taken care of. The guy who welded it is known as the best welder around this area for pontoons. He told me I did good by immediately pulling it out of the lake before water could get inside the pontoon. I could tell that same area had already been welded in two other spots as well (before I owned it).

This year when I went to get my boat out of (indoor heated) storage, the guy I keep it at informed me I had water in the bow of the port toon.......he shook the bow of that toon while it was on the trailer and sure enough you could hear water sloshing around in there. There is a very large weld just below that fin there (outside of the port toon) that sure doesn't look like a factory weld. I'm thinking someone welded it with the water in there (before I owned the boat) whether they knew the water was in there or not. I had the same welder drill a small hole in the bottom of that toon, drained it, re-pressurized it and welded it back shut. So far this year no issues. So it does happen but no idea how often.

Posted last year, repair covered by warranty- No other leaks! Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

Well after 3 days in the water our 3 week old Bennington 22 SSI started listing to the rear starboard side! The rear outside tube was taking on water. We almost couldn't get her back on the trailer, way to heavy! Needed 4x4 to get up the ramp because of tire spin. The rear inside weld on the starboard tube end cap has a small area that was not welded about half way up the tube. it's been draining out a small stream of water for 14 hours! Headed back to the boat shop on Tuesday, I don't think this one was pressure tested! Good news, looks like a easy fix!

Still love the boat,

RiverBill

Last edited by a moderator:
My dealer has been absolutely great in dealing with this issue. I am just curious as to whether this is a common problem or a one in a million luck of the draw. thats bad luck . My boat is brand new and only been in the water three times. THe crack and resulting leak occurred at the front fin andI am just worried that this could occur on the other pontoon? Just how common is it to have a hole in a pontoon?
Common no, possible yes. I'm sure this happens from time to time in ANY brand. Sounds like your dealer is stepping up quickly to rectify the situation.

Good luck and oh yeah, PICS of your boat !!!!

See if you can locate "Hosedragger" on this forum. He's in Portland, OR and has had a couple bouts with this problem.

Back