Update on Ethanol Mandate from Boating United

Thanks for posting the letter Jack. It is clear the letters from us boaters do not carry enough weight, but surely they carried SOME weight... That letter is disappointing, but the fight to keep ethanol free gas for our boat motors isn't over yet. We need to keep chipping at it however we can.

By the way, being a moderator is a shitty job with no compensation that is done by a few people for no reason other than love for the forum. I have had a post or two deleted by them myself, but I respect their desire to keep this incredible forum from fracturing. I'm fine if the entire thread is deleted even though it started with good intentions. That has been done a couple times in the past for the greater good.

We still need to keep up the fight to keep ethanol free gas available.

Well then the screen door has swung wide open and I can now start threads as I see fit all related to boating in my own world.

The war on coal will affect the boating industry as well as the overall war on fossil fuels due to the fact that thousands of these boats would not be sold if not for all the good jobs they bring, no need to worry about the ethanol then.........................see how this is going to work from here on out.

This will be fun! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, being a moderator is a shitty job with no compensation that is done by a few people for no reason other than love for the forum.

I am and have been a Mod on several other sites myself and I do not see it as a bad job, actually every single forum I am on has a political section and they all run very smoothly actually, they police themselves very well, the actual internal banter is very educational in most cases. They are all nonvisible to the public and all need to ask permission to be allowed in to prevent those who don't like being butt hurt from seeing things they have no self control of not looking at in the first place.

I agree politics and religion have no place in the open forums for all the viewing public to see but in the backroom for good entertainment they are very good ways to keep more people involved and brings more traffic to the forums from my experience over the years.

I also realize that you are all just mods and your handlers @ corporate set the rules but the thing is the rules are being stretched pretty tight by the ones policing it.

In the end the letter should never have been posted, rather just a post stating you received a worthless time wasting response from your state rep would have been the best way to go about it and then I would have not been forced to call out the policies here.

Hide the letter and all will be better with me.

I would even be OK if it were in a non public picture album with a link to it but not pasted up for all the world to see.

No blood has ever been spilled, No soldier has ever been killed

Defending an American corn field!

Bennington has provided this forum and bears the cost of it with one goal in mind; for the members to have a forum to enjoy our love of Bennington Pontoon boats.  Our goal wild & Free is for all to "have fun", just not in the way you have seemed to imply, by stirring the pot. 

We moderators may not be perfect but we do our best at interpreting the rules set forth. 

So at this point I am asking that rather than turning this into an ongoing fight lets let this go and all get back to enjoying this forum 

Hey on a positive note, got up checked todays obits didn't see my name then proceeded to make coffee, the sun came up and I saw I was still on the right side of the grass now off to enjoy things while I still can............................ :D

BTW, the ethanol doesn't affect my "Bennington pontoon" one bit.

The totally separate entity called an engine which there are several different brands same as pontoons hanging off the back or built into the frame as inboards are a totally different subject though with their own separate forums. :)

Tooner, on 05 Feb 2016 - 11:19 PM, said:Not when the answer from the US Senator is based strictly on politics, rather than fact. The facts are that the production of ethanol is actually energy negative (consumes more than it creates or saves); is harmful to small engines, motorcycles, RVs, and the marine industry; and has driven the cost of food up tremendously. Add to that the fact that the corn we waste on this ill conceived venture could be sold for food to starving nations, and the enormity of this boondoggle is more than obvious.

BTW, my answer is NOT political in any way. It only points out the negative aspects of ethanol, and it's negative effects on all of us that use our boats. If you read fully the effects of this latest ruling, you will find that it will not only increase the ethanol % to a minimum of 15%, but also that because of the now lower consumption of gasoline and yet the mandated higher amount of ethanol, it will mean Lower amounts or possibly no Ethanol free fuels will be produced. At best this means the cost of our marine fuels will go up, and at worst that we will have a much higher probability of damage to the engines in our boats due to ethanol damage.

And that's a fact, NOT POLITICS. Seems to me to be a very important Boating, NOT political issue.
I will honor the intent of the forum rules and not debate this political issue.

But please allow me to point out that just because someone posts something and calls it "fact" does not make it so.

Ethanol, love or hate it, has had very little effect on food prices.

I posted the response from Senator Peters "only" to show that I did  receive a response .There are others that never respond ,no matter what the topic .
I received basically the same letter from Senator Marc Rubio here in FL. And I agree that it is good to be acknowledged if it is not what was hoped for. 

Tooner I agree that your answer is one sided but not overly political, this is coming from someone that carries in ethanol free gas 100% of the time even though it is a pia.  Ethanol is of great concern to boaters and can have a place on this forum to keep us up to date as long as it doesn't come to bashing political figures and the responses are non-inflammatory.

The problem I had was following the letter from the Senator the next few threads were most certainly political and then W&F felt the need to throw ethanol-free gas on the fire.  I support Randy's comments that Religion and politics should not be brought up on this forum
Link I'm glad that you saw my post for what it was meant to be, about boating, rather than politics. BTW, I also believe that Religion and Politics don't belong here if meant to be strictly in support of either subject. I belong to several other forums and have seen how many have been motivated to leave the forum because political bashing became too prevalent. 

My feelings on this .....  :D   Just my humor .......

46699383.jpg

12654139_10207566655543167_6952096799153664908_n.jpg

Back