Used 2275GCW Purchase Disaster

Seaduced

Reaction score
I purchased a 2012 Bennington 2275GCW from a 'national boat dealer' on Oct 16.

(After a long courtship with a brand new GCW at my Bennington dealer, I was forced to go used when I took a haircut on the sale of my old boat.)

I saw this boat on 10/16 and put down a deposit.

We test drove the boat on 10/18

Bought the boat on 10/19.

Part of the deal was full tank of gas, shrinkwrap,winterize, and store until spring.

The boat was immediately winterized and put in storage for the winter. 

I went to visit my boat today and, though shrinkwrapped,  I crawled underneath to check out the wiring (see my previous post).

I was shocked to discover that both 32" eliptical pontoons are now dented in and have jackknifed just behind the aft support blocks..

The yard admits they should have put the aft support blocks at the very end of the pontoons. They placed them about 18" forward.

The yard manager freely admits that they know nothing about pontoon boats. Mine is their only one.

The yard lifted the boat today and reset the support blocks. They say the pontoons have now straightened out "substantially".

They offered to call in a welder and inspect the pontoons and repair as necessary.

I told the yard only two options are acceptable to me.

1)  refund my money in full (with sales tax) 

or

2)  replace both pontoons at the local Bennington dealer. 

The local Bennington dealer reviewed photos of the damage and said the pontoons MUST be replaced.

The Bennington dealer estimates $12,000 repair.

I am just sick over this. My dream boat just turned into a nightmare. 

I am expecting a call back from the selling dealer with a response to my "ultimatum".

Looking for advice or maybe just a shoulder to cry on.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Sorry to hear this happened and it reinforces my belief that the choice of dealers is so very important.

It's a bit hard to believe that replacing both toons would be as much as $12k to repair, but it is Bennington's estimate after all. Typically a storage facility absolves themselves of all responsibility for any damage, fire, animals, etc in writing when you leave it with them. They expect you to have insurance to cover it. This would typically be a claim to your own insurance, though they may also choose to subrogate it to the dealer since they admittedly caused the damage.

Good luck, get it fixed, and enjoy the boat for years to come  :)

Thoughts

1. Buy a trailer and store it in your driveway

2. If you financed it get the bank involved based on tthe fac that dealer destroyed the value of the collateral

3. Fill a claim with your boat insurance company for physical damage. It's the other guys fault but they can process the claim, subrogation it and you will have to front the deductible until the dealer insurance ponies up then you bet it back.

4. Share the dealers names and location

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The dealer admitted they screwed up, now it is time for them to make it right. 12k does seem high though...

I'm curious what Jack's first claim was for a tube replacement.

Thanks guys.

The estimate comes from an actual invoice that the Bennington dealer had for a previous pontoon replacement . A Bennington fell from its supports during Hurricane Sandy resulting in the pontoon being dented. The total bill was $5000.  I have two pontoons to replace as well as bottom prep for paint and bottom paint.

I want to be as fair as possible to the selling dealer and do not want to malign them until this issue is resolved. That's why I am intentionally being vague.

Trust me....if he screws me and will spread the name around like Paul Revere.

Being a former claims adjuster there are typically two prices. The true cost of a repair, and the quote for repair given to the insurance company for payment (actual price x (rip off factor).

I bet a cash deal takes care of a tube replacement for less than 5k.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The dealer admitted they screwed up, now it is time for them to make it right. 12k does seem high though...

I'm curious what Jack's first claim was for a tube replacement.
Port side was just under $3500.00 .Cant imagine that ellipticals  are that much more .Transportation costs ?

I was quoted $6000 for the center toon replacement, which exclude the toon shipping charge. The shipping is depend on the timing if any boat is shipping to the dealer at the time.

Was that for an insurance claim or cash price?

Here's an update....

I'm sorry to say that the selling dealer has not been very responsive with a resolution.

I am trying not to jump to paranoid conclusions but the service manager keeps implying that either there was no real damage or it is at least minimal. 

I sent them a letter telling them I want the pontoons replaced. The service manager is very respectful and courteous but non-committal with a solution.

He did mention today that they are trying to get in touch with Bennington. He was vague and evasive as to why.

I suspect that they are trying to get Bennington to say that the pontoons are usable as is or at least repairable.

The selling dealer is not a Bennington dealer.

If anyone has documentation to show proper placement of support blocks...that would be valuable.

I think I need a lawyer. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bennington would tell you the blocks must go at the rear cap and the seam at the last straight forward section where it intersects with the nose cone section.

Sorry too say and this is just an opinion but previous expierence has shown...if the dealer would have been forthcoming I would say the chances would be good you would get some type of satisfaction. Considering they hid the issue to begin with leads me to think that they have no real intention to make it right.

Good luck but it looks like you should prepair yourself for a fight. Legal that is.

Wishing you the best.

Good luck. Just another example of "the professionals" not knowing what the hell they are doing. Think about all the other boats they have screwed up over the years. Class action?

Seaduced

Good luck with your situation.  That really sucks.  I hope you come away with 100% satisfaction.  One the bright side, you're not missing any water time right now and hopefully everything will be solved by spring launch

Todd

Corporate Headquarters: 

MarineMax Inc.

2600 McCormick Dr Ste 200
Clearwater, FL, 33759
(727) 531-1700

CEO William H. McGill Jr.

There are a number of customer complaints noted online.  One said that MarineMax corporate's customer satisfaction ratings are no better than their local MarineMax branch.

You could pay an attorney to issue a demand letter to MarineMax headquarters in Clearwater requesting a flat cancellation of the deal.  Dont' have him devote much time to the matter--other than to issue the letter.

You should go ahead and turn in a claim to your physical damage insurance carrier to get the ball rolling with the adjuster, etc..  They might go after MarineMax legally as they caused the damage.   You will be out your deductible, however.

In the meantime, you should either borrow a trailer or buy a trailer and take possession of your boat immediately.  I'd suggest taking it to an authorized Bennington dealer that could properly fix the toons. 

I've seen damages done a number of times to pontoons going into indoor dry storage.  Pontoons have to be placed on racks that look like a trailer without a tongue or wheels prior to their being picked up by a forklift and placed into overhead racks.  I don't know if that was how your damage was done.

Here's an update...

-   I received a very sympathetic and courteous email from the forum moderator cautioning me about soliciting legal advice and such. The moderator deleted one of my previous posts. I apologize again to the moderators for crossing a line. I meant no harm or disrespect.

-  the selling dealer and I have traded a number of emails regarding the damage.I think the selling dealer is willing to admit that they screwed up but there is a reluctance to acknowledge the significant damage to the pontoons. For example, although the spot welds popped on the keel guard of the starboard pontoon, the service manager claims he found residue there which shows that the damage is not recent. I am not buying it. I believe the spot welds broke free when the pontoon was bent.

-   The store manager will not give me a straight answer about whether they will cancel the deal and give my money back. I suspect the answer is NO.

- MarineMax claims they are communicating with Bennington in Indiana about the damage but are vague as to specifically who. All Bennington documentation says that parts, repairs, etc must go through the local Bennington dealer.  

- The local Bennington dealer has been absolutely FANTASTIC with supporting my situation...even more so when you consider I did not buy the new boat he ordered specially for me last year and I went and bought a used Bennington this year from MarineMax. He has been with me every step of the way. Just incredible. He even called me on Thanksgiving and was trying to get in touch with the Bennington factory rep regarding my situation....on Thanksgiving!!!  Kudos to Jack Ryan at Sheltered Cove Marina Tuckerton NJ. I consider him a friend for life.  Mike D'Andrea, SCM Service Manager, has been very supportive and helpful as well. 

- I have written a personal letter to William McGilll President and CEO at MarineMax asking for his involvement -  so far no response 

- I have tried to involve Carl Richards, Regional Service Manager for MarineMax -  so far no response.

- I have discovered that one of the problems with dealing with a big corporation like MarineMax is that it is hard to impossible to identify who the decision maker is. I don't think MarineMax even knows who can take an official position on the situation. I know it is not the Service Manager (he told me so), Not sure if even the Store Manager has the authority.

-  Many thanks to those on this forum that have helped me with your advice, encouragement, documentation etc.  I really appreciate it.

Back