Vinyl Repair

G

Geewest

Hey I thought I would share a Repair I had done. My boat is not but 48 hrs old and I had a accident :( . I was moving the filler seat and I dropped it on accident on the corner of my couch, The Vinyl happens to be stretched very thin on this corner and it's got a hard plastic under it. Making it very easy to do what I did. Ok be that as it may. Back to my screw up. So after feeling like a Idiot. removed the seat from the boat and brought it to my local vinyl repair guy. Removing the seat and bringing it was much easyer than towing it 2+ hrs.

Here is a Pic of what happend

vinyl.jpg

It was a chafe or kind of a rip/tear.

Here is the Repair

vinyl2.jpg

its almost Imposable to see the repair. Unless you knew the direct spot where the damage was you would never know. 24 hrs later and $65 later im good to go.

Disclamer. Not all repairs are invisable. I have had a few boats and had a few repairs and some are in locations and damaged in a way where they cant be fixed very well, Sometimes the Vinyl is beat down where making a repair is not a option. And then you have the quality or skill of the guy doing the work, I just happend to luck out on this one and it's almost gone .

Pro Trim (who did my repair) said the best thing you can do after you have recieved dammage is Tape with packing tape the spot closed untill you can get it fixed. He said the sun will break down the foam under the vinyl and cause a depression in the foam making the repair even harder because NOW you have to fill the depression with foam or vinyl and it takes on a diffrent feel or softness. So his advice was to place packing tape over the tear untill you can have it fixed. Try to have it fixed sooner than later

Last edited:
Hey I thought I would share a Repair I had done. My boat is not but 48 hrs old and I had a accident :( . I was moving the filler seat and I dropped it on accident on the corner of my couch, The Vinyl happens to be stretched very thin on this corner and it's got a hard plastic under it. Making it very easy to do what I did. Ok be that as it may. Back to my screw up. So after feeling like a Idiot. removed the seat from the boat and brought it to my local vinyl repair guy. Removing the seat and bringing it was much easyer than towing it 2+ hrs.

Here is a Pic of what happend

vinyl.jpg

It was a chafe or kind of a rip/tear.

Here is the Repair

vinyl2.jpg

its almost Imposable to see the repair. Unless you knew the direct spot where the damage was you would never know. 24 hrs later and $65 later im good to go.

Disclamer. Not all repairs are invisable. I have had a few boats and had a few repairs and some are in locations and damaged in a way where they cant be fixed very well, Sometimes the Vinyl is beat down where making a repair is not a option. And then you have the quality or skill of the guy doing the work, I just happend to luck out on this one and it's almost gone .

Pro Trim (who did my repair) said the best thing you can do after you have recieved dammage is Tape with packing tape the spot closed untill you can get it fixed. He said the sun will break down the foam under the vinyl and cause a depression in the foam making the repair even harder because NOW you have to fill the depression with foam or vinyl and it takes on a diffrent feel or softness. So his advice was to place packing tape over the tear untill you can have it fixed. Try to have it fixed sooner than later
That looks great!

looks like they did a perfect job! i had a raccoon get under the cover and in my boat this winter. put a few holes and scratches in several of the seats. luckily there's a guy that comes out to my marina that does the repairs on site. cost about 350 but i'm the only one that knows where the repairs are. was pretty cool watching the guy repair and paint the vinyl. it is definitely an art and maybe some magic. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be nice if Bennington would find a paint shop that could match their seat colors and produce a vinyl stain to repair seat stains with.

I know an operation that can match any color of leather seat stain, and they produce a filler to make cracks in auto/truck leather seats disappear.

Good to know....thanks for sharing the pictures. It would be hard to visualize the damage and amazing repair job without them.

Roy

Wow, that guys good, looks like a new seat. You would never know its been repaired.

Be interested to see how long it lasts, did he say if its typically a "permanent" repair ?

looks like they did a perfect job! i had a raccoon get under the cover and in my boat this winter. put a few holes and scratches in several of the seats. luckily there's a guy that comes out to my marina that does the repairs on site. cost about 350 but i'm the only one that knows where the repairs are. was pretty cool watching the guy repair and paint the vinyl. it is definitely an art and maybe some magic. LOL
Place moth balls throughout your toon when storing it and they will keep all pests out over winter.. Place them inside and on the ground around the whole thing. They keep mice and all others out!

The seat looks great Gee! It's amazing how talented these people are. Had a repair in my bow rider seat years ago and it looked new when they were done................Also, I agree w/Ronfl, I put mothballs in little silver pans around the boat and in the engine compartment and haven't had a problem w/critters getting in..........

Back