Water coming up from under the decking

Staeng8

Reaction score
I get a wet spot coming up from under the deck about 1/3 of the way back from the bow. Look from the under side it lines up with one of the cross members. Think there must be a seam in the plywood at that member. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you address it.

Call your dealer, and I assume you don't have underskin.

Dealer put silicone on the out side of the plastic flashing last season. I think I'm going to do it myself this time. (Don't want to give him the boat for two weeks) .

No I don't have the under skin but I think if I remove the flashing that's directly in front of the rib and calk the entire cross member I'll do a better job than the dealer did

I'd have Bennington supply the underdecking and have the dealer install it. I don't think caulk is the solution. That is my $.02

Let the dealer ,do it . Use your warranty .

Plus if YOU do it, and it makes it worse, you would probably void the lifetime warranty (plywood)!!

LIMITED LIFETIME DECK WARRANTY
As a Bennington owner, you receive a Limited Lifetime Warranty on the 7-ply, pressure-treated, marine grade wooden deck. Since we fasten the rails and deck directly through the under structure, Bennington decks flex less and will provide you with a lifetime of enjoyment.

Are you original owner and or what year boat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus if YOU do it, and it makes it worse, you would probably void the lifetime warranty (plywood)!!

LIMITED LIFETIME DECK WARRANTY

As a Bennington owner, you receive a Limited Lifetime Warranty on the 7-ply, pressure-treated, marine grade wooden deck. Since we fasten the rails and deck directly through the under structure, Bennington decks flex less and will provide you with a lifetime of enjoyment.

Are you original owner and or what year boat?
Yes I am the original owner of a 2013 24 slx. Calking was used by the dealer last season but he put it in front of the the flashing not directly on the cross member. I hate the thought of giving up the boat for two weeks this season.

I also had the water problem prior to underskinning my boat.  I would consider living with it during the season and having it done when it goes in to winter storage

I also had the water problem prior to underskinning my boat.  I would consider living with it during the season and having it done when it goes in to winter storage
Did you attempt any other fixes prior to the under-skin?

Did you attempt any other fixes prior to the under-skin?
Nope, truthfully I thought it was normal, I didn't expect it to be waterproof

Why don't all pontoon boats have under skinning?!?

Thanks for all your input.

I'm going to start thinking about an under skin project for this Fall.

I seem to have a reputation here......

All I'll say is it has been a long 9 months with the wife pregnant. Throw in a Michigan winter and you get crazy. He is due any day so hopefully I'll mellow out once I am a dad....unlikely but you never know.

All I'll say is it has been a long 9 months with the wife pregnant. Throw in a Michigan winter and you get crazy. He is due any day so hopefully I'll mellow out once I am a dad....unlikely but you never know.
Yes Lakeliving most young couples I know have found having a newborn is very relaxing.  Oh and they all say they sleep so much better as well :wacko:

Now that right there is some funny stuff!

Back