winter Cover

Four R's

Reaction score
Tired of paying for shrink wrap every year.  Found a product on line called Kover Klamps.  Wondering if anyone has tried this system as a means to build a structure which is then covered with a tarp or cover.  Any other products worth looking at?

I have always kept my boat in indoor storage, it is not heated but I only use the mooring cover.  I am not sure what shrink wrap costs but indoor where I am costs $17/foot for the length of the trailer. 

Just picked mine up from getting shrink wrapped yesterday and was $260 total for my 22 footer.

Just picked mine up from getting shrink wrapped yesterday and was $260 total for my 22 footer
You said you picked it up so that doesn't include storage, what if you wanted to leave it there?

Here is a company that I'm looking into for a cover for trailering.  www.carvercovers.com

I have always kept my boat in indoor storage, it is not heated but I only use the mooring cover. I am not sure what shrink wrap costs but indoor where I am costs $17/foot for the length of the trailer.
Same storage here, but $500 for the season. In last week of October, out usually first week of April. Plus $150 to pull and $150 to drop back in.

Same storage here, but $500 for the season. In last week of October, out usually first week of April. Plus $150 to pull and $150 to drop back in.
SemperFi are you saying $300 to put it on a trailer to take it out and put back in?  Is that winterizing and other items included?  If you don't own a trailer and it it is just using their trailer than I would think that purchasing a trailer would pay for itself

Outdoor storage at the local benny dealer in Bismarck ND is 200 for the winter season not sure what other outdoor storage places charge but I think most are within a couple hundred bucks., indoor storage varies a lot around here so can't comment on those prices, I have a large yard in the country so it sits here at home for free.

SemperFi are you saying $300 to put it on a trailer to take it out and put back in? Is that winterizing and other items included? If you don't own a trailer and it it is just using their trailer than I would think that purchasing a trailer would pay for itself
No, it's a wash or a little better. Storage building is probably 6-8 miles from lake where they take it. I'd have to pay $30 a month just to store a trailer at a local facility. We can't have them in our driveways. Plus factor $2500 to buy a trailer and still store it for $360/year plus insure it. Trust me, I ran the numbers and it just wasn't worth it for 2 times a year. Figure $2500 plus registration so $30-40 year, plus maintaining it, storing it. I figured it would take at least 10 years to warrant buying it, and you all know me. Own something for 10 years .... LOL!!

Used trailers are a lot more reasonable and at least around here trailers of any sort sell like hot cakes and rarely depreciate much, old trailers that can be pulled with a pickup sell for maybe 10-20% less than new ones and never drop past that, its crazy.

Trailers that have dedicated loads like a boat do not need to be insured or licensed separately here in ND they fall under either the boat or the tow vehicle ins and license coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't ever see any used pontoon trailers.  Many are on Craigslist, and they're bought immediately.  My boat's on a large lake with fixed lifts/boathouses.  I'd say most pontoons sold here are without trailers.

I didn't use the trailer on my old pontoon boat, and sold it.  Because I couldn't get it out of the water often, I ignored properly maintaining my lower unit. And I burned out the bearings with bad seals and water intrusion.

When I bought my new Bennington 3 years ago, I went ahead and bought a trailer.  My new boat's maintained to perfection and I'd like to think it'll last at least as long as my old Starcraft--28 years. 

With a trailer, you can go to other lakes when you get bored with your regular lake.  We still intend to do some long distance river cruising--starting at 200 miles from Chattanooga downriver home.  Farthest we've been is to Pickwick Dam--the lake below us--at about 50 miles each way.

A trailer opens up new lakes for greater boating pleasure, and you can easily maintain and clean your boat seasonally.  I wholeheartedly recommend buying one.

Another reason I never bought a trailer. We have a 20 hp restricted lake. So taking my boat elsewhere with this motor would be like taking a Pinto to the Daytona 500. Yeah you could do it, but it just ain't right .... LOL!!

Back