Winterization - Wrap vs. Cover

Mzmans

Reaction score
Have a 2020 22’ SL. First time boat owner living in Washington. Boat will be stored on property outside at our home. Our salesperson told us “not to waste the money wrapping for winter,” rather use the Bennington OEM cover and just push excess snow off. Is wrapping the boat sufficiently beneficial over using cover that came with boat, interested in all your thoughts, experiences and pro’s/con’s. Thank you!

IMO what that salesperson is saying is wrong I would prefer to have it wrapped. Better yet for a new Bennington on my property I would consider building a garage or at the least one of those carport shelters

I believe you’d need to keep it cleared off. The weight of snow is going to really stretch it out over time, and then I’d think it wouldn’t fit well. Also, it would not take much to rip it out. The OEM covers are not supper heavy duty, and they do “breath” vs. being absolutely air and water tight. Thus, it just doesn’t seem like a the way to go. Just my 2 cents. However, mine is stored indoors at dealer each winter here in Michigan, so I have no personal experience.

I've had mine wrapped the last 4 years and would highly recommend it. All it takes is one good snowstorm and your cover will be stretched or ripped beyond repair. I just replaced my cover due to weathering and felt like I got a good deal paying $1,000. Not worth the risk IMHO.

I used to keep our boat in under roof storage in Virginia but since moving to NC we have had it shrink wrapped. It's piece of mind because a frame is built and then it's heat shrunk around it so it won't cave in under heavy snow. That being said our new boat sat outside at the dealer with just it's mooring cover last winter. Snowed once....

I finally built a kit RV shelter 14' W x40' L x12' High legs. (Versa Tube). It is tough in NW rainy weather to not get mildew spots on boat seating and in underseat storage from poor air circulation. I tried layering a full pontoon cover that Costco sells over top of mooring cover and it stopped rain entering but blocked the pole vents of mooring cover from venting and then mildew started forming. If you had screened vents to allow air to circulate maybe at door openings it would help. A covered storage is the best though. See picture. (just used boat so mooring cover not on. I would put it on over winter.) Note the 3 outside padded trailer guides for loading in wind. Loads so nice now. :cool: Also easy to see when trailer straight in mirrors while backing at boat ramp.IMG_4398.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all for your experiences and input. Very helpful. We don’t have the space nor do I think city would let us build a covered area. I think we will go with 3rd party indoor storage this year and re-evaluate thereafter to wrap and store uncovered in future off season on our property.

We pay $600 for indoor winter storage. been doing that for 7-8 years now. Best money we spent and don’t fill the dumpster with waste plastic.

I finally built a kit RV shelter 14' W x40' L x12' High legs. (Versa Tube). It is tough in NW rainy weather to not get mildew spots on boat seating and in underseat storage from poor air circulation. I tried layering a full pontoon cover that Costco sells over top of mooring cover and it stopped rain entering but blocked the pole vents of mooring cover from venting and then mildew started forming. If you had screened vents to allow air to circulate maybe at door openings it would help. A covered storage is the best though. See picture. (just used boat so mooring cover not on. I would put it on over winter.) Note the 3 outside padded trailer guides for loading in wind. Loads so nice now. :cool: Also easy to see when trailer straight in mirrors while backing at boat ramp.View attachment 27623

how much does a setup like this cost? How is it anchored to the ground?

how much does a setup like this cost? How is it anchored to the ground?
I bought the biggest and highest snow load model and it cost $4800. I built 2 forms each 1' wide x 40' long x 8" thick and had a concrete truck that mixes on site drive through middle and fill forms. I put down geotextile road fabric through middle area topped with 3/4" minus gravel. I drilled holes in concrete and used concrete anchors for wind protection. A friend of mine helped me put it together over 3 -4 days. Probably in it around $5600. They make cheaper models and you can even order frame without roofing metal and you can maybe buy custom cut metal roof sheets cheaper locally. You can also build it on level ground and they have long rebar anchors you can concrete fill holes dug in ground. I just thought concrete runners seemed like a good way to secure it. Found this full picture of VersaTube structure. Yes, it occasionally snows in Portand, Oregon! A41BECBE-088B-4F3A-AC35-60F4B9F70AF3.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you thought about closing it in completely? Make a nice workshop during “boating” season.

Look for indoor storage in your area! I pay $400. from Oct. 1st to April 30th indoor barn.

Look for indoor storage in your area! I pay $400. from Oct. 1st to April 30th indoor barn.
That’s a great price, pay almost triple that upstate NY

Have you thought about closing it in completely? Make a nice workshop during “boating” season.
There is a pole barn next to it that serves as a weather enclosed shop but you have good idea I might think about. Never have enough shop space. :p I need to clear out junk that has been stored way too long. Also Inherited old tractors and 2- 66 Cadillacs (Eldorado and DeVille) and 2- 60 Buick Electra 225's , all convertibles that I need to decide whether to keep or sell. 56 John Deere 420 crawler with blade

We pay $600 for indoor winter storage. been doing that for 7-8 years now. Best money we spent and don’t fill the dumpster with waste plastic.

Is there any concern with INDOOR storage? Bugs, mice, etc getting in there? I'm on the fence with storage options. It's a few bucks more for indoor, but they don't shrink wrap.

Mine is stored indoors ,I use dryer sheets for rodents

We have not had any trouble with critters in a tobacco barn in KY but several members have posted critter damage to the seats.

Pay $650 for indoor storage and have never had an issue with mice or animals. You risk mice damage here if you store it outside.

Is there any concern with INDOOR storage? Bugs, mice, etc getting in there? I'm on the fence with storage options. It's a few bucks more for indoor, but they don't shrink wrap.

So far so good. 8th year. They put mothballs in it, and we load it up with dryer sheets too

Man I'm jealous of you guys with the indoor storage. I would settle for under roof storage like we had in Virginia. Just to make sure the snow doesn't cave in the cover. (Only snowed once in our area last year.) Long waiting list for indoor storage......

Back