Winterization

Wishing the E - Tec becomes an industry standard for all manufacturers

109270358.jpg

Mind me asking what people are paying on average for a dealer winterization service, and the itemized steps performed?
Thanks

Mind me asking what people are paying on average for a dealer winterization service, and the itemized steps performed?
Thanks

My I/O used to run me about $325 every year to winterize the motor/grease the prop shaft/change the lower unit oil and engine oil. I have indoor storage so I never had to shrink wrap.
I can’t help much on a 4 stroke, my etec just uses a little bit of oil to fog and lower it all the way down to drain. I change the lower unit oil and the fuel filters myself, parts are usually less than $75.

I have a 22SSRX with Yamaha 150 and paid $803 for winterizing, shrink wrap and outdoor storage. Included fogging, fuel conditioner, change lower unit oil, oil change and filter. I drive the boat to the marina, put the cover on and walk away - they handle everything else.

The winterization is done at our docks.....under a roof and on a lift. The dealer actually comes to us and does all the work right there on our lift. Price for the service is the same as if I dropped the boat off at their docks and just left it floating at one of their docks. You get charged $45 to pull the boat and set it on a trailer to do the service then another $45 to put it back in the water. I'd rather have it at our own docks so it's always under roof and on a lift out of the water and less chance of damage loading and unloading.

Total for the service last year was just under 300.....that was them coming to us. For that you get: oil & filter - lower unit oil - pull prop and grease splines....and while it's apart inspect for any fishing line and the condition of the prop seal - sta-bil treatment of the fuel - fuel water separator filter change - disconnect the battery.

I know I can do the same service for roughly $100 in materials but we don't have a trailer and the 2500 (on the cheap end) that I would spend on a trailer I can has the marina service it and have no worries. Besides the motor was under factory warranty and I didn't want to have any problems should something arise out of a winterization gone bad. Don't get me wrong if I came across a smoking deal on a trailer I'd be doing the service myself every year.

Our docks:
DSCN0752_zps4fac8bb7.jpg

Never knew it cost so much to winterize an outboard or if they needed to be winterized at all. I was always told that all that was needed was to store the engine upright to drain any water out and that was it. People have told me that they wouldn't get an I/O because of the added annual expense of having to get it winterized and they couldn't use it in the winter time if a nice day came up. It seems that outboard winterizations are are on par with ours. I pay around $300/$325 for a full service winterization on our I/O.

Hey BK, upright draining is the minimum yes. I prefer to service mine to have clean oil in the engine, stabil in the fuel, check gearcase for water, and check behind prop for fishing line. DIY about $50 and one hour or so. Ready for next season.

Never knew it cost so much to winterize an outboard or if they needed to be winterized at all. I was always told that all that was needed was to store the engine upright to drain any water out and that was it. People have told me that they wouldn't get an I/O because of the added annual expense of having to get it winterized and they couldn't use it in the winter time if a nice day came up. It seems that outboard winterizations are are on par with ours. I pay around $300/$325 for a full service winterization on our I/O.
Marine oil is expensive along with oil and fuel filters. I change the engine oil, filter, gear grease, stabilize the gas and clean the pontoons annually, cost about $100.00 plus my labor. Since I got older, I let the dealer do it. Material price is the same and I pay them $200 in labor.

I don't trust people so I do my own maintenance.

I don't trust me doing mechanical - so I leave it to the pros

I've never let a mechanic touch my boat in its first 5 years running.

And I'm certainly not going to pay someone $300+ for an oil change and the lower unit grease--a 30 minute replacement. Mobil 1 EP 10W30 synthetic oil an oil filter that fits a Ford Focus 2.0 engine is cheap at Walmart. You can get Pennzoil lower unit grease for $5.50 a quart also. Next time I drive by a Yamaha dealer, I need to pickup a few lower unit drain plug gaskets--$1 items.

My grandkids do get mad at me when they find me draining the lower unit grease into their plastic Walmart swimming pool. I'm always looking for signs of water intrusion and metal shavings and find the pool the best way to look.

My grandkids do get mad at me when they find me draining the lower unit grease into their plastic Walmart swimming pool. I'm always looking for signs of water intrusion and metal shavings and find the pool the best way to look.

I'd be mad too if I was relaxing in a pool and someone started filling it with grease!!! Let them get out first!!!!

And I'm certainly not going to pay someone $300+ for an oil change and the lower unit grease--a 30 minute replacement. Mobil 1 EP 10W30 synthetic oil an oil filter that fits a Ford Focus 2.0 engine is cheap at Walmart. You can get Pennzoil lower unit grease for $5.50 a quart also. Next time I drive by a Yamaha dealer, I need to pickup a few lower unit drain plug gaskets--$1 items.

Never realized Ford Focus motors were used on boats, I share your concern about mechanics but when age starts creeping up and you still want to boat, you have to compromise.

Yup used to use Fram oil filters that fit Chevy Trucks, Blazers, and anything else that has the 4.3L engine. Used to cost $2.67 at Walmart. A "marine" oil filter was over $12.00....

20171020_172714.jpg

That would be a mouse nest made out of dryer sheets. It was on the boat last Winter.

Did you use moth balls too?

Back