Pittsburgh

Commodore
Reaction score
It must be me :eek:
Have owned the Benny for 3 Years now ,
BUT
I never seem to acclimate to the costs
Unfortunately I live 120 miles from the Desired Dealer
My hesitation not to pull the trailer that far is getting costly, which makes me think it is time to put a hitch on my vehicle and haul it back and forth myself. So winterizing and hauling this year will hit 1500.00
Significantly higher than the local guys doing winterizing in their garages , but I want to be sure the warranty is not voided so it is what it is.

42045317_2031125660511408_7848338574867955712_n.jpg

I keep telling myself it is worth it....... LOL

To be clear, having a non-dealer winterize your boat does not effect your warranty. Now, if one of the garage guys screws up and you have a problem, yes, you assume all risks. But a freeze up, for example, would be negligence and not covered by warranty anyway.

Pros and cons to each approach.

I had a similar situation and called our dealor and Yamaha. They assured me that if I kept records, used recommended lubricants and proper intervals that all would be good. So I have a local guy that I trust do my services.

I had a similar situation and called our dealor and Yamaha. They assured me that if I kept records, used recommended lubricants and proper intervals that all would be good. So I have a local guy that I trust do my services.

+1
I did the same thing and have a local do the winterizing and shrink wrap. Just keep your records.

Wow. Warranty issue aside that seems very high to winterize an outboard. Do others pay that much at a dealer?

The dealership is popular lol
So I guess so
I thought I was one of the furthest lakes but came to find out they not only do our state but even The UP of Michigan
Have to say I am in shock at that one with so many Bennington Dealers in Michigan
I could save $500.00 by hauling it back and forth myself but never wanted to take the risk of flipping it. Had a neighbor here at The Lake purchase a Boat from a different Dealer it was a New Build. The Dealership not a Bennington Dealer had one of their personnel deliver the Pontoon. While enroute in a small town the trailer and pontoon flipped fortunately noone was hurt and a New Pontoon was built. Not worth me taking the risk but with these prices I am giving it more thought.

Pressure Wash Pontoons and Motor.
Service & Winterize Motor (Change Oil and Filter, Change Gear lube and Gaskets).
Shrink-Wrap, Store Outside For winter through May 1st 2018.
Spring Commissioning (Remove and Dispose of Wrap, Charge and Check Fluids, Start Motor
Complimentary Sweep and Wash, Re-Deliver to Ramp) $985.00

42058763_2031162900507684_8340195674100334592_n.jpg

Hoping Pics Are Visible To All

I’m guessing you are paying mainly for the 120 mile haul?? My dealer charges $150-160 to pull, around $180 for service and then $500 for inside storage Nov 1st-April 1st. Luckily he’s lik3 2 miles from lake, but storage building is probably 8 miles??

Semperfi8387

The Hauling is 500.00
The Winterizing and Storage 985.00
Then ofcourse TAX
As you may remember having a reputable dealer is imperative to me
But the hauling I may have to do myself after this year just to save a few bucks

42217607_2031165863840721_6474685468125429760_o.jpg

Well that is quite a bit of service and I didn't realize it included storage and shrink wrapping. Makes sense now. Thanks.

Yeah, wrap on ours would be around $450, plus $150 outside storage so $500 inside makes more sense for us. Plus no extra dumpster material in the spring. ;)

I’m guessing you are paying mainly for the 120 mile haul?? My dealer charges $150-160 to pull, around $180 for service and then $500 for inside storage Nov 1st-April 1st. Luckily he’s lik3 2 miles from lake, but storage building is probably 8 miles??

SemperFi if I am correct that dealer also charges to put boat in at Spring wouldn't it be cost effective to purchase a trailer. BTW that is one good price for inside storage as prices start at $800 at Sacandaga

Link,
I figure it would take years to pay for a trailer. If I had a trailer, it’s at least $30/month storage for it (no where to store it at my house). So that’s $360 year, almost the same as my pull/drop fee. I figure the cost of trailer equals about 9-1/2 years of pull/drop fees. That does not factor in the yearly registration, tires every 3-4 years, etc.... PLUS I’d need to get a vehicle to pull it. Our Jeep JKU would be at max if not over tow weight. At that rate, I’ll let dealer mess with it. Now if an emergency came up, I’d go buy one and deal with the ramifications later ... ;)

My winterizing is costing me a lot lot lot .... this year. Started off as a 30x50 now evolved into a 40x40 with a 20x40 awning on the front. Going with closed-cell spray foam insulation and a couple of propane radiant heaters.

Attachments

• IMG_3915.JPG
    IMG_3915.JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 46
I wish I had built a 30x45 shop up at my parents (minutes from the lake)! Wouldn't have sold my boat if I had! The extra 5 feet would have been nice for 'swing' room. Figured tip to tail I was 33'6", having 10' to manoeuvre instead of 5'6 since it wouldn't be just a straight backup with where my door was going to be. Plus then it gave me room behind for work station for winterizing. Wife was a little worried about spending that much money on something on my parents property (God forbid something happens to them) , thought it could get touchy figuring out with my brother and sister since my brother and I weren't really on good terms at the time!

That's a whole lotta concrete!! Can't wait to see the updated pics as it moves along!

I wish I had built a 30x45 shop up at my parents (minutes from the lake)! Wouldn't have sold my boat if I had! The extra 5 feet would have been nice for 'swing' room. Figured tip to tail I was 33'6", having 10' to manoeuvre instead of 5'6 since it wouldn't be just a straight backup with where my door was going to be. Plus then it gave me room behind for work station for winterizing. Wife was a little worried about spending that much money on something on my parents property (God forbid something happens to them) , thought it could get touchy figuring out with my brother and sister since my brother and I weren't really on good terms at the time!

That's a whole lotta concrete!! Can't wait to see the updated pics as it moves along!

I can't wait either, although I guess I will. I'm 3rd in line with my builder..... annnnd here comes the rain. And don't let your wife talk to my wife because I'm not sure she knows just how much I AM spending. lol She's only seen the concrete bill so far.

Just got a quote for winter warehousing of my 22' here in NJ. $1800!
Need to find an alternative!
You need to move out of NJ like we did. :cool:

It must be me :eek:
Have owned the Benny for 3 Years now ,
BUT
I never seem to acclimate to the costs
Unfortunately I live 120 miles from the Desired Dealer
My hesitation not to pull the trailer that far is getting costly, which makes me think it is time to put a hitch on my vehicle and haul it back and forth myself. So winterizing and hauling this year will hit 1500.00
Significantly higher than the local guys doing winterizing in their garages , but I want to be sure the warranty is not voided so it is what it is.
I started storing at Deep Creek lake, Storage from September to June in an unheated building, + clean 3 pontoons, change oil and gear grease is about $1600. Prior to that I trailered the boat , cleaned it in my driveway, did all winterizing and towed it to the limestone mine in Wampum, Pa. I stored it in the controlled environment area of the mine which was more expensive. After factoring in trailer costs and materials plus my labor I am probably paying $200 more at Deep Creek.

42045317_2031125660511408_7848338574867955712_n.jpg

I keep telling myself it is worth it....... LOL

Back