Yamaha 150 Auxiliary charging lead

brentah

Reaction score
I have been doing extensive research in preparation to install a 2nd battery(house battery) and I see most people buy the add-a-battery kit from Blue Seas or use a combination of just a combiner or just a switch.

I just found some information that Yamaha 150's and above after 2003 have an auxiliary charge lead that you can connect to a 2nd battery.  Post with the info is here.

If this is true, then it seems all I need to install is a switch if I ever want to combine the batteries for starting.

I am hoping somebody can comment on their experience with this feature that looks to be available.

Additionally, once I get this hooked up I am concerned that the 35A alternator might not be able to fully charge the battery after a long day of stereo playing while beached...pretty sure I am going to install a dual-bank charger so I can plug into shore power after bringing the toon home.

After doing more research, I think I am going to return my add-a-battery kit, get the auxiliary  lead and use my Perko switch...less wiring and will be simpler for me to do myself from what I can tell...another link with some good reading...not too excited about paying $70 for the auxiliary lead though!

Straight from the 2011 rigging manua, page 264l...looks to be true on F150s and above.  Looks like part for F150 can be had for about $40 here...going to double-check with local Yamaha dealer to make sure.

I put in the ACR with no switch. Since I keep a set of jumper cables on board, I don't need the switch. In the rare event the batteries need to be combined (one dies) I can jump myself. Easy Derrick.

I have not heard about this Yamaha feature. Sounds really nice though. Not sure what's so special about the lead to make it cost so much...

Not sure what's so special about the lead to make it cost so much...
It probably has the word "Boat" in it ..... So triple the price .....

Bust Out Another Thousand

good find! My 2001 175 HPDI did not have this option. The Real Knotty post was a little foggy on the install. Sounds like he still connected the Blue Sea system. I'm looking at options. My thoughts are that I will leave the starting alone. Run the aux to the Blue sea, then house and winch batteries. I always have a jumper pack on the boat and after 14 years never had to use it to start. I was always concerned with my house and trolling motor batteries running down. Thanks again.

After doing more research, I think I am going to return my add-a-battery kit, get the auxiliary lead and use my Perko switch...less wiring and will be simpler for me to do myself from what I can tell...another link with some good reading...not too excited about paying $70 for the auxiliary lead though!

How is the Yamaha auxiliary lead working?

Back