RPM RANGE​

5,000-6,000
5,000 - 6,000
5,000-6,000

COMPRESSION RATIO​

10.3:1
10.3:1

INDUCTION SYSTEM​

EFI (DOHC) with variable camshaft timing (VCT)
EFI (DOHC)
DOHC / 24 valves direct action with variable camshaft timing (VCT)

ALTERNATOR OUTPUT​

50 Amps
50 Amps
50 Amps

FUEL DELIVERY​

Multi-point electronic fuel injection

STARTING​

Electric w/PTT
Electric w/PTT
Electric

IGNITION​

TCI Microcomputer
TCI Microcomputer
TCI Microcomputer

LUBRICATION​

Wet sump
Wet sump
Wet sump

DEGREE OF TRIM/TILT​

-4° through +16°
-3° through +16°
-4° through +16°/66° w/PTT

EXHAUST​

Through Propeller
Through Propeller
Through Propeller. Water-cooled, Labyrinth

COOLING​

Thermostatic Control
Thermostatic Control
Raw water, Thermostatic Control

GEAR SHIFT​

F/N/R
F/N/R
F/N/R

GEAR RATIO​

28/14 (2.0:1)
26:14 (1.86:1)
21/12 (1.75:1)

FUEL & LUBRICATION​

I would go with the 200 vmax. The v6 has way more punch than the 4 cylinder 200, and will hold its speed better with a loaded boat.

The v6 has way more punch than the 4 cylinder 200, and will hold its speed better with a loaded boat.

To expand on that, the 200 hp 4 cylinder reaches a max torque rating of 257 Nm @ 5000 rpm. The 200 hp V6, with more rotational mass, reaches a max torque rating of 353 Nm @ 3300 rpm. When you consider the V6's ability to run a prop with more pitch for added passengers and/or tubing, the decision should be easier.

Don't forget resale value in your argument (;)) with your wife. You'll pay more up front, but you'll recover some of the delta when you sell.

Not Yamahas, but I have driven a 150 and 200 Mercury, as well as the v6 Mercury Verado Pro w/ the Supercharger. We ended up going with the 200 Mercury Verado Pro, which would be akin to the 200 Vmax.

It is a VERY noticeable difference as you move up through those three configurations. Even the normal 200 Merc in 2017 compared to the Verado was HIGHLY noticeable. The hole shot AND WOT with the Verado Pro was a HUGE difference. We paid all the extra money and went for it. No regrets….other than not spending more and getting an SPS+ and a 250 Verado…

In regards to water sports, and total performance options at your throttle tip, you will not regret the 200 Vmax. However, if you are good with balanced performance, that still more than meets your tubing needs, the 150 and normal 200 certainly meet those needs and do so more fuel efficiently.

But if talking performance, the 200 Vmax should have noticeable punch right from the start if you were to test drive back to back. I know my Mercury Verado Pro did/does…and I wouldn’t consider any other motor again as a result.

That said, if that money would otherwise go towards a jet ski to compliment the boat as you said, who knows. People could get their kicks for speed on the jet ski, and still do ALL the water sports you have in mind with the normal 150 and normal 200. Really no bad decision to be made here if you are spending that money either way…

Agree with Vikingstaff. You will be able to do everything on your list with a 150, and nobody would likely notice the difference except you. Spend the 8k on a jet ski/hoist/gift for your spouse/other toys and everyone will be happy!

(I had ordered a 175SHO in Oct 2020 for my 23SSRCX, still probably on a ship in the Pacific. Ended up with a 150 SHO and love it. Tubing, cruising and top speed 39mph).

I was always told that if you are worried about the price of gas ,then you should not own a boat
That's funny. On another site this morning, where major pessimism is setting in over 2022 gas prices, that exact comment was made by several. "If you are worried about gas prices, you should NOT have bought a boat". The way I see it is that you can't do anything about it anyway, so you might as well not complain about it. Just go enjoy boating.

Last edited:
Love my 175 Vmax on my 22' L. Have had 10 on it and pulled 2 tubers just fine. Even at 89 octane requirement, not bad at the pump. Perfect size motor for our needs. We are Bimini up all summer so we keep it under 30 99% of the time. Morning time I run it at 40 to feel the wind in my hair

I was always told that if you are worried about the price of gas ,then you should not own a boat

Or a Jeep Wrangler, or an old Hemi pickup … ask me how I know. :D :D :D

DieselMan, nice rundown. I would add that both the 150SHO and F200 have 89 octane specified (see link for more info). Does that matter to you? Also, electronically limited engines can be strange critters as they may, mostly, perform very nearly the same as the higher HP in the series, but also nearly flatline at some predetermined RPM. That kind of power curve can be a head-scratcher for prop selection, but isn't a big deal if you realize what is happening. Both the 150 SHO and the 200 V6 are in that category. One thing from the link below is that the weight difference is surprisingly little, except for the specialty 200...that you aren't likely to see anyway.

Nickevans10, don't know your situation. For us, having both a pontoon and a PWC beats just having just a high-performance pontoon (to be fair, we have a power boat too). It's really a matter of how you want to distribute available funds. On a 22 footer, 150's do pretty well and a step to a 4-banger 175 or 200 can add some top end. Is the extra off-idle and midrange punch of the V6 of that much value to you?

https://boattest.com/comparison-matrix/outboard-engine-comparison-matrix

Also keep in mind the V6 gear ratio allows the prop to spin faster - so at WOT you'll see another 200-ish RPM. May not be that life changing but something to consider.

Also keep in mind the V6 gear ratio allows the prop to spin faster - so at WOT you'll see another 200-ish RPM. May not be that life changing but something to consider.
Oh boy, that's pretty deep in the weeds for this discussion! But yes, for correctly pitched prop selection, at the same WOT RPM, the PROP RPM across the considered motors would exceed 400. Don't see that as a player for a non-racing pontoon boat.

Oh boy, that's pretty deep in the weeds for this discussion! But yes, for correctly pitched prop selection, at the same WOT RPM, the PROP RPM across the considered motors would exceed 400. Don't see that as a player for a non-racing pontoon boat.

Brother, once you get the speed bug it never goes away! Nothing is more satisfying than looking over at the captain of the bowrider across from you and seeing the shame he feels as a lowly pontoon is overtaking him! I usually give a little wave to his wife just to give an extra twist of the dagger.

Another reason to consider the V6 is longevity - it would stand to reason those I4's when pushed to their limits on these heavy pontoons have to work harder. You can solve for that by propping down but then you're giving up performance in return. The there is no argument in my mind that the V6 is better by most measures other than cost and fuel efficiency. Same decision with passenger vehicles - do you want a budget Chevy Malibu that is simply a good commuter or an overpriced Silverado with a 3.0 diesel that can tow/haul/offroad and go 500k miles. I would venture the OP is somewhere in the middle.

I really appreciate all the feedback and input. I agree the best motor is by far the 200 v6 vmax. But when I look at what I'll primarily be doing which is pulling a tub around 20 mph and that I still need to buy 2 jet skis I've decided to just stick with the f150. I understand I'm losing some hole shot and top end, but in looking at fuel economy and total price I'm going the cheaper route.

Maybe I'll regret it, but I can always buy a new Bennington in 5 years.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

I really appreciate all the feedback and input. I agree the best motor is by far the 200 v6 vmax. But when I look at what I'll primarily be doing which is pulling a tub around 20 mph and that I still need to buy 2 jet skis I've decided to just stick with the f150. I understand I'm losing some hole shot and top end, but in looking at fuel economy and total price I'm going the cheaper route.

Maybe I'll regret it, but I can always buy a new Bennington in 5 years.

Cheers and Merry Christmas
That 150 is fully capable of doing what you want! My wife and adult kids regularly ski/wakeboard behind our Merc 150 with no problems. What was the price difference between that F150 and 200 vmax?

That 150 is fully capable of doing what you want! My wife and adult kids regularly ski/wakeboard behind our Merc 150 with no problems. What was the price difference between that F150 and 200 vmax?
The price difference is crazy,list is 8k. Assuming I get 10% off I'm over 7k. Ill buy a jet ski for that amount. Also will get about 70% better gas mileage

Honestly Nick, I don’t think you’ll regret it at all. That 150 will have plenty of power for what you will be doing. I don’t think you’ll miss “more” power that is really only used when you want a bit of a speed thrill, especially when its going towards jet skis.

A 200 Vmax still wouldn’t have compared to the jet ski experience.We just added our first jet ski at our lake house this past summer while our boat was down for repairs. Wish we could/would have had one out of the gate ourselves. I am very confident you will be so pleased with your motor.

Now… that itch to want the newer eye candy Bennignton in 5 years, you’ll probably get that no matter what. Always something a little slicker looking or some new layout, feature or option that springs up from time to time. Good luck resisting that expensive urge. Around here they call that PADS. ;)

All those bulletins are for the old F150 2.7 go with the SHO 150 2.8 for a few hundred more you get VCT more midrange power. Both are great motors.

I wish it was a few hundred. It's showing 2k differences. If it was less than 500 Id do it for sure..

Also I couldn't find any performance data on the SHO 150. Do you know of any

Back