Yamaha 150 vs 200 SHO

nickevans10

Reaction score
Although I've already ordered by 22 LFB with the Yamaha 150 I'm having second thoughts about the 200.

I see the Yamaha 150 is an inline 4, 2.7 liter, where the 200 sho is V6 4.2 liter. Both can run on 87 octane.

The msrp cost difference is pretty big around 8K.

My dealer told me the 150 vs 200 wasn't worth it, but when I look at the 200 sho it looks likes very intriguing.

I also have seen the ability to do an ecu flash to move the 200 to around 325 hp for around 1k.

I've got kids and we'll be doing tubing so we'll be cruising around 20. With that said I'm sure I'll love to punch it so looking for great hole shot and nice top speed.

That 8k could go into a new jet ski or the 200 sho. I know everyone says always get the biggest possible.

Does anyone have experience with these two options and can provide your experience? Thanks.

Also my order isn't supposed to be done until June so I'm assuming I could make an order change, assuming they even have them in stock.

Last edited:
I went through the same thing with my 2014 RCW .I went with the 150 and regretted it for 6 years . Get the 200 . No one has ever said " I wish I had less HP " And you will never pay less for HP than at the time of initial purchase

I went through the same thing with my 2014 RCW .I went with the 150 and regretted it for 6 years . Get the 200 . No one has ever said " I wish I had less HP " And you will never pay less for HP than at the time of initial purchase
Now I need to convince the wife

Don't tell her :cool: .
Actually on the Q we just ordered , I was going with the SPS and a 200 . It was my wife's idea to get the SPS Plus and a 250 . How could I argue ?

When gas prices hit $10/gal that 150 will be the better choice. But until then, with the use you have planned for the boat the V6 is the way to go. Obviously just make sure you get the 25" model.

The 25 inch vs 21 you mean?
The motor comes in two shaft lengths - 25 and 20. The 20 is for shorter transoms primarily bass boats and smaller CC's, while the 25 is better suited for pontoons and larger boats. If you don't specify the longer shaft dealer might accidentally order the 20 and you'll likely be ventilating the prop.

I was always told that if you are worried about the price of gas ,then you should not own a boat

Perhaps, but I was always told a fool and his money are soon parted. I'm putting $150 into the pump every other trip so the pain is getting real! Time to start driving like grandma is in the back seat with a crockpot full of hot soup in her lap!

Although I've already ordered by 22 LFB with the Yamaha 150 I'm having second thoughts about the 200.

I see the Yamaha 150 is an inline 4, 2.7 liter, where the 200 sho is V6 4.2 liter. Both can run on 87 octane.

The msrp cost difference is pretty big around 8K.

My dealer told me the 150 vs 200 wasn't worth it, but when I look at the 200 sho it looks likes very intriguing.

I also have seen the ability to do an ecu flash to move the 200 to around 325 hp for around 1k.

I've got kids and we'll be doing tubing so we'll be cruising around 20. With that said I'm sure I'll love to punch it so looking for great hole shot and nice top speed.

That 8k could go into a new jet ski or the 200 sho. I know everyone says always get the biggest possible.

Does anyone have experience with these two options and can provide your experience? Thanks.

Also my order isn't supposed to be done until June so I'm assuming I could make an order change, assuming they even have them in stock.
I can’t help you with a comparison, but go with the 200 if you can swing it. Otherwise, as Jack suggested, you may very well regret it every time out.

And here is another one . Its better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Tell your wife the wait for 150s is longer than the 200s

Perhaps, but I was always told a fool and his money are soon parted. I'm putting $150 into the pump every other trip so the pain is getting real! Time to start driving like grandma is in the back seat with a crockpot full of hot soup in her lap!
Just remember…..you don’t have to go full throttle every time when using to boat. ⚓⚓

Just remember…..you don’t have to go full throttle every time when using to boat. ⚓⚓
Yep, we go to the sand bar and back ,it's no wake zone down the river . But I do go wot once we hit the lake to the sand bar

Flashing that ECU will also most likely void the warranty, and the SPS is not made for that kind of HP
It also voids insurance coverage if there is a claim if you go above the HP that the hull max is rated for. And of course, the SPS hull is not rated for that HP because it is not engineered to withstand those stresses. Thus I have to believe one would just be courting problems down the road, if not potential serious safety issues. That is why I never flashed my 200 HP Mercury on our SPS hull. Would have loved to do it when it was still an option, but the above issues kept me from doing it.

If you went with the SPS+ you could flash up to 250 and be okay on everything but motor warranty. If you go with ESP, then you could flash it all the way up with no issues other than motor warranty. Just depends on what hull you spec’d up in the order.

You can get the in line F200 same block as the 150 SHO for 1200 more same 200 hp as the 4.2 block

Back