Your 2021 College Football Thread

What a win by Purdue. Wow. Auburn and LSU taking down top 20 teams as well. Going to get interesting for sure

I miss that, Jeff. EL in the fall is magical. My kids still live there and send their kids to Haslett schools, so all is good with the world.
Ummm Randy, Haslett High School is were I retired from in 2020 (social studies chair last 20 years and main world history and only AP US history teacher). Our youngest of 4 kids is a senior this year, so we’ll be wrapping up having kids in their system at the end of this year.

Last year and this year I do occasional subbing for them due to shortage and understaffing (which I try to balance between their extreme need, and my want of retirement). PM me sometime with families last name - should you care too. Curious. Small World! Had no idea.

Looked like a fun time! Especially with a win!
A win always helps ease the pain of travel!

Good to be back home! First (of many I hope) trip to Camp Randall was a great experience!
The Army fans and players are top notch!!!
We had good seats, but they were sized for teenage girls, not adults.
Poor gal ahead of us stood up and leaned back to let a 300+ lb guy pass by. He smiled and said "No, I'm sitting right here" which was right next to her. She smiled politely, but you could sure see the disappointment in her body language! It was funny, even though I basically had him in my lap the whole time. Oh well, we're all there to have fun!

"Jump Around" is fun!
2 minutes is a LONG time for a 56 year old fella to jump up and down in such a confined place!

There simply isn't much in life that can beat the atmosphere of a college football game!

A win always helps ease the pain of travel!

Good to be back home! First (of many I hope) trip to Camp Randall was a great experience!
The Army fans and players are top notch!!!
We had good seats, but they were sized for teenage girls, not adults.
Poor gal ahead of us stood up and leaned back to let a 300+ lb guy pass by. He smiled and said "No, I'm sitting right here" which was right next to her. She smiled politely, but you could sure see the disappointment in her body language! It was funny, even though I basically had him in my lap the whole time. Oh well, we're all there to have fun!

"Jump Around" is fun!
2 minutes is a LONG time for a 56 year old fella to jump up and down in such a confined place!

There simply isn't much in life that can beat the atmosphere of a college football game!
Speaking of "seats".....My daughter bought us lawn seats to see Earth Wind and Fire at Charlotte Metro Credit Union Amphitheater. But since she bought them I had hip replacement surgery and sitting on the ground or in a low beach chair wasn't going to happen. So we went to the front gate looking to upgrade our seats but was told that it was a sold out show. No problem. We thanked her and I explained why we were trying to upgrade. She said follow me and she sat us in an ADA section about 50 feet from the stage. No charge! She really hooked us up and we appreciated it!

I think that the Blue Hens will give your Dukes a good game.

I think that the Blue Hens will give your Dukes a good game.
Funny you mentioned the Blue Hens! A guy I worked/retired with graduated from there and that's all I heard about for 28 years! Got a text from him that he's going to the game. Another Delaware story......saw them at JMU back in 2006/2007. They had a tall QB that was just flinging that ball all over the field. We were wondering who this kid was?!? Turned out it was Joe Flacco....

We had MSU season basketball tickets from about 1996-2003 (too many late weekday games to keep up with as a father and teacher) , and season football tickets from 1995-2013. After 2003, we just went to 1-2 home basketball games per year, and have traveled for half of the final fours and NCAA championships that MSU has been in for hoops.

Starting in 2014 we gave up our season football tickets due to kids in college ($), but then started going to the Big Ten Championship and bowl games (negating $ savings…d’oh!). Saw 2 MSU Big Ten championship victories, 1 Rose Bowl, and the 2 Cotton Bowls 2014-2016. The Big Ten does a PHENOMENAL job for their conference championship games. If you ever have the chance, it is so worth doing. It really does revival a lot of what goes on in the playoff/big bowl games, and NCAA Final Four/Championships.

The in person atmosphere for college football and basketball is second to none in my opinion. Absolutely love it. However, as I have gotten older, I just am not up for weekly games. It is too much for me. I like watching most games from the comfort of home, and traveling for the “big deal” games: Big Ten Chapionships, NCAA bowl games/playoffs, or NCAA hoops tournament games.

I agree. We try to go to one or two college games a year. That way it's a special occasion as well.
Also, if you go to a game, that's usually the only game you get to watch. Normal Saturdays I get at least 3 games in!

I agree. We try to go to one or two college games a year. That way it's a special occasion as well.
Also, if you go to a game, that's usually the only game you get to watch. Normal Saturdays I get at least 3 games in!
Totally with you this.

I was talking to wife last weekend. In retirement I had always wanted to go to 1 MSU Big Ten away games per year until we hit up all the conference schools.

In the course of our life (met in college) we’ve both been to the Big House for a couple of MSU games, and down to Columbus and the horse shoe (this one was in college, and boy was that crazy!).

Anyway, we have not been to any of the other Big Ten stadiums. Kind of a bucket list over time item of mine.

With Covid, it just fell out of sight and out of mind these past two years. Now my wife and I are talking about maybe beginning to do this starting next year when our youngest goes off to college and we are slightly more freed up in the fall. Looking forward to someday getting up to Camp Randel. Looks like an awesome atmosphere on TV. :)

Totally with you this.

I was talking to wife last weekend. In retirement I had always wanted to go to 1 MSU Big Ten away games per year until we hit up all the conference schools.

In the course of our life (met in college) we’ve both been to the Big House for a couple of MSU games, and down to Columbus and the horse shoe (this one was in college, and boy was that crazy!).

Anyway, we have not been to any of the other Big Ten stadiums. Kind of a bucket list over time item of mine.

With Covid, it just fell out of sight and out of mind these past two years. Now my wife and I are talking about maybe beginning to do this starting next year when our youngest goes off to college and we are slightly more freed up in the fall. Looking forward to someday getting up to Camp Randel. Looks like an awesome atmosphere on TV. :)
Sounds like a cool bucket list trip! I've been to a bunch of ACC college football stadiums. But only 1 Big 10 football stadium. Maryland! (Of course Maryland used to be in the ACC) It's probably half the capacity as the Big House but still a fantastic football game day experience!!!

Wife and I moved from WV to SC almost 40 years ago, but our blood still runs Old Gold and Blue. We are 500 miles from Morgantown and had season tickets from 2009 to 2019. We rarely missed a home game and always put on a big tailgate party in the Blue Lot next to the stadium. When we joined the Big 12 conference in 2012, we realized most of the visiting fans would be making their first trip to WV when they came. They would be making a significant effort by traveling a huge distance (our CLOSEST opponent is 861 miles away in Ames, IA). And we started with no rivalries. So we did whatever we could to make their trip unforgettable. I would join the opposing teams' forums and invite them to our tailgate and give them tips on what to see. On gameday, I'd roam the area and pull visiting fans over. We provided all the food and drinks and we'd have dozens of opposing fans at our party. I can't adequately express how rewarding it was. We made so many friends we still keep in touch with who would come back season after season.

Then Covid hit and then my wife got cancer. We skipped all of last season and thought we could go this Fall. Unfortunately, with her compromised immune system, there is no way for her to be safe in a huge crowd so we had to punt on this season as well. We're really looking forward to getting Covid and cancer behind us so we can get back to what we love.

Wife and I moved from WV to SC almost 40 years ago, but our blood still runs Old Gold and Blue. We are 500 miles from Morgantown and had season tickets from 2009 to 2019. We rarely missed a home game and always put on a big tailgate party in the Blue Lot next to the stadium. When we joined the Big 12 conference in 2012, we realized most of the visiting fans would be making their first trip to WV when they came. They would be making a significant effort by traveling a huge distance (our CLOSEST opponent is 861 miles away in Ames, IA). And we started with no rivalries. So we did whatever we could to make their trip unforgettable. I would join the opposing teams' forums and invite them to our tailgate and give them tips on what to see. On gameday, I'd roam the area and pull visiting fans over. We provided all the food and drinks and we'd have dozens of opposing fans at our party. I can't adequately express how rewarding it was. We made so many friends we still keep in touch with who would come back season after season.

Then Covid hit and then my wife got cancer. We skipped all of last season and thought we could go this Fall. Unfortunately, with her compromised immune system, there is no way for her to be safe in a huge crowd so we had to punt on this season as well. We're really looking forward to getting Covid and cancer behind us so we can get back to what we love.
That was so cool of you to do!!!

We're at the point where the cream is starting to separate & rise to the top, and fans of some teams start to accept reality and begin the "maybe next year" process.

We're at the point where the cream is starting to separate & rise to the top, and fans of some teams start to accept reality and begin the "maybe next year" process.

You're exactly right, Bill: In typical B1G fashion, they're going to beat the heck out of each other, nuke each other's rankings, and get set out to the curb (except for OSU, probably).
Some tough match-ups for the rest of the season:

#5 OSU
...Penn State
...Michigan State
...Michigan

#6 Michigan
...Michigan State
...Penn State
...Ohio State

#8 Michigan State
...Michigan
...Ohio State
...Penn State

#9 Iowa
...Wisconsin

It's confusing that Cincinnati is ranked #2, and I'm starting to think this weaker strength of schedule Cincinnati is only ranked #2 right now to generate money for the AAC and be a CFP place-holder drop-out to keep #5-10 fighting hard to take their (Cincinnati's) T4 spot by the end of the season.
...I just don't see the justification in ranking them so high, especially with the *remaining games against weaker teams:
Miami OH (4-4)
Murray State (3-4)
Indiana (2-5)
Notre Dame (6-1)
Temple (3-4)
UCF (4-3)
Navy (1-6)
*Tulane (1-6, NR)
*Tulsa (3-4, NR)
*South Florida (2-5, NR)
*Southern Methodist (7-0, #19)
*East Carolina (3-4, NR)

Not knocking the Bearcats at all, but I don't think that they are a #2 team.
Sure, they beat ND, a nice accomplishment. Beyond that, their schedule does little to test their meddle. Every B1G team (East or West) faces a much harder schedule. Some may argue that some FCS teams face a tougher schedule!
There are far better one loss teams out there, and a few two loss teams that are better.
But at the end of the day they are still an undefeated FBS team and if kept out of the four team playoffs have a right to cry foul.
The only answer is a larger playoff field of teams.
They would truly benefit from a tougher schedule.

Back