Your 2021 College Football Thread

Hey Bill your Vikings had a golden opportunity to beat those Cowboys (with an untested back up quarterback) last night.
Being a lifelong Vikings fan has made me a stronger person. I am very well prepared to deal with disappointment, thanks to them.

Being a lifelong Vikings fan has made me a stronger person. I am very well prepared to deal with disappointment, thanks to them.
LOL - then imagine the fortitude of us Lions fans. So strong we want to cry every Sunday. :D

Redskin fan here! So frustrating to watch. Move the ball down field and can't score! Got rid of their kicker a couple weeks ago. Signed a guy named (I'm not kidding) "Blewitt". Has had 3 kicks blocked in 2 games. My wife asks me why I put myself through this aggravation every week?!? Because a true fan sticks with their team no matter what! I'm with ya Detroit fans!

Some goofy numbers in your ESPN rankings...
Mich St falling a spot to 15?
Mich still at 5?

That's not the ranking. It's ESPN's College Football Power Index. "FPI is a predictive rating system designed to measure team strength and project performance going forward. The ultimate goal of FPI is not to rank teams 1 through 128; rather, it is to correctly predict games and season outcomes. If Vegas ever published the power rankings it uses to set its lines, they would likely look quite a lot like FPI."

Here's an article on the whole FPI process...An inside look at College FPI

First FCP rankings of the session. We’ll see how they unfold over the next five weeks.
D7D4DDD4-290D-4F32-B72C-7A9B4A6E8AD7.jpeg

Michigan State should be #2...

The playoffs should at LEAST be the top 8!!! What do you think?!?

Without a doubt!
I'd vote for 12 or 16. I'm not saying #16 has a shot, because they don't, but they still deserve to be included as a reward for an outstanding season. As competitive as FBS is, a bowl game is not ample reward for out-performing 90% of your peers. Inclusion and recognition will also help these schools recruiting efforts. As is, if you are looking at say Wake Forest and 'Bama you would pick 'bama because Wake Forest could go undefeated and never get to the playoffs which means less visibility to pro scouts and endorsement opportunities. We need to at least attempt to level the playing field somewhat or parity is only a myth.

I have thought this since the inception of the CFP. Couldn’t agree more!!!

Same for me...8 minimum.

I thought it should've been structured as the winners of the P5 conferences, then 3 at-large teams from any conference based on final rankings.

Look at how many bowl games we have now. When bowl season starts, there is a game on TV nearly every day. Even teams with 6-6 records go to bowls. That's not about rewarding them, it's about money. Why not use the bowls already in place to set up a 16-team playoff? And yes, #16 could have a shot at the title if they are good/lucky enough and only lost a couple of early games because of short-term key player injuries. Teams could drop 2 non-conference opponents from their schedules so they don't end up playing 17 games. We would still debate about who should be in the 16-team field, but I think once the teams are named, we would all agree that the best team in the land is in it. With just 4 teams, we don't.

Daril, Wow - the CAA really shafted JMU sports teams nearly across the board. Football escapes, but all but two other sports are being excluded from conference championship eligiblity due to future intention to jump conferences and an old rule. Have you heard much about it? Thoughts?

That is so unfair for all those college athletes in those various sports that play no role in the decision making, but have dedicated themselves to success in their sports. Really surprised by the seeming pettiness based on the SI article I was reading.

Daril, Wow - the CAA really shafted JMU sports teams nearly across the board. Football escapes, but all but two other sports are being excluded from conference championship eligiblity due to future intention to jump conferences and an old rule. Have you heard much about it? Thoughts?

That is so unfair for all those college athletes in those various sports that play no role in the decision making, but have dedicated themselves to success in their sports. Really surprised by the seeming pettiness based on the SI article I was reading.
Yes very unfair to all of the athletes involved in their respective sports. Basically punishing them for leaving. Bullshit!!!

Bison playing like dung. Down 24-7 at half.
Holy crap! Maryland played well enough to win but didn't take advantage of prime opportunities. Same crap every week! JMU won big! Huskers had their chances today. What in the world happened to MSU?!?

Well…MSU‘s pass defense really stunk today! More than usual for the season which is saying a lot. 3rd down was pretty much automatic for them all day long. We couldn’t stop them on 3rd for the life of us.

Frustrating loss. Hoping to regroup. Maryland/MSU next Saturday at Spartan stadium.

Well…MSU‘s pass defense really stunk today! More than usual for the season which is saying a lot. 3rd down was pretty much automatic for them all day long. We couldn’t stop them on 3rd for the life of us.

Frustrating loss. Hoping to regroup. Maryland/MSU next Saturday at Spartan stadium.
MD/MSU next week?!? Oh great! Ha!

Back