150 mercury vibration

dgcat

Reaction score
just dropped my 24 ft benny in the water today. have had I/O .s.\ previously. been yrs since I,ve been in an outboard. this is my first pontoon. is the vibration normal when u put it in gear at an idle. can be felt vibrating threw the boat. it smooths up when u get some throttle. is this normal. thx.  love the boat otherwise so far   . dan

Tell your dealer to put in a Flo-Torq IV hub for the prop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Sounds like you have prop rattle. Very common with stainless steel props. I have a flo-torq 3 and while it didn't rattle last season, it does now at very low rpms in gear. It's a combination of a stainless steel prop and that particular breakaway hub (which is very rigid).

The flo-torq 4 is supposed to eliminate this as it flexes more and stops the prop rattle.

You could try an aluminum prop to confirm this. Aluminum props don't rattle as the metal is softer. If the rattle/vibration goes away with an aluminum prop, then you've narrowed it down to this simple fix. If I recall, the flo-torq 4 is $100. The 3 is $60, so not much more. And you should have a spare.

I agree. Sounds like you have prop rattle. Very common with stainless steel props. I have a flo-torq 3 and while it didn't rattle last season, it does now at very low rpms in gear. It's a combination of a stainless steel prop and that particular breakaway hub (which is very rigid).

The flo-torq 4 is supposed to eliminate this as it flexes more and stops the prop rattle.

You could try an aluminum prop to confirm this. Aluminum props don't rattle as the metal is softer. If the rattle/vibration goes away with an aluminum prop, then you've narrowed it down to this simple fix. If I recall, the flo-torq 4 is $100. The 3 is $60, so not much more. And you should have a spare.
Dan, remove your prop and load it up with waterproof grease, the rattle will go away.

Dan, remove your prop and load it up with waterproof grease, the rattle will go away.
thx for the replys. the motor definately is chucking back and forth. seems like a balance issue for sure. only does it in gear.   commodore that sounds like the cheapest fix for sure. your saying fill the back cavity of the prop ?  can u elaborate on how that works .  will synthetic grease do it.      is this a once a yr fix.

On the prop shaft and inside the hub.

You know, now that you say that, I remember greasing the crap out of it last year and it didn't rattle all season. This spring I cut way back on the grease, and it rattles now. I never would have guessed it was the amount of grease, but it makes sense when you think about how the parts fit together. I will try extra grease next time I have the boat home!

If you are right, Mercury is gonna be pissed...

My Yamaha shakes at idle out of gear. Just changed the 4 blade stainless out for an aluminum 3 blade.  I had vibration I could feel at the steering wheel with the SS 4 blade, smooth with the Aluminum.  

Do NOT run an aluminum prop on the Merc 150.

You will swear that your shift linkage is way out of whack.

This engine needs the rotating mass to aid in the shifting.

(design flaw in my opinion)

There was an update during the first year of this motor. 2010 or 11 maybe?

The update did little if anything to help.

Some are worse than others.

I have a Black Max (aluminum) for my Merc 150. Cane with the motor. It is now a spare, but I ran it quite a bit before I got the Enertia (thanks Todd!) I never noticed any change in shifting between the two.

Do NOT run an aluminum prop on the Merc 150.

You will swear that your shift linkage is way out of whack.

This engine needs the rotating mass to aid in the shifting.

(design flaw in my opinion)

There was an update during the first year of this motor. 2010 or 11 maybe?

The update did little if anything to help.

Some are worse than others.
Must be just luck of the draw, my buddy has an aluminum prop on his 150 and I nor he has never noticed anything like that.

My yamaha 200 has a slight vibration when in gear. If I bump the rpm's up a little it goes away. I have a stainless prop and SDS hub. My last boat with a 115 did it as well. I take it as a sign my boat is rigid and well built!

my boat came with a 15 pitch inertia ss prop. its a 2015 motor. unboxed and installed last wk

mercury said they have a split hub that takes care of this. back ordered of course. direct swap out. have one coming warrentied. my question is they just unboxed and mounted my new 15 motor. so they have an update to fix this issue 1 wk later?.... really

It has to do with the oscillation af a 4 cylinder motor. The split hub has tungsten rods that flex. A v-6 won't rattle the prop. I have an Enertia prop on my Honda and use the Flo-Torq IV hub.

I see. mercury new what boat this was going on and told the dealer what prop to use?? u would think they would have sent the motor with the split hub on it, who knows

Mercury service does recommend the Enertia stainless prop.

Your dealer is being "cheap" if they put an alum on.

If the dealers put everything on the boat before we got it that should be on it there would be no reason for this forum or an aftermarket industry  :p

Back