1st Time Pontoon Owner - Ordering 24SSRXP -Thoughts?

Spar-Toon

Reaction score
Zukey - Portage Chain Of Lakes Hamburg MI
Hi I am a first time pontoon order and pulled the trigger on a new 24ssrxp this weekend but have a few days to add or delete if needed.   Looking for you thoughts on my purchase.   Boat will be used on inland lakes only. 

24ssrxp -premium

90 HP 4 stroke

Matador Red w/ black accent panel

Midnight black bimini top

Blacked out package

Napa Beige interior with tuscon dune accent

Pillowtop diamond pressed upholstery upgrade

Heavy duty black rub rail

LED stainless dock lights

Bimini blue ice LED

Blue ice console panel 

G Series helm chairs

Extended aft deck

Bow gate seat

Two graywood tables

Platinum seagrass floor

Steering tilt

In-floor storage

Ski tow bar

Echo 101 garmin

Kicker KMC10 stereo

Kicker speaker illuminated upgrade

Mooring cover clips

Flag Pole 

Changing Station

LED Deck lights

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I see in-floor storage, so you're getting a tri-toon, but what hull are you getting and how do you plan to use the boat?  Cruising?  Fishing?  Water sports?  Have kids?  Grandkids?

The little options are pretty minor compared to getting the right motor/hull combination to match your boating needs.  Not getting that right leads to PADS quick.

Only things I would question are the 90HP motor [will be tough to resell]  and the echo100 GPS but as kaydano said how do you plan on using your boat

90HP on a 24' -- unless you only plan nice cruises (nothing wrong with that) or your lake has a speed limit and you don't need any speed 90HP may be a little small.... just my opinion and like the others said it all depends on what you'll use it for.

I would add some HP. Other than that looks like a well optioned boat. I had a 22' with a 115 and sold it after 3 months for more power so now is the time to really analyze your intended use of this boat and add some power if needed. It is a lot more costly to do it later. For me it required the purchase of a new boat.

Congrats and welcome to the club. Nice color choices.

I see you added a ski pole. If you are looking at water sports you will for sure want to up the HP if budget allows. As Link stated this will also help resell. We looked at used boats prior to buying our Benny and wouldn't look at anything less than 200 hp. You may want to double think the bow seat. Lots of posts on here where it just gets in the way when boarding. Elevated helm in my opinion is a no brainer. I have owned boats without and never realized how much better until I had it.

Shark Hide and additional HP 

The plan is for cruising only.  We are on a chain of lakes with a bunch on canels to travel through so i don't really need the speed.  Would consider going to the 115HP vs. the 90HP.   Is the $800.00 difference worth it?  Don't see the budget going to the 150HP.   The Ski Bar was pretty much a throw in to be honest so i don't plan on pulling anyone.  I just want to make sure if i have a boat of 10 that i haven enough HP to atleast cruise along.  

I look forward to your thought on if their is much difference in the 115hp or not.   

Thanks for all the help.   

For $800 I would definitly upgrade, you won't gain much at WOT but it may actually be more cost effective at the same cruising speds.  And again, resale value

Absolutely on the 115 for $800.00 

I agree with the above posters.  Not sure what motor you're going with, but the Yamaha VMAX 115 is only about a $1200 upgrade from the 90hp and will give you a pretty nice performance boost.

I agree with the above posters.  Not sure what motor you're going with, but the Yamaha VMAX 115 is only about a $1200 upgrade from the 90hp and will give you a pretty nice performance boost.
Ok so what is the difference between the 115hp 4 stroke and the 115hp 4stroke vmax engine?    What am i gaining over the other? 

Go with the 115 or more...  that is the theme over and over and over and over  again when people post on what they'd do differently.. they almost all say they'd go with a bigger HP engine.

Sparty

We have owned a 20' pontoon with a 90hp Merc. We now have a 22' SCWX with a 150hp Yam. I can tell you that the two boats are in different universe's. You stated this is you're first tritoon/pontoon so it may surprise you how you will end up using it. They are amazingly versatile. So I guess I would +++ the most HP you're budget can stand. The 150hp has exceeded our expectation and will do all we ask of it. You would need to ask the experts but our dealer lumped the 90hp and the 115hp in the same performance range and the 150hp and 175hp in the next major performance jump. Just thinking out loud, but no matter what you decide the hours of fun and relaxation on you're new Bennington will be priceless. Good luck and looking forward to pictures of the new build.

I have the 21SL Basic 2 Toon Benny with a 4 Stroke 90 HP Yamaha 

80% of the time it is just me and my wife cruising the Lake

The 90 HP gives us all the performance we need :)

But the other 20% with friends and family as you said up to 10 

Well all I can say is the cruising speed drops like a lead balloon

10 kids not a problem BUT 10 Middle Aged American Adults (lol) 

Now that is 2000 lbs minimum or more

If I could do it over I would buy the 115 hp 

Just My Experience 

127180124.jpg

Hello Sparty and welcome. I must agree about the HP upgrade. I would spring for the $800 and go with the 115 Yammy. The tritoon will amaze you, especially the performance abilities available with this design and a larger motor. Actually, if you don't want to enjoy more performance with a larger motor (either now or later) and only want to cruise at relatively low speed, then you could save even more and forget about the center toon and stay with two. 

We LOVE our tritoon, SPS, with a 150 HP. It totally changes the flavor of the entire boat over what we were used to with Pontoon boats that had been in our family before. Like they say, you don't know what you are missing until you tried something different. And different is surely what happens to a Pontoon boat when you add a third pontoon, and a larger motoer. Now it's not just a party barge, but rather a watercraft that takes on many of the traits of a deep Vee Higher performance boat, yet keeping all of the attributes of a Pontoon boat. IT'S MAGIC

Sparty,

Tooner is correct. There is no real reason to spring for the "performance" toon if you are going with the 90 hp. Could definitely save you some cash.

Is there some specific reason you decided on the tritoon with such a small motor? As always, buy what you can afford but for the triple tube you are buying I would go with the 150 at least.

One other pertinent comment was in regards to having a loaded boat. The 90 might be fine for just a few of you. It will surprised you how bad that motor will bog down with a load of 6-10 passengers, fuel, cooler, etc...

You can find out about the Yamahas, or any motor, by going to the manufacturers website. Plenty of information on them regarding differences.

Good Luck.

He messaged me and said it is not a tri-toon which is odd as he posted in-floor storage. I asked about that and have not heard back. So if it is not a tri-toon I suggest 115, if it is, 150.

Sparty,

Tooner is correct. There is no real reason to spring for the "performance" toon if you are going with the 90 hp. Could definitely save you some cash.

Is there some specific reason you decided on the tritoon with such a small motor? As always, buy what you can afford but for the triple tube you are buying I would go with the 150 at least.

One other pertinent comment was in regards to having a loaded boat. The 90 might be fine for just a few of you. It will surprised you how bad that motor will bog down with a load of 6-10 passengers, fuel, cooler, etc...

You can find out about the Yamahas, or any motor, by going to the manufacturers website. Plenty of information on them regarding differences.

Good Luck.
I am not getting a tri-toon.  Not sure how that came about.   All i said was that i had gotten the center storage.   Thanks for the info. 

He messaged me and said it is not a tri-toon which is odd as he posted in-floor storage. I asked about that and have not heard back. So if it is not a tri-toon I suggest 115, if it is, 150.
correct it is not a tri-toon.  Just storage.     thanks for the feedback

Back