2018 22SSRX/P build options

MWChain

Reaction score
Hi all - new member here in the process of evaluating a build on a 2018 22SSRX w/ SPS, possibly with the upgrade to premium. It would be my first Bennington. The main use will be watersports with (currently) younger kids, and also entertaining with likely up to 8 adults. The with 8 adults could possibly involve waterskiing as well. Key questions on the build are hp: 150/175/200, and the upgrade to the SXP from SX. Of course, there are many other options being traded off, but these seem to be the most important ones.

Of course, if money were no object, the answers are clear, but for someone who is somewhat budget constrained, how far do I need to or should I stretch to get the extra horsepower and the upgraded furniture / helm? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

200HP, power steering for sure. All the furniture is comfy. Maybe in floor for the skis.

My opinion, make a budget, add 10%, that's your real budget. Check off everything you like or want. Check your budget, then start deleting items you don't "need" till you reach your budget. If you are financing, especially over 10 years, lots of options are not as painful.

We got a 2017 24’ SSBXP SPS 200hp this past year. Our main intended use was/is cruising around and watersports. Thus, I suspect, we have similar uses in mind. Here are my thoughts based on our experiences last summer:

Absolutely the 200hp with power steering!!! For what you said you want to do, this should be your #1 priority. Depending on how many people and gear on the boat, and then adding adults into water sports, you will need it.

If just kids, smaller groups, or rare watersports, then I could see saving a $ or two and going 150hp. However, because you are talking about a lot of people on board, and both kids and adults doing watersports, that 200hp is going to be essential IMHO. :cool:

Personally, when we mainly have adults on board, and adults doing watersports, I wish we had even more hp. I could have went up to a 250hp on our 24’, and there have been a couple times I wish we had. Because there is a lot of maneuvering when doing the watersports, the power steering is huge for that use, and we wouldn’t want to do them without it.

Finally, we did do the upgrade to the premium on our boat. We LOVE the upgraded aesthetics. But to be honest, its really about looks and asthetics. If trying to balance budget issues, I would not prioritize it vs. practical things that help with your intended use (hosting lots of people on board, and doing watersports).

The regular furniture options are very nice, and very comfy too! IF you end up with room in the budget AFTER getting all the practical upgrades for what you want to do, and can still fit in the premium upgrade, you certainly would like it. However, I would not sacrifice any performance or handling items to get it.

That’s my two cents with your $. :D

Another satisfied 200 hp owner here.

You will love 200HP motor SPS pontoon package.

I am in the same situation as the OP. I am in the midst of specs for a new 2018 22SSRX Premium with SPS. It seems we have some of the same questions, but the fine folks on this board are kind enough to share their collective experience. As Tosh says at the end of his show "And I think you."

I've been told (to the person) the power steering option is a smile maker for motors 150 HP and higher. I also had many discussions with experienced Bennington owners with 22' platforms who (mostly) say the step from 150 to 175HP is not really worth it, but highly recommend the 200 HP option, especially with SPS. It seems this group is in concurrence. Collectively that makes my decision easier, but my budget takes a hit. I guess I have to look at the cost differential being spread over 10 years of fun.

Some great comments from people who know. Like others have intimated, I'd concentrate on your core usage and then go from there. If you're just a cruiser where HP isn't as critical, load up on the premium upgrades and enjoy the ride. If you're more water sports inclined, load up on the HP and deal with a bit less frills. My two cents and enjoy the process...

As has been said before, you guys are great...at spending other people's money! But seriously, this is all very helpful. I think I'll be going with the 200HP w/ SPS and power steering. Am I ok trading down out of the elevated helm to the adjustable helm chair to save a few hundred? And how badly do I need the GPS speedo? Now that the budget is already blown I don't want to be 'penny wise', but wouldn't mind getting a few hundred back on some of the lesser important options. Thanks again everyone - hopefully I'll be able to get out of analysis paralysis and pull the trigger soon!

Mine came with an elevated helm so I can't speak to the difference between that and the adjustable helm but I like what I have. I don't have the GPS speedo so I don't know what I'm missing, if anything. I do think you're going to love the 200 though!

As was told to me several times last year when we bought ours. It’s much cheaper to “Buy your last boat first.” I’m glad we listened!

Last edited:
Your phone can be a Speedo, if there is no speed limit its not necessary. A finder/ graph unit will probably come with GPS speedo. The cheap stuff can be added later, but it would be nice to have it factory wired for the transducer. What about the in floor storage? I don't have a problem seeing over people, but I am always looking around.

Last edited:
I have a 2017 22 SSRX SPS Yamaha 150 V-Max. Our uses are similar except we will be doing tubing instead of skiing. If I was to do it again and had more money to spend I would get power steering, a raised helm, premium upgrade, and a 200 prioritized in that order. The 150 V-Max has been fine for our use, but with the skiing I would move the 200 up a couple spots.

I have a 2018 22 SSRXP on order. I intend on using it for cruising and ordered the 150 SPS. I also ordered power steering which, in my opinion, is a must have. The Simrad GPS is great if it fits in the budget as is the Premium package. I went to a boat show and tried the raised helm vs the hydraulic seat vs the bolster seat and settled on the bolster seat. You most definitely will want the extended aft deck for skiing. Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
We love our elevated “G” helm. That was a must coming from an R with one. If you get/have a fishfinder, typically they have a speedo, or as stated, you can use your phone.

MWChain - Something I recently discovered - but not a surprise to the old salts - is the cost differential between my dealers 2018 stock (bought in 2017) and custom factory ordered in 2018 is about 1.5%. In other words, a few minor "must haves" that can not be installed by the dealer triggers a cost increase to duplicate the boat my dealer has in stock - and then intall the add-ons. Soooo .... I found a vessel in stock "close enough" that is pre-rigged for the motor upgrade desired, am adding the power assist steering and perhaps a few goodies. Enjoy!

Personally I love the in-floor storage but I'm on a 138,00-acre lake (15 miles wide, 35 miles long) so I can be gone all day and easily an hour away from home so I like to have everything with me. For me, I'll never have another boat without the in-floor. From reading what others have to stay I'd also consider power steering mandatory on any future boat (but I believe can be added after market if needed.) With the number of people you're talking about I'd think you'd want the 200, not for the high-end speed per se, but to maintain power while you're loaded up with people and towing the skiers/tubers. Just my two cents...

Back