21 SLX Tritoon is Listing To Port Side

lifestarts@40

Reaction score
Sorry for this kind of post for 1st post. We have a 2016 21 SLX that has developed a list to port side. You can see it when it sits in the water and while underway. It's happened so gradually that last time out, I finally had my wife sit on my side while underway and the boat almost levels out. I've lost 2-3 mph at cruise unless she sits on my side and it now has substantial bow raise when planing. It's also acting stern heavy.

We love this boat and are hoping this won't be some huge problem. I cannot find any damage to the port toon. I have not contacted my dealer yet but will as soon as I come back from a business trip that I'm currently on.

Are the pontoons pressurized?

Toons aren’t pressurized, especially when they leak. That is what I suspect. You must have a crack in a weld seam that has let in water. That would explain the listing and loss of speed. Your dealer can drill to let the water out and reweld. Good as new. Been there, done that.

PontToon is right, easy fix. Pull your boat out of water on the trailer and have someone standing beside the trailer as you put on brakes to hear if water is sloshing around

I agree with the above comments. Welcome to the forum.

I have a 2014 21 slx, I have same problem, boat leans to the left , I could only find one plug on top of toons in the front of boat, I could not find water when I inserted a tube in hole plug, do toons have baffles? Keeping water in back part of toon, I do hear water slushing around. I hope it’s an easy fix like you guys say, thanks jg

Yes, there are baffles where each vertical weld goes around toon, normally center and nose cone

We have a 2012 SSL. It's always leaned to port due to the furniture layout. There's more furniture on the port side, plus two batteries, and almost all the storage is on the port side too. Cooler fits best in the port door space too. I keep my anchors on the starboard side to help balance it out.

Just saying you may not have a tube leak.

Yes most of my weight is on the port side, but I still have to investigate the water slushing noise when I back up or hit the brakes, do you guys know if there is a gap at the baffles that would let the water into the next chamber?
Thanks jg

Yes most of my weight is on the port side, but I still have to investigate the water slushing noise when I back up or hit the brakes, do you guys know if there is a gap at the baffles that would let the water into the next chamber?
Thanks jg
Yeah, a sloshing noise would seem to indicate a problem. Fortunately, those owners that have experienced similar situations have reported that it is a (relatively) easy fix. Good luck!

And it's not fuel sloshing back and forth in the tank?

That’s what I’m thinking also , I’m waiting for some good whether so I can check that also, I’ll let you guys know what I find.

Back