2250 GBR horsepower question

jmkjoe

Reaction score
Hi All.  I currently have a deposit on a new 2250 GBR with triple 25" tunes.  The marina uses Yamaha engines and my question is this.  Is a 150 the most I can put on? If so, is it because of power steering issues? Rigging issues? or will the construction of the G series simply not handle any more power.  I am not looking to get crazy, just wondering if going to a 200 horse is an option?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

I think with 3 tubes on a 25' boat you should be able to go to a 250.

I think with 3 tubes on a 25' boat you should be able to go to a 250.
I think that's only for ESP. The others like Lakeliving's 'S' can go 200 max.

I forgot to mention. It has the 3 -25" tubes but it is the express tube package. According to Benningtons website it says that it is rated for more than 115 horse but doesn't give you the max horsepower numbers.

I have the 2250GBR - I have SPS and max horsepower is 200.

My boat is heavy as far as 2250GBR's go. It has every option - see my signature for complete description of the boat. And I did get the max horsepower - a 200.

I don't know what the max rating is without SPS, but I have a hunch it is 150.

Anything you want to know about the 2250GBR, I am happy to share.

The max horsepower is a design calculation based in very large part on buoyancy. I don't know how all of the factors play in, buoyancy, construction, rigidity, capacity etc., etc. All of these things are pre-planned and approved in advance based on spec designs, by the USCG. That's what I think I know. I could be all wrong. The USCG capacity sticker specifies number of people, weight of all contents and motor max HP. No way around it. And a very bad idea to overload the beyond sticker in any way. Very illegal. Carries some pressing liability issues. And the fines are substantial.

So if 150 is the max on the Express Tube 2250GBR, that'll be all you can do. The only way around would be to go SPS.

-Jeff 

Thanks Jeff. Are you happy with the 200 on yours. The dealer is telling me with the 150 I could pull up a 200 lb skier. And that it should run right around 40 mph. I find that hard to believe. I'm not expecting a rocket, I realize it is what it is. I just see some people post that their 23' pontoon is running at 41 and others are saying their running at 29. I realize weight, dirty toons and all that other stuff factor in. I'm just trying to get a honest answer if the 150's are all their cracked up to be or if I need to look for a different boat with at least a 200-225 on it.

I am very pleased with the 200. So few boats are the same though, you can't really compare apples to apples readily.

My boat has the wave shield, the rough water package and the SPS pontoon configuration. That's a lot of weight. Skin the bottom with metal - heavy. Full size extra pontoon - heavy. All the welded on lifting strakes and keel runners - heavy. So the 200 with my setup may actually be slower than a 150 express tube without the wave shield on calm water. On calm water is the key there.

My boat can run 41.5mph WOT with my current prop which is pitched at least an inch too high. I max at 5500rpm. I might get another mph or two. But I'm not in it for WOT top speed. 41.5 is no different than 43 to me.

What I was after - how much hp would be required to run 23 or 24 cruising long distances in rough water (Lake Michigan) at 1/2 - 2/3 throttle. That's what the 200 does for me. I get on plane with ease and cruise 23mph at 3700rpm.

Pulling a 200lb skier on two skis isn't hard. So on that fact, the dealer is probably correct. You're not going to get do a very good job getting a 200lb skier up on a slalom though. At least not without flushing his colon with lake water for the first 500 feet. That too though, is a matter of perspective. I was a skier in my younger years, and my son is currently a competitive slalom course skier. We have a direct drive Malibu tow boat for that purpose. It's useless for just about anything else as far as I'm concerned. But the kids really like it. 

Pulling a tube with the Bennington is a bear in my opinion. But again, that's compared to pulling a tube with my Malibu. They just don't carve turns well enough to be super fun out there. 

I think you are due for a wet test. Load up the family. Bring your toys. Try it out. Decide for yourself in a real life situation if this is the boat for you. Nothing is more frustrating (or expensive) than realizing after a month or two...that you just shoulda' _____________.

I am very happy with my 150 and can cruise at 38ish all day long

If money wast an issue I would have a 250 but that would be just for bragging rights

Truth be told 99% of the time my passengers are happier at 20 mph

Thanks for all the feedback. I have a sea trial set up for Saturday. Hopefully the 150 is enough so I don't have to spend another 10 grand.

so how do you like your boat? I love the pictures and am ready to buy a 2015 2250 GBR with a 150 Yamaha. Will that motor do the job? I am ordering the elliptical pontoon salt water pkg. 2 toons. did you get the galley next to the bar? so many different things I can't figure out what I should get. Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

I consider the 150 as the biggest bang for the buck. I would anticipate 38-39mph on a G and enough power to give kids a decent ride. I went with my friend for a test ride, SX with a 150 and it did 42

I pulled a 180 lb skier up on a slalom ski with my 150. He popped right up. It took about 1 second. Everyone in the boat was wowed at how fast he got up. I am convinced skiing is nooo big deal. Tubing is the big test on a motor not skiing. .

The gbr is a heavy boat. I have the 2350 rbr (just a foot longer) and have a 225 sho on mine. I hit only 41 in the beginning of the season. I thought i would be closer to 45. I have seen some people with s boats top 40 with a 150. I do not think that will be the case with the gbr. Also, I think it would be recommended to add power steering with a 200 which will increase your cost. If the money is an absolute issue, then stay within your budget. If it really is not, go bigger. I will say that regret is a terrible thing and I really wish I had done the 250.

I promise, I'm not being argumentative. But I have this boat. So I'm jumping in again.

Pulling up a slalom skier in about a second...not in my boat with a 200. It's about a 3 - 4 second process and takes 60 - 70 feet in my purpose built direct drive ski boat. I have no reason to try as we still have the ski boat, but I would expect about 200 - 300 feet to accomplish the same thing in the 2250GBR. That's a long way to drag. Just my opinion though. 

I 2nd the heavy boat comment. I don't know how much of that is the fiberglass structure on deck plus the counter tops vs. how much is options. But to this day, I'm very surprised at the weight of this boat. I never would have guessed 4100+ dry weight. In contrast, my ski boat weighs in under 2300# with a big V8 right in the middle.

I also 2nd the power steering. Power steering is a highly recommended creature comfort. 

For Gabbiano - I hope you got my return PM? Lots of info there for you to consider.

Yes I got the extended galley with refrigerator. The refrigerator is a good-ish option. It's not a very good refrigerator only because there's no such thing as a good 12V DC refrigerator. You're not going to be able to put a warm 12pack in there and pull out a cold one an hour later. It's nice for keeping cold things cold though. We use it a lot. It's nice to not have to pack a cooler every time we go out. If it's just a simple trip, some drinks and some food, the refrigerator is the perfect size.

One thing to consider with the refrigerator. There's a separate battery and a shore charger for that accessory under the galley on the starboard side of the boat. That's weight and space...if that's a consideration. But more importantly, if you leave the refrigerator on and let that deep cycle battery drain below a lower limit, there's no good way to get it to recharge. I don't know for sure, but I think it's a one-and-done on that battery. Forget to plug it in or turn it off one time = new battery time. Batteries are about $80 a shot. Expensive mistake and easy to make.

I think this may be a good consideration. If you're going to load the boat to the max, you'll want to do the same with HP. 

Everyone will probably agree, get as much HP as you can afford. Simple as that. No one ever trades a boat in because the engine was too big.

I just checked the Bennington Build site, and did a re-build on my boat with 2015 pricing. I found that the upgrade from 150hp - 200hp using Yamaha as the mfr, was $4200. $7200 for the 150. $11400 for the 200hp. That's not cheap by any standard, but not as big a difference as I thought it was.

He popped up like he was laying on dirt. He is an outstanding skier, and he probably helped pull himself up quicker than waiting for the boat to do all the work. I didn't have a stopwatch on it, so it could have actually been under one second. Ha ha. We were all starting at each other in the boat because of how quick it was. But the point wasn't about skiing, it was about tubing.

I have video somewhere of my father in law getting up on skis behind ours. Didn't take long at all.

I have a 2015 2250GSR with a 250 Yamaha.  I don't regret going with the larger motor, up on plane really fast and adding people doesn't have much effect on planing or overall speed. ( 2 men over 250 lbs, one at 230 and a lady at 130) Still ran 46 gps in rough water with a 19p sws prop.  I have the ESP package and if you are going to pull skiers or tubes the handling is awesome.  As strong as it feels, I think getting a skier up in short notice will be a piece of cake.

Back