303 or Scotch Guard

After 2.5 " of rain Monday I took the cover off yesterday and not one drop of water had seeped through . 303 has done it's job. Now we'll see how it does for the rest of the summer.

Has anyone used the 303 Cleaner & Spot remover?  I have some small mold stains on my vinyl seats I'd like to get at ASAP (once the weather cooperates)  I'd like to know this product works well and avoid any catastrophe with my seats.  Let me know your comments.  Thanks.

The 303 Fabric Guard worked great on both my bimini tops and the full enclosure, but after treating every seam twice on the mooring cover every seam leaks. Disappointed that it didn't do the same on the mooring cover.

I've used it for mold on mine with minimal success. It worked fine on some very mild mold but anything else it was quite useless even after repeated applications on those same areas. I would love to know what people think is the best thing to use for this. I've also tried that Starbrite mildew cleaner and it isn't any better on actual mold and mildew.

Have you tried  a small amount of bleach with water mixed. The bleach will kill mold. I've heard 1/4 cup of bleach and 1 quart of water. Don't go too strong it can do damage.

I was just wondering . Last season when it was humid .I did experience some condensation on the Inside of the mooring cover .

Has anyone ever used the 303 Fabric Guard on the inside ?

I am pleased with the way it works on the outside .

I also saw a solar powered fan for the vents on the cover .It installs in the place of the regular vent

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=VENT-SOL-AIR-Solar-Powered-Ventilating-Fan-For-Boat-Covers&i=72310&r=view&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlebase&s_kwcid=googlepla&cvsfa=2587&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3732333130

Have you tried  a small amount of bleach with water mixed. The bleach will kill mold. I've heard 1/4 cup of bleach and 1 quart of water. Don't go too strong it can do damage.
Well most of those products (especially the Starbrite) smells like bleech is in it.  Yeah I'm always leary of using bleech cuz I don't want to ruin the fabric although I would think as long as you wipe it down immediately afterwards with a very wet towel to get the excess off you should be fine.  Since my interior is mostle the cream color I suppose I would feel more comfortable trying that.

My toon goes right from the lake into the covered lift so the solar fan (very cool by the way) would not work.  I get plenty of air movement.  Yet I noticed small amounts of mold near the seams.  Probably from condensation at night.  Putting the playpen cover on while on the lift seems overkill and might trap more condensation which would lead me to think I would then need a fan to maintain the air movement to avoid the mold I am trying to avoid.  A Catch-22.

So that brings me back to my original question:  Has anyone used the 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover to try and remove small mold stains from their vinyl?  I am afraid of what any bleach-based home-made remedy might do to the vinyl seats.  Thanks much!!

BTW Keith, your boat sounds like an awesome, decked-out toon!

I have the same problem with my 2013 RCW cover. Every time it rains the carpet gets wet. I called and talked to Bennington they put me in contact with the cover manufacture and they sent me two bottles of 303 fabric protector to use. I'm taking to boat to the dealer today, this is there job to apply. I'll post the results after I get it back.

P.S. I love all the 303 products. I have been using the 303 protectant on my trucks tonneau cover for 12 years and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

Why is it the dealers job to apply the 303 fabric guard?

That must be one heck of a dealer .

That must be one heck of a dealer .

They are if it is the dealer I think he's talking about:  Wilson Marine in Brighton, MI.  Largest Benny dealer in MI.  They probably feel that since this has happened from day one (new boat) that it is a manufacturer issue.  Wilson has their own canvas shop on site.

I thought it was Benningtons responsibility since the cover has leaked water from day one. I complained to bennington and they sent the complaint to the cover manufacture and they responder by sending me two bottles of 303 water repellent..  

I was going to do it myself, but I thought it was benningtons responsibility so I  ask the dealer and they said no problem we will do it.

I can say that Wilson Marine has be excellent to work with.

Yeah I've had my boat there twice now and they are not the closest Bennington dealer to me.  The one that is, is only 5-6 minutes away here in Jackson, MI.  Twice now (July of 2011 and last October) I have towed my boat all the way to Wilson Marine because that place knows what the hell they're doing.  Their service department is enormous....I can't believe how many service stalls they have there.  Even the actual mechanics that work on the boat take time to come out and look at your boat along with the regular service guy.  I even called one time to speak to the actual mechanic who had been working on my boat and I could not even believe the amount of time he took on the phone with me and how patient he was...mind you this was at the peak of the season too.  I so appreciated that.

Applied my 303 fabric guard yesterday with one of the handheld sprayers someone recommended here on this site...took me no more than 10 minutes...worked like a champ!  Thanks for the great tips.

I'm anxious to use this 303 stuff all around the house. Glad I bought it by the gallon!

Yeah I've had my boat there twice now and they are not the closest Bennington dealer to me.  The one that is, is only 5-6 minutes away here in Jackson, MI.  Twice now (July of 2011 and last October) I have towed my boat all the way to Wilson Marine because that place knows what the hell they're doing.  Their service department is enormous....I can't believe how many service stalls they have there.  Even the actual mechanics that work on the boat take time to come out and look at your boat along with the regular service guy.  I even called one time to speak to the actual mechanic who had been working on my boat and I could not even believe the amount of time he took on the phone with me and how patient he was...mind you this was at the peak of the season too.  I so appreciated that.
First post!

What a coincidence!  I just ordered my boat from them this week (Wilson in Brighton) thanks to Adam my sales guy, and Greg Wilson who covered while he was out and helped with my order, it's getting delivered tomorrow!  Not to highjack the thread so I should note that I also picked up the 303 Aerospace for the Vinyl and 303 Fabric for the palm carpet and the Pump that was recommended by Jack, all for Sat. deliver via Amazon.  Thanks to this thread!

I'm soo excited.  I've lived on a lake for 3 years without a real boat (Spent all my money building the house, LOL)  So i've been lurking these forums all week purchasing the odds and ends everyone recommends.  

back to the regularly scheduled program;

I've used this stuff on sunbrella fabric seat cushions, and even on some artificial flowers to reduce the fade and it was obvious where I missed a few flowers and they bleached out, so I totally trust the 303 stuff.

I am curious about the carpet, I understand it's actually a Nylon (Sand Palm) and I have the Seagrass Aft which is Vinyl.

Would I still use the 303 Fabric on the Sand Palm carpet, or would I use the aerospace on that as well?

Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the 303 fabric on my sand palm carpet last season . I plan on using it again on the new one, also sand palm .

It worked great when I didn't notice that there was mud on my anchor and set it on the bow . Mud just rolled right off and never knew it happened .

In fact I am going to ask the dealer If I can use his shop before delivery to apply it to the new one .Weather needs to warm up .

Dont forget to do your mooring cover too .

Back