303 Protectants

kcman

Reaction score
I have seen many of the more experienced boaters on this forum mention using 303 protectants on their seats and thought I should buy it to use on my seats; however, when I looked, I noticed there are many different 303 products (some help prevent mildew but make no mention of UV protection, while other products mention UV protection but no mention of mildew).  Some of the products I have looked at on Amazon:

30650 - protects against mildew but no mention of UV protection

30313 - provides UV protection but no mention of mildew

My boat is new -- do I need to worry about protecting the seats against UV damage and likewise, what about the cover -- I notice water beads up on the cover but do I need to add protectant to the playpen cover periodically?

As for stain removal, my wife has been using a product she got from the local dollar store (Awesome) which another boater at our marina recommended and it seems to work great but I am concerned that this may remove the UV protectant on the seats.  Any others use this product and have any advise?

I am new to boating and want to keep my boat looking and running like new so would appreciate any advise from the more experienced boaters.

Got it right on all three. I'd get the gal water proof though. It takes that much to do the cover. Get a 2 Qt. spray by SOLO. Does a great job. All at Amazon Good Luck on the new Benni. You'll love it.

One thing that bugs the daylights out of me is to see a newish boat tied to a dock uncovered, day, after day, after day. It's taking a beating from, sun, rain, cold, heat, dirt in the air and anything else Mother Nature can throw at it. What are these people thinking? They may have plenty of money to just buy another new one but to me it's just a blasted waste. I'm one that has things kept as new clean and protected as the day I bought it. I don't have a lot of money to throw away. I've worked hard for everything I got and I work hard to keep everything I've got like new

I guess those that don't care never had to work hard for their money or just had it given to them. It just gets my dandruff up. So many would love to have such a boat,  to love and take care of. There I've said it and I'm glad. Sorry for the rant.

Jack M/Highpond,

Thanks for the input and will make my order on Amazon and will get the gallon size for the repellent for the bimini/playpen cover.  Highpond -- regarding leaving boat uncovered -- I agree totally.  My wife and I cover our boat whenever we leave the Marina (even if it is just for a day).  It takes us less than 10 mins to put the full cover on (including the Bimini top cover) and just over 5 mins to take the covers off which is not a lot of time for the protection it provides.  Most of the boats at my Marina are from a dealer who provides seat/helm covers and most use those in place of a full playpen cover.  It protects the seats and helm but the floor is fully exposed.  Most also always leave their bimini up (I think they believe it provides protection but I think it only introduces extra stress to the hardware and canvas during those windy days.  We have one bennington that is 12 yrs old (always covered) and it looks better than many of the 3-4 year old pontoons that are not covered. 

One last question -- since my boat is new (1 month old), when should I plan on on putting the water repellent on the bimini/playpen cover.  The playpen cover still repells water.  Thanks again.

I even use the fabric guard on my Nissan Murano Crosscabriolet convertible soft top. Keeps it looking awesome.

Use the 303 now.

One thing that bugs the daylights out of me is to see a newish boat tied to a dock uncovered, day, after day, after day. It's taking a beating from, sun, rain, cold, heat, dirt in the air and anything else Mother Nature can throw at it. What are these people thinking? They may have plenty of money to just buy another new one but to me it's just a blasted waste. I'm one that has things kept as new clean and protected as the day I bought it. I don't have a lot of money to throw away. I've worked hard for everything I got and I work hard to keep everything I've got like new

I guess those that don't care never had to work hard for their money or just had it given to them. It just gets my dandruff up. So many would love to have such a boat,  to love and take care of. There I've said it and I'm glad. Sorry for the rant.
Have you been going past my dock?  To me, it is just a boat.  Not that I totally neglect it, but being old and in my current physical condition, I do not dwell on a spot here or there on the boat.  I did purchase, covers made for the seats, made with Sumbrella and we keep them covered as much as possible.

Oh, and I do have 303 Cleaner and Protectant.

The Totally Awesome cleaner is an excellent product. I use it all the time to clean the seats, plastic and even the carpet if needed. Follow the directions on the bottle. It may need to be diluted.............. 

Jack, did it make the carpet slippery or change the color?
No not at all . No discoloration, no slip  .Very happy and glad I did it .

Last year first time out . I didn't realize that mud was on the anchor ,had a mess on the bow .Just splashed some water on it ,rolled right off .

If I remember correctly I used just over a 32 oz bottle . I didn't want to use the hand sprayer so I could have more control .It dried in a few hours  on a sunny day . Thats  when I brought the cover home to treat .

I did use the hand pump sprayer on the cover 

Good man. Im in the fabric business and sunbrella fabric is made of acrilyc which is naturally water repellant. You can't make it more water repellant than it is naturally. I have navy blue sunbrella on my boats bimini for over 10 years and it still repells water and has not faded 1 degree. The 303 vinyly protectant for seats is another story and highly recommended.

303 is the only product Bennington recommends.

Thanks guys. I was going to use my 32 oz bottle of fabric protectant on the bimini, but now I may just use it on the carpet instead.

My carpet looks pretty matted down when comparing it with what's under the helm (which looks new).  What's the best way to restore the carpet?  Steam clean?

Immediately after college I was in the carpet business as a manufacturers rep for a few years; Once matted I don't believe that the carpet can really be restored

I agree with Mark. Once it's smashed cleaning will lift it some and it looks new, till you walk on it again. In the fall, I wet vac'd mine and it looked nice in the spring till a day's worth of walking on it. Then it just looked clean, not new .....  :(

I don't have my boat yet but I ordered it with a full teak seagrass floor. . any suggestions on protecting it?. seems like keeping it clean should be simple that floor is basically woven vinyl. I was wondering if spraying it with the 303 uv protectorant to keep it from fading would be ok or would it make the floor unsafe (slippery) 

Very slippery. 

How often are you guys administering the 303 waterproofing protectant on your playpen covers?  I had a new cover made middle of this past summer and of course applied the 303 immediately.  Do I need to apply this every season, every other, etc.?  My boat sits uncovered at my dock all summer (meaning the cover is out in the elements all season) however I store my boat/cover in an indoor heated building during the winter months (not that it really matters).

I plan to reapply to the cover and carpet at the start of each season .

Back