A Graduation Story

gerry

Reaction score
A good friend of mine got a little surprise this week. A graduation announcement. The story is: 14 years ago he jumped into the Ohio River when he saw a small boy fall off the dock at Covington Landing and into the river. He immediately ran over and jumped in to save the 4 year old. Quite a story at the time. Pete Harnisch, a Cincinnati Reds pitcher, upon reading this in the paper invited him to throw out the first pitch at a game a few weeks later. We went to the game with him at the time. Tuesday, my friend gets a graduation announcement from the young man. He is graduating from Springboro High School, north of Cincinnati and wanted to make sure, " The man who made it possible these 14 years and gave him a chance to go to his prom and do the things every young person should do", should come to celebrate this event in his life. Very touching. Just wanted to pass it on. Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, very touching Gerry. It will always be a great story! Your friend should be very proud and it's fantastic that they kept in touch all of these years.................................one more thing..................................my Nationals were rained out so I did a little channel surfing and came across the Reds game and that was a heck of a finish with the homer to tie it and the walk off homer to win it by Choo!

WOW.....just WOW !!!

As I said before, these are the kinds of people that are "HERO'S", not movie stars and football players ........ WOW !!!!

Nice to hear

Good to hear something nice happening in the world for a change. He made a difference, a real hero.

That is a great story. It's nice when someone gets recognition for something they did just out of instinct and goodness, and not just a desire to be recognized.

Funny story, I almost drowned when I was just old enough to walk. I don't remember it as I was too young, but this is what I was told by my parents, we were out camping and my older brother and sister took me for a little walk (they are twins 2 years older than me). It was quite cold (this is Canada!) and I had on this big knitted wool sweater. Well as we were walking, I fell into the water, my brother and sister couldn't lift me out because the sweater had absorbed all the water and I was too heavy for them to lift. So they ran back and my dad came and lifted me up. Now for the funny part, it was a puddle. I was face down in it. Luckily my head was by the shallower edge so I could breath a little when I lifted my head. Haha good thing there weren't cell phones back than or I'm sure my brother and sister would have stopped to take a bunch of pictures first!!

It's stories like that, that help break the "freeze and stare" mentality when someone is in desparate need of help and everyone just stands there waiting for someone else to do something. Thanks for spreading the story. It's a good reminder that we should jump in and help when someone needs it, no matter what others are doing.

That is a great story. It's nice when someone gets recognition for something they did just out of instinct and goodness, and not just a desire to be recognized.

Funny story, I almost drowned when I was just old enough to walk. I don't remember it as I was too young, but this is what I was told by my parents, we were out camping and my older brother and sister took me for a little walk (they are twins 2 years older than me). It was quite cold (this is Canada!) and I had on this big knitted wool sweater. Well as we were walking, I fell into the water, my brother and sister couldn't lift me out because the sweater had absorbed all the water and I was too heavy for them to lift. So they ran back and my dad came and lifted me up. Now for the funny part, it was a puddle. I was face down in it. Luckily my head was by the shallower edge so I could breath a little when I lifted my head. Haha good thing there weren't cell phones back than or I'm sure my brother and sister would have stopped to take a bunch of pictures first!!
Hmmmmm...... This may explain a lot .........

Good to hear something positive, when there is so much negative stories on the news now days.

Back