Added permanent weight to boat - now lost power

tcpip95

Reaction score
I have a 24 SSL with 32" elliptical pontoons and a Yamaha 150 4-stroke (all 2012). The propeller is a Reliance Series 14 1/2 x 15 stainless steel. My performance numbers with this setup was 42 mph at 5950 rpm.

I recently made some changes to the boat that have increased the weight (not exactly sure how much the weight increase was, but guessing at about 150 lbs or so). I now can't get my RPMs above 5600 and my top speed has dropped to about 36 mph. Engine appears to be running fine - just seems like it has more boat to push through the water now. The additional weight is here to stay (no it ain't the wife LOL) so now I'm wondering what I need to do to get my RPMs back up to 5950. Do I simply drop down on the pitch of the prop, or is it a prop diameter thing as well?

Was really running sweet in the "before" configuration.

Thanks.

JP

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you add, and more importantly, where did you add it? Wondering if it's up front if you aren't getting up on plane as easy.

Weight was added just slightly aft of center, right in the middle. No problem getting the boat on plane; just can't get beyond 5600 RPM.

Are your toons clean, do you keep it in the water or trailer it? Dirty or slightly dirty toons add quite a bit of resistance.

The boat is in the water - in saltwater - however it is bottom-painted and every weekend I go and wipe it down thoroughly (a labor of love). Also, whenever we take it out, I'm in the water giving it a wipe down as well. There is no discernible marine growth. It's been in the water all the while I owned it.

I ordered an Advantage II Stiletto 14 1/4 x 13 SS prop today. I'll give that a try and see if that does the trick.

So I know it says that you added "permanent weight" and this will probably make me sound like a moron, but it's nothing new, is there anyway to temporarily remove the weight and see if everything goes back to what it was? That way you would know it is definitely the cause of the lost performance. Just a thought.

Derrick - no, you're definitely NOT a moron! I can't remove the additional weight without it being really difficult. I just picked up that Advantage II prop for $175 so this should give me a good idea. Thanks for your comments and thoughts though.... multiple heads are always better than one.

Derrick only said SOUND like a moron

Well, he definitely doesn't look, sound, act, or speak like one either! :D

I want to know just what it is that was added to the boat. We know its approximate weight, location, prop, rpms, and speed......but what is the secret change? It could be a mast and sail for all we know.

All I know is that 150lbs (avg. person) and / or the loss of 350rpms doesn't equate to a 6 mph decrease in speed w/o another contributing factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to know just what it is that was added to the boat. We know its approximate weight, location, prop, rpms, and speed......but what is the secret change? It could be a mast and sail for all we know.

All I know is that 150lbs (avg. person) and / or the loss of 350rpms doesn't equate to a 6 mph decrease in speed w/o another contributing factor.
Pontoon Water Glide is 130 lbs :unsure:

I agree, it usually takes some added drag (e.g. SeaLegs, etc.) to slow you down that much.

No pics, no weight.

Come on tcpip, spill the beans

Ohhh, he's in Florida, maybe it's a hidden safe for hauling "stuff" haha, I'm totally kidding!!! So is this "permanent item" mounted under the deck where it would be causing drag? Or just straight weight? That does seem like quite a drop in speed.

I added a 19 gallon fuel tank underneath the lounger. I'm guessing it added about 150 lbs. Nothin' sinister LOL

Well CRAP! I kinda like my safe theory so I think I'll just keep believing that scenario, sounds meaner. Haha

Yeah, I'm sure I'll have an episode soon when all of my guns accidentally go overboard while out in the Gulf of Mexico. It'll be a shame that I won't be able to find the spot again to retrieve them. LOL

Use your GPS!! Hehe

Back