Am I the only one frustrated by ....

guardrail22

Reaction score
dealers who list a boat for a very low price, only to read the VERY fine print and find out there is no motor, trailer included in the listed price or better yet the famous "call for a quote"?

Man up dealers. List the sale price including the motor that came with the boat, the trailer needed to haul it, and go from there.

I agree! That goes for houses, vehicles or any other major purchase too......

Last edited by a moderator:
No issues with my dealer .

I can understand why they don't.  How do they know if you want a 90hp or a 250hp.  Get to know the approximate price of the motor you want, same with trailers for the size of your boat

More than 25 dealers potentially could have sold me a boat, except it said "call for a quote".  I will never call, if the deal is good they would list the price.  It is not that good so they want you to call and they can throw there sales pitch at you.  I did email one for a quote though, because it said you could.  Put the price of the boat up and say if this is with engine or without.

I wouldn't mind the low advertised price if it clearly states the motor and trailer aren't included. I totally agree with Scott1 though about the 'call for a quote' BS. Even the boat brands that don't offer any kind of MSRP on their website drive me nuts. 

You are definitely not the only one. But I will toss this in to the mix...

The frustration of an ineffective (or out-of-business) dealer lasts as long as you own a boat purchased because the price was low. Whereas the glory of getting a low price lasts a day or two.

Dealers that don't list price upfront, maybe do so because the value proposition probably isn't price-centric?

The value of buying a boat from a great dealer lasts as long as you own the boat. And I am a big fan of great dealers treating the price-buyers who bought somewhere else (because they didn't value the service-after-sale aspect of a boat deal) as low priority. I think it is better to pick the brand based on what I personally value, then find the best dealer I can based on longevity and reputation for service, then and only then, work on the best deal I can with that dealer.

I understand frustration exists, but wanted to keep this element in to the conversation. It costs more-per-boat to operate an awesome Bennington dealership than it does to operate a crappy high-volume-low-service boat store. For many people, the upfront price is everything, and I think that is fine. So long as they are not in front of me at the dealer I chose, because the boat-store they chose just told 'em it would be 6 weeks in summer to repair the lower unit problem they are having. I know my dealer will prioritize me and MY lower unit, and some summer someday, that will be priceless.

When you configure a boat on Bennington, it includes a motor. I've actually had dealers tell me they sold the motor that came with a boat on another boat.

All I'm asking for is honesty and straightforward answers.

1 out of 3 can't even produce an actual bennington order sheet.

you want my business get your sh^& together.

I have seen the order sheet for each of my orders ,I even have/had copies .

I asked for quotes for ordering with the exact equipment I wanted from 3 local dealers. All 3 were very straight up, handling most of it via email, which was my preference. I didn't buy on the lowest price and it's definitely paid off with terrific service after the sale. That said, I could happily have purchased from any of the 3, based on my experiences with them on the front end. Maybe we're just lucky here, though all 3 have carried both Bennington and Harris for a long time and seem to have done very well.

My Dealer was awesome to work with, told me what to select on the boat builder and gave me a multiplier to work with, had pricing on what I wanted at my finger tips! Plus gave me 3 options for trailers. Spoke to a few other dealers and not even close! Have the best of both worlds, great buys and a dealer who bends over backwards for me! :D

I've been told that Bennington does not want dealers advertising any pricing that is below MSRP.

Hence the "Call for a quote"

Also, keep in mind, you are buying Bennington.

Do not make a foolish decision over a few dollars.

Sure it sucks to think you paid too much, but it sucks far worse to realize you paid too little.

I've been told that Bennington does not want dealers advertising any pricing that is below MSRP.

Hence the "Call for a quote"

Also, keep in mind, you are buying Bennington.

Do not make a foolish decision over a few dollars.

Sure it sucks to think you paid too much, but it sucks far worse to realize you paid too little.
I see prices all the time for below MSRP.  That is why I contacted the dealer I did, he had my setup I wanted, and a killer deal.

Bennington does not allow us to have anything but MSRP. I was told to remove my selling prices from our site. This is Benningtons policy.

Nice to see a dealer representing!

Bennington does not allow us to have anything but MSRP. I was told to remove my selling prices from our site. This is Benningtons policy.
Just doing a quick google search shows me many are still doing it, maybe there is some type of loophole or something :)

Maybe holdovers are considered different also?

You are correct, holdovers are permitted to have pricing other than MSRP. I had all my pricing listed for along time. I was just recently called and was told that was a no no.

I am not going to post the link because I don't want anyone getting in trouble, but I just found a 2575 RCW with an MSRP of 89k on sale for 68k, at a dealer.  Like you said though, you were just recently contacted so maybe not everyone has complied yet.

First Bennington dealer I googled in Maine is showing  prices  .

Perhaps there may laws that require prices to be shown in Maine ?

First Bennington dealer I googled in Maine is showing  prices  .

Perhaps there may laws that require prices to be shown in Maine ?
The one I am talking about above is in Florida, so not sure.  Maybe it just takes time to get them all to comply.

Also, he is saying you can post prices as long as it is MSRP.

Back