Bimini not staying up in rough seas

dblupcobb

Reaction score
i was cruising yesterday in my 2015 2275 SCWX alone with my kids. It was a windy choppy day. My 10' Bimini jarred loose from the support connects on both sides and slammed back to the rear of the boat. I folded it back up and reconnected the end caps to the rail brackets and before driving off again, same thing happened. Now I am apprehensive about running with the top up. It could have injured one of this kids sitting in the rear loungers. Anyone else had any issues with this? Does Bennington have any secondary retention a available or any suggestions to remedy this issue?

I have never had a problem with this.  Are you sure that you whack them into the base pretty good, if you do and this still happens contact your dealer to repair

+1 on what Link said. They should click in.

+2.

Yup, make sure they are clicked in.  I have to whack mine pretty good, I here it click in and know it is secured.

+3.5 .......

Yup, make sure they are clicked in.  I have to whack mine pretty good, I here it click in and know it is secured.
+4 exactly the same way - click

Yes, it takes a solid whack to lock them in, and remove. I don't have this issue anymore, but I remember it. 

I am pretty sure they were connected properly. They used to snap like you all described, now I hear a snap, but don't get the resistance I used to when I push the U bracket over the pin? I'll post a picture and maybe someone will notice something that is wrong.

Assuming there's a "click" you could next try the black knobs on the supports on both sides.  Loosen and adjust to make sure the bimini is taught, and if all is adjusted right, you will have to pull down on the front two struts an inch or two to get them to reach the pin where they should snap in place. 

Or, you may have a broken quick release.  Not sure how they work (not looked that close) but they are plastic/nylon, and something could be broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to the above, and checking to make sure the attachment application is correct; How windy was it? How choppy was it? What speed where you cruising at when this took place? Has it ever happened previously and how many hours do you have on the boat? The answers to some of these questions may help to identify the issue.

Cheers, Steve

Back