Bimini trailering strut retrofit?

Jim_R

Reaction score
In another thread TB posted the following:

,,,As a reminder to all, always trailer your boat with the bimini top in the "trailering" position by using the shorter trailering struts on the bimini frame, and always tow with the boot completely installed around the canvas. ...
I didn't want to hijack the thread, but I thought it good advice and suddenly realized I don't have the shorter trailering struts on either portion of my double bimini. They'd be nice to have... so I'm wondering if there's a retrofit kit. I'm thinking no.

I added them to our boat a few years ago and at the time they were about $75.00 for the pair. Just 1 hole to drill, pretty simple.

Could someone please post a pix of the bimini in the trailersing position, Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a very easy install as stated, its just one hole to drill. Call your dealer for pricing. Ask me how I know its very important to use the trailering struts :unsure:

Great news - I will call my dealer. Thanks!

How do you know...... Hahahahaha

Thanks SemperFi, I will look at the setup when I go up to the lake this weekend. Truth is I had wondered what the heck those small struts were there? Obviously I didn't use them as I trailered my boat for the one hour drive from my dealer to the lake

It's probably not even a major deal at slow speeds with it in the up,position, but the side to side movement is probably very stressful on the fittings. Think about it, the boats cruising around 30-40, maybe 50 mph with it up........but the rocking is cushioned by the water. On the road, it just slams left to right. I,d still drop it down though, what 2 minutes of time? I never haul mine in up position, just habit dropping it to get in garage anyhow. Yeah, me too, ask me how I know !!!!! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this also called the "radar position"? I've heard that mentioned several times on this site.
The radar position is with the struts up, the cover on. It is the position it would be in if you were running around the Lake but had not opened the Bimini. Think big yacht with a radar transmitter.

I ended up deciding to fabricate my own. Got them done for the front bimini.

P1000102.jpg

P1000104.jpg

The sun is finally coming out, gonna do them for the rear another day.

Nice job Jim, your bimini, rails and seats are much happier now!

You might see if your dealer could get you the end caps, they hold them to the frame when the bimini is up, and have a snap lock for the pin on the railing, that way you don't have to remove the pin. ;)

Nice job Jim, your bimini, rails and seats are much happier now!

You might see if your dealer could get you the end caps, they hold them to the frame when the bimini is up, and have a snap lock for the pin on the railing, that way you don't have to remove the pin. ;)
Yeah I saw those, a nice bit of plastic engineering. My 2002 doesn't have those elsewhere, so I elected to stick with the holes and pins. I also didn't like the length on the OEM struts, I think they too tall, and the bimini would be less stable at highway speeds. I found 4" struts to have enough lift to the bimini, at least the front bimini. I do have to figure out something with pins, as the existing pins are tethered to the uprights. For now I just remove the pins from the tether when I need to go to trailering position.

Back