Boat Mirrors

They are worth every penny 

Great Mirrors ,Glad  I have one .

I don't dispute the PTM Edge is top of the line, but can anyone recommend a cheap mirror, say in the $40-$50 range?  I don't need top of the line in my case, but a decent mirror would be nice.  I have a REALLY cheap one (found our old baby mirror from our car from years ago) , and I've found mounting it to the bimini is a PIA because I have to remove it to put the top down.  That would be a benefit of the PTM.

I'm in the process of outfitting our new 2016 2574 GCW with a mirror and will be going with the PTM Edge. However, the question is which one? 

1. Bolt-on verses clamp on?

2. If bolt-on, helm or rail?

3. Regular or pro?

Who's got what and any comments would be appreciated! Thanks...

I bought the clamp on .They provide loctite for the set screws .

Since we dont tube or ski I bought the PXR-100 

I just looked they are on sale @ Amazon .$175.00 

http://www.amazon.com/Edge-PXR-100-Pontoon-Mirror-System/dp/B00CV4M6WI?ie=UTF8&keywords=ptm%20edge&qid=1461771643&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Thanks, Jack. So, I take it you're happy with how it has remained in place. We will be doing water sports so I may go with the larger mirror, although I personally rarely use it. However, as you know here in Michigan a spotter and mirror are required. I also like the looks of placing it on the helm, assuming I can get access to do it. I may have to wait until I take possession so I can eyeball how it might look/work on the helm.

They do fold down nicely when the mooring cover is on .

The other  thing I do is  remove the mirror from the bracket for winter storage .

And yes Very Happy with it 

Last edited by a moderator:
So I got the mirror and tried to install the way StanVol did, but I couldn't get it to mount to the bimini rail and give me a clear view... I looked again and notice his bimini support is completely vertical, where mine is on an angle, and the mirror does not work mounted that way.

SO.

I figured another way to do it.  Not ideal since I have to remove every time I collapse the bimini, but we usually keep it open anyway.

This is the mirror I got. I would be afraid that sliding on and off of the canvas would create wear spots. I have mine mounted on one of the uprights of the bimini. Works perfectly for me. And when I want to close the bimini, I simply rotate it from horizontal to vertical, and it stays on always. I did add two zip ties for some added security when hitting highway speeds while trailering. 

F563A7D3-E5C8-48EB-9DC3-BFD82272DCE7_1.jpg

51EEE3D0-4E78-40F3-8874-02E72078CC7D_1.jpg

I don't believe my view is obstructed any more than any other mirror.

This is the mirror I got. I would be afraid that sliding on and off of the canvas would create wear spots. I have mine mounted on one of the uprights of the bimini. Works perfectly for me. And when I want to close the bimini, I simply rotate it from horizontal to vertical, and it stays on always. I did add two zip ties for some added security when hitting highway speeds while trailering. 

I don't believe my view is obstructed any more than any other mirror.

Yes, that looks like a good set-up if you use the bimini top. We didn't have one on our last boat so not sure how much we will use it on this one. Perhaps I need to get on the water with it before making a final decision. However, still looking for some other members to chime in with their thoughts.

I have the clamp on pro, love it! I take the mirror (just the mirror, not the arm) off each time. We tow to and from the lake so it is much safer that way.

I have the clamp on pro, love it! I take the mirror (just the mirror, not the arm) off each time. We tow to and from the lake so it is much safer that way.

We won't be towing the boat so no need to worry about removing the mirror. Unless we're doing watersports I can see just leaving it in the down position. The only reason I'm purchasing one is to be in compliance with MI law, plus the fact that it looks cool and everybody here raves about it. lol

Thanks for the input! Anyone have the helm mount?

We won't be towing the boat so no need to worry about removing the mirror. Unless we're doing watersports I can see just leaving it in the down position. The only reason I'm purchasing one is to be in compliance with MI law, plus the fact that it looks cool and everybody here raves about it. lol

Thanks for the input! Anyone have the helm mount?

Is this law for all inland lakes?  I didn't realize it was a requirement here...   BTW, I returned the clamp on one that I had on the fabric for the reason of wearing a hole in the fabric because it had to removed every time I put the bimini up.  Also I could not mount on rail because the rails are all behind me, maybe it's the layout of the Q?

Is this law for all inland lakes?  I didn't realize it was a requirement here...   BTW, I returned the clamp on one that I had on the fabric for the reason of wearing a hole in the fabric because it had to removed every time I put the bimini up.  Also I could not mount on rail because the rails are all behind me, maybe it's the layout of the Q?

That would be my guess unless it is a "private" lake. If the sheriff or DNR patrol your lake, you had better have a mirror if you're towing or risk a stop. I choose to avoid any reason for a stop! 

No mirrors needed here, just a spotter, but I also have a PTM Edge.

I decided to try the Monster Tower mirror and it appears to fit perfect.  We'll have a final decision once it's in the water, but so far it looks good.  $185 and they threw in free shipping because they weren't sure it would work for me or not.  I had this before on our last inboard with a Monster Tower and I really liked the quick release to store it.  Not sure if it works with the Sport Arch or not??

https://www.monstertower.com/monster-tower-mirror-mount-with-cipa-style-mirror.html

/monthly_2016_05/large.IMG_6473.JPG.67548d5c870d0dcd82ed6436962d4056.JPG/monthly_2016_05/large.IMG_6471.JPG.04cde08f52ce4411d5f3fc07a79dd883.JPG/monthly_2016_05/large.IMG_6472.JPG.3b941e00f86fcc8b178fa4cff7012b9c.JPG/monthly_2016_05/large.IMG_6474.JPG.a1e7bff30361830730a001d52eeb10e2.JPG/monthly_2016_05/large.IMG_6477.JPG.efc6f37bcf7343bc1f11b39a6673d04a.JPG/monthly_2016_05/large.IMG_6478.JPG.53d1007ea621bdf031d49902e52241ce.JPG

Back