Buying Used?

Pickwickben

Reaction score
We have been looking at a new 2275 GCW w/ Yamaha 150. This is a great boat but I think I might have found a 2012 model with the Yamaha 250. My question is what kind of warranty does Bennington offer and does it transfer to a new owner? Also does anyone know what kind of warranty Yamaha offers and does it transfer? I would love to have a new boat but if I can get a one year old boat with a bigger motor for the same price I think that is what I would want to do. Any thoughts?

I know Benningtons' warranty is transferable and depending when that 2012 was built it could have the 7 year or the 5 year. Yamaha I don't know about but I would guess it would be.

I have a 2010 Bennie. Transferred my warranty with $0.00 cost. Go thru Bennington directly, dealer wanted $150.00. Contact Yamaha or your local dealer with your model and serial number. He can tell you what warranty is on the engine.

Warranty on Yamaha is transferable, I've done 2 so far. As for the Benny, you can transfer the warranty, only thing is I believe it changes the lifetime warranty on everything under the deck to 10 years, which really if there was a weld problem or decking problem, it probably will have been seen before that time. BUT double check with your dealer or Bennington.

Just for anyone reading this with a Mercury... Mercury will also transfer warranty to the next owner for $0.

The 150 is a great size, but all things being equal, I would go for the used with the bigger motor.

Don't be scared of used, just look it over and test it out good. Take it out on the lake more than once. Spend several hours (at least) on the lake with the used one if you can. If all goes well, get it. You will still have warranty coverage. Like Derrick said, if something was to go wrong, odds are it would before the warranty is up. You only lost a year.

You should also ask whether maintenence was done on schedule, and whether any warranty work has already been done on the used boat.

How many hours are on the 2012?

Last edited by a moderator:
Test drive a different one each weekend and spend several hours on each one; heck, you don't need to buy a boat :rolleyes: Just busting kaydano.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2012 has 40 hours on it and has had all the maintenance completed before it was put in the water this year. I am planning to go for a test drive this weekend or the first of next week to see how it handles.

We bought a 4 year old Bennington and have been very happy. It had high hours and we figured some repair dollars into the equation. If you don't have to have new, it lets you get an upgraded boat for your price point. The biggest problem for used Benningtons is that there a very few of them for sale. Except for Derrick, most people keep their Benningtons for years.

This buying used link brings up hour meters, and I was told the hour meter shows how many hours the key was in the on position and not the hours the motor was actually running. Any clarification would be appreciated.

I bought used. Got a fantastic boat at a significant savings. Bennington has been great with warranty transfer and I had two issues dealt with with no problems. Also transferred the OEM warranty and an extended warranty on our Yamaha 250. Also easy to do and had an issue covered well by Yamaha. The 250 won't give you a lot of extra top end speed, but it definitely gives you more power out of the hole and allows for more constant speed and puling power. If you are going to do any water sports or expect to haul larger crews, I think it's the way to go! Good luck with the purchase!

I know on mine the hour meter shows, but DOES NOT accumulate until motor is running. Others may differ ?? I. Do only have a Yami 20hp 4 stroke but I would think they should all be that way .....

Ours needs a signal from the motor also.

I just purchased a used 2012 RCL and am so glad I went used. Huge discount and everyone that sees it thinks it new anyways!!

I have a 2011 GLI that considering selling (PADS!!) Can the 5 year bow to stern warranty (1 year left) transfer to the new Owner?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

I have a 2011 GLI that considering selling (PADS!!) Can the 5 year bow to stern warranty (1 year left) transfer to the new Owner?

Thanks in advance,

Sean
Yes, through your Bennington dealer.

The hour meter thing depends on the year, my '06 was spinning the meter when the key was on. Not good considering the key had to be in the on position for the fish finder to work.

Nothing wrong with buying used, I'm the second owner and after two years of ownership the NADA guide still values my Benny at more than I have into it. I'm a proud supporter of those afflicted with PADS.

Thanks Jack!  That helps.  I saw another thread where TB said the warranty was not transferable...  but that PDF clearly states it is!

I took delivery of my new boat one month ago and I have 40 hours on it already. IMO the used boat you're looking at is still new!

Thanks Jack!  That helps.  I saw another thread where TB said the warranty was not transferable...  but that PDF clearly states it is!
Hmm, do you remember what thread that was in? I don't recall ever seeing TB say it wasn't. It is, so I suppose it really doesn't matter, just surprised that you saw it somewhere. I believe they have stated before that the 7 year isn't transferable, it would reduce down to the 5 years (I think I saw that somewhere!  Haha) . 

Back