CAMO deck fastening system suggestions?

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
Hey all, since I know we have all walks of life people on this forum, and I KNOW a few have done decks recently, figured I'd ask if anyone knows about this system?

It seems like a nice idea, just wondering if anyone has used it firsthand, or has any real experience with it?
Screenshot_20180818-075927_Dropbox.jpg Screenshot_20180818-075934_Dropbox.jpg

https://www.camofasteners.com/

I'll be using just 2x6 PT deck boards. Just started ripping out my pond last night, that sucked!! Haha I remember how much work it was putting in! All those rocks hauled from random creeks and stone piles we'd "borrow" from around here!! Haha, don't worry, I kept detailed records and will be SURE to return each one!

20180817_184900.jpg

So any thoughts or real world testimonials are appreciated, need to get it ordered quickly if I'm going to use it because of course no one in this Canadian small town carries anything but your basic products. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180817_184900.jpg
    20180817_184900.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 10
I used it before. I was happy with it and the results. The screws weren’t 100% hidden but pretty close.

I used it before. I was happy with it and the results. The screws weren’t 100% hidden but pretty close.
What about longevity? Any issues with splitting wood after shrinkage? Or was it on a Trex style decking you used it? Thanks for the quick reply!

We’ve sold a bunch of them. Never had any complaints. Works on all kinds of decking. Never heard of issues with splitting treated “when installing” but we get comments about some treated splitting after aging, but that’s with any fastener, not just Camo.

I’ll send you a Camo for free, if you send me your stones for free. I need more for my pond ... :D

What about longevity? Any issues with splitting wood after shrinkage? Or was it on a Trex style decking you used it? Thanks for the quick reply!

Haven’t noticed any excessive cracking. The nice thing is that if cracks develop around the screw it’ll be on the side and not on the top.

I went with cortex when I did my deck and my father in laws. Can’t see the plugs unless you look close. Haven’t used that one

I used the Cortex system too with really good results. He was talking pressure treated though.

Thanks everyone, I said screw it ( pun intended) and ordered them. If it turns out bad I can always face screw them later and all I'm out is time and money!! Haha I looked at the Tiger Claw system too, but it was pretty expensive and would be a pain to remove if it did start to fail.

Maybe it was a sign, but Amazon Canada dropped the price of the 2 3/8 screws to $122 for the 1750 pack! More than I'll need, but more importantly, I won't run out!

I've built decks, screened porches and docks as a hobby business for more than 25 years. I used the Camo system on a sunken hot tub project I did last summer. All in all, I was satisfied with it. Well designed and easy to use. I used 2 x 6 Lumberock composite decking and the spacing of the tool is appropriate because those planks will not dry out and shrink. I would be concerned about using the Camo with PT lumber. Around here (SC), that lumber is sold soaking wet and everyone installs it butted as tightly as you can get it. In 6 months to a year, it dries enough to reveal about 1/8" gap between deck boards. If you start with a 1/8" (or larger) gap on wet boards, you will probably end up with 1/4" or larger gaps after a year. That does not look good in my opinion and it will catch a woman's high heel.

I just looked at the Camo website and, under tools, you will see different models recommended for wood than recommended for composites. Some models leave no gap while others leave 1/16" or 3/16". For instance, the MARKSMAN® PRO-XI model says "For use with treated wood and other soft woods due to the shrinkage that occurs in those types of deckboards."

Just something to consider.

I've built decks, screened porches and docks as a hobby business for more than 25 years. I used the Camo system on a sunken hot tub project I did last summer. All in all, I was satisfied with it. Well designed and easy to use. I used 2 x 6 Lumberock composite decking and the spacing of the tool is appropriate because those planks will not dry out and shrink. I would be concerned about using the Camo with PT lumber. Around here (SC), that lumber is sold soaking wet and everyone installs it butted as tightly as you can get it. In 6 months to a year, it dries enough to reveal about 1/8" gap between deck boards. If you start with a 1/8" (or larger) gap on wet boards, you will probably end up with 1/4" or larger gaps after a year. That does not look good in my opinion and it will catch a woman's high heel.

I just looked at the Camo website and, under tools, you will see different models recommended for wood than recommended for composites. Some models leave no gap while others leave 1/16" or 3/16". For instance, the MARKSMAN® PRO-XI model says "For use with treated wood and other soft woods due to the shrinkage that occurs in those types of deckboards."

Just something to consider.
I appreciate your response, the Pro X1 is the one I ordered as it was only a 1/16 gap, plus I ordered the Edge single screw model. I would have ordered the stand up unit with the collated screws, but for possibly doing only one deck, wasn't in the budget.

I used it on my Azek deck and was very happy with it, its not the fastest system but its very nice and sets a consistent spacing. It’s also a pretty affordable system for a semi hidden fastener.

Well, got it all done! Pleased with the initial outcome, hopefully it will hold up! Definitely doesn't have the ability to untwist or hold pt lumber like simply face screwing, but very very pleased with the look of it! Would probably be great on a Trex style decking where twisting isn't a real concern.

Put 30 small (19mm) led's all along the risers, and decided to replace my 20w halogen bollard path lights with 3w led buried lights. Quite pleased with it all. I had to buy an etching cream for the buried lights, it was blinding if you looked directly at them! Still REALLY bright!20180922_194908.jpg
20180909_195124.jpg 20180909_195139.jpg 20180903_210459.jpg CameraZOOM-20180922221813630.jpg

Looks Great Bulldog! Fortunate that you can do yourself, as I would have had to pay for the labor as well. Any concern about someone not paying attention and falling into the window opening? Could you cover it with a steel mesh grating that would still allow light

Very nice Derrick!

Link, he placed a bench over it in the first pic. I’m surprised you called it a window opening instead of a beer cooler .... :D:D:D

Yup saw it after you pointed it out

Looks great! Now this just shows all the wives what we could be doing if we didn’t have a boat!!

Wow, nice work!

Nice job Derrick!

Back