Can I use my Black Max from my 115 on my new 150?

The only time the 115 is tedious with the cable steering for me is pulling tubes AND doing a lot of S curves. After 4 or 5 teenagers have a couple-three rides each, I'm pretty tired. Not super tired as in dripping sweat all over the boat tired, but you can feel it some. It definitely takes two hands. An equal bonus would be to not have to fight the motor torque all the time. Sure you can trim that out mostly, but it seems to always be there and I'm paranoid about letting go of the wheel. Hydraulic steering gets rid of that, as I'm told. So yeah, I'm curious how difficult the 150 will be.

I'm talking about trying the 150 with my manual cable steering system!

Then I would upgrade to standard SeaStar hydraulic next winter. Or, like I said, next week if it's that bad! Good to hear the SeaStar hydraulic works pretty good though. I'm not anywhere close to adding power assist.
Oops sorry, sometimes my reading comprehension is not so good when I'm multitasking!

What you're gonna notice w/o the hydraulic steering on the 150 vs the old 115 is the steering torque that's being transferred to the wheel. Again, this is caused more by the larger / longer gearcase of the 150 than the hp difference. You will still be able to drive it just fine at normal speeds, but it will require a bit more effort pulling tubes or at WOT. The hyd steering eliminates the torque completely. It does, however, still require effort to steer, unlike the same unit with power assist which is one finger easy.

Adding the SeaStar hyd. Unit is relatively simple for most DIYers. I think that with all the tubing that you do, you will eventually spend the money to upgrade.

My boat has been set up each way. IMO, save your money and go straight to the SeaStar hyd. w/ the power assist unit. You'll never regret it. It's also a nice selling feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had regular steering on my old Sunchaser with a 60 Bigfoot, and it was terrible. I'd have sore arms at the end of the day. With my power steering I steer my 200 with one finger. It's a dream.

Dano - I know a guy on a lake that is not too far from you that would let you test the sea star out if you have not tried one yet. ;)

I may take you up on that sometime! Actually, if I decide to install it myself after boating season is over (or next week) and get stuck on how something should fit together, I may look you up.

We beached across from your marina at Bohemia beach tonight for an hour or so. Me and 5 girls on my boat. Then my neighbor pulls up and beaches next to me. It was just him and 4 girls in his boat...

Okay, they were our wives, daughters, and our daughter's friends, but it started out as a pretty good story. Ha ha ha.

Lol. I'd be happy to help. And if this weather keeps up Ill be able to walk from the marina to Bohemia Beach...:/

Back