Can I use my Black Max from my 115 on my new 150?

kaydano

Reaction score
I was told props that fit my 115 won't fit the new 150 because the hubs are different sizes.

Looking on Mercury's site, they say the Black Max fits ALL Mercury motors from 2.5 HP and above. They don't recommended it over 250 HP. From that, I assume the existing Black Max on my 115 should work on the 150.

Since I already own the Black Max, figured I'd just keep it as a spare. It would be for emergency use - I understand it likely wouldn't be the optimal size for the 150, but does anyone know why I might have been told it won't work at all? I think two dealers told me this, if I remember right. I could understand a different hub kit might be needed, but that's not what they were saying.

Thanks!

They are correct. The 150 has a larger gearcase. New prop. Time to go stainless now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I miss something Kaydano? When did you pull the trigger on a 150?

Lakeliving - Where have you been??? Don't you read all my posts??? Ha ha ha. Trigger gets pulled tomorrow actually. You didn't miss much, it happened quick. The other day the wife said she wanted the 150, and I'm going after it as fast as I can. I've called 6 places for prices and plan to make a final offer tomorrow. Then I can delete about 200 posts of mine complaining about not getting the 150 in the first place. I might print them all and burn them in the firepit one at a time, ceremonial style. Maybe I'll YouTube it, and you guys can have a good laugh.

B&S - I believe you. The only way I can figure you (and the two dealers) and Mercury are all correct on this is for the Black Max to come in several different hub sizes. Their web site only says it can be used on 2.5 HP up to 250 HP, but it is silent on there being multiple hub sizes, but that would explain it. Do you think that's it? Thanks for the info. A forum member offered me a stainless that I plan to buy, but I was also hoping I could keep the black max as a spare. Hello ebay! I guess the Spitfire will go on ebay too. The whole Spitfire thing was pretty short lived.

Glad to hear that tomorrow is the day kaydano. How long will it be before you update your signature from 115HP Mercury 4 Stroke with Black Max 13-3/4 x 15P

Ha ha, Link. I hadn't even thought about that! Soon...

Gotta give you credit, at least you did not trade boats just to get a different prop .... Unlike some forum members .... LOL !!!!!

That's one thing this form has shown me, go with the 150. :)

The Black Max is available for a broad hp range of engines. That being said, each hp range has a different size gearcase / hub diameter. Your 115 has a 4.25" gearcase while the 150 has a 4.75" gearcase. The prop hub diameter will coincide with the gearcase. Your Spitfire or Blackmax will slide right onto the 150, but the prop hub diameter will be smaller than the gearcase OD. It would work in a pinch just to get you back to the ramp, but it would have a tough time getting the boat on plane.

Again, you made the right choice with the 150....................................until you want even more power / speed LOL! It's a sickness!

I think 200 posts on wishing you had a 150 would be a conservative number. My wife is not a fan of going fast so I don't see a larger motor in my future. Looking at the cost of some of these larger motors it would be cheaper to buy a decent used speed boat and have a nice toon.

Give it time Andy, sooner or later the need for speed will arise!! :) apparently I have a very low tolerance for fulfilling a ridiculous want. As stated by SOME other member! hehe

"I feel the need .... The need for speed" ...... And the movie is ...?????

I think 200 posts on wishing you had a 150 would be a conservative number. My wife is not a fan of going fast so I don't see a larger motor in my future. Looking at the cost of some of these larger motors it would be cheaper to buy a decent used speed boat and have a nice toon.
So I see you have been reading all my posts after all. Do you really think it was more than 200???

There will be no more such posts though, because I pulled the trigger today on the 150! They would have put it on tomorrow had the wife and daughter not set up a big pontoon party tomorrow night. I hope to have it on by Tuesday.

After some pressing, the dealer did confirm the Black Max I have now would fit on the 150, even though the hub would be smaller, and I could limp back to the marina on that, but they doubted I'd get the boat up on plane with it. Exactly what Ben & Suzy said. They didn't say why, but I suspect the exhaust gases might get around the hub and thin out the water too much? Or not enough diameter left in the shadow of the larger gear case. Not important.

Good for you!! It's going to make you fall in love with your boat all over again!

Thanks, Derrick. I just know it's going to be everything I ever hoped it would be! (Sorry for that cheesy little line.) I am pretty excited though.

You will laugh at me, I almost shouldn't tell you this, but I decided to try it without the hydraulic steering upgrade. I know, I'm glutton for punishment. But it costs me nothing to see what it's like first hand, and I am curious how much worse it is over the 115. I will likely add it over the winter. Or next week.

I drove the same package on a G with the 150 and standard Sea Star hydraulic and really didn't have a problem with it. At higher speeds, turning was stiff, but probably not overly so if you're used to the 115. It was actually my wife who preferred the power assist (and ESP!) enough to say go for that instead which we did, of course for a ton more $$$. I think your try it first is a good strategy and power assist can always be added.

I'm talking about trying the 150 with my manual cable steering system!

Then I would upgrade to standard SeaStar hydraulic next winter. Or, like I said, next week if it's that bad! Good to hear the SeaStar hydraulic works pretty good though. I'm not anywhere close to adding power assist.

Kaydano I am eager to hear your thoughts concerning not having the hydraulic steering after you put on the 150. I have seen plenty of comments on the value of it but I gotta tell you I don't find steering with my 115 to be any problem at all and have always been surprised that so many say it is necessary. Granted we don't pull skiers or tubes though

Back