Center console Benny ? What's to come?

Newport RI

Reaction score
Wonder what's next for pontoons and Bennington in the future? I am an avid auto enthusiast and love going to auto shows where many makers will have on display concept cars. Some make it to fruition others not.

What do you see for the pontoon boat offerings in the next 5 years? I think a center console set up interior lay out could be neat, dual engine offerings, all LCD like gauges / large gps chart plotter screen all in one etc., adjustible wind screen for driver..... I do live on the ocean and New England so my hopes for the future maybe different then some others.

I am a new owner ..... but what ever I own I tend to think of what's to come!

I ways thought a center console would be popular too.

I like thinking of what's to come as well, but I hope nothing too crazy, since it looks like I will be placing an order for a new boat on Monday!! I don't think a center console would benefit a pontoon since it will reduce seating pretty substantially in my mind, and that is one of the biggest draws to a pontoon boat. I do believe the "all in one" screen will be seen in the near future. Wakeboard boats are starting to have them and they look pretty cool. Plus engines are so digital now that there is a ton of info available, as long as you have the right cable to connect it all together. I don't know that any more substantial changes will be made to toon design, I believe a lot of R & D went into them already. It will be creature comforts, better materials, new layouts, better storage, running bigger wire for power, ground, and speakers (sorry, those might just be on MY wishlist) . I think things that can be done in the immediate future is an offering of a playpen cover that cover the FULL extended transom area with snaps all around. This could easily be an option by the simple application of heavy duty velcro and an additional piece with snaps, the nice part is it is an easy enough option because all there current cut designs for materials would stay the same, so you could have it with or without quite simply. I know I would love something to keep cats and critters and dirty rain off my transom. There seems to have been a lot of positive reaction to Off Call's painted cowling, I will be looking at it once I can afford it. I hope they don't do something like the certain maker of a model called Savannah, all that fiberglass looks a bit cheap and weird to me. I don't mind the use of fiberglass, but tasteful, like a Q. Ultimately, it's up to US. What are OUR expectations? What have WE been asking for? What additions are we putting on? its awesome to see what companies can do, the Ford GT, I'd love to have one, heck I'd love to ride in one, but let's face it, that is not where they make their bread and butter. (I can't remember who the heck on this site said they had one, but if you EVER feel like driving it to crappy Manitoba, I sure hope I get a phone call!! Heck, call collect!!

No ford gt here but a rare porsche 993tt RUF Turbo R with 500+hp that goes pretty good! I think a center console design mapped out well would loose minimal seating. One side could be the door exit off the boat and the other side is where the helm once was. Plus now you can add seating directly in front of the center console as seen on many center console boats. (Small Lower bench+some storage) the helm drivers seat could also be built to hold 2 well; would be nice to have ability to have wife or child or even dog right next to me if just 2 on the boat etc. One would gain better visibility, sportier look, ability to do things swifter from each side of helm with some room. It would be on the sportier side then Luxo I think and better for some fishing use IMO I would have considered it if it was an option.

I used to work for Porsche, nice and crazy fast cars done by RUF.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use to have a Ford GT ........ Well technically it was a Maverick with GT stickers ...... Guess that don't count .... LOL !!!!

I would love to have a Porsche, hehe, who wouldn't!

I think wider is going to be in the near future. Opening up the options to go crazy on the HP, both inboard and outboard. Imagine a Benny with 2 - 8.2's or 4 - 350's across the back.... YIKES!

https://www.youtube....h?v=5YbwnWUgGII Phone vid of the beast!

I agree wider would be sweet! from a 8.5 to a 9.5 or near 10ft would be killer.... we may have to wait for engines to get lighter as two hanging off the back may make the vessel much to rear heavey if went with f350's... although dual outboard 250's yami can't be that much more then a v8 350 or a big inboard weight wise...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can they even go wider? I thought 8.5 was max for towing on highways without restrictions?

https://www.youtube....h?v=5YbwnWUgGII Phone vid of the beast!

I agree wider would be sweet! from a 8.5 to a 9.5 or near 10ft would be killer.... we may have to wait for engines to get lighter as two hanging off the back may make the vessel much to rear heavey if went with f350's... although dual outboard 250's yami can't be that much more then a v8 350 or a big inboard weight wise...
Dang that's yours?? That is a thing of beauty!! I love it in white, that is always my #1 choice for vehicles, they look so sleek and clean. I would love that car! The wife was never a huge fan of Porsches, she likes a Viper. I agree that a Viper grabs a lot of attention, but the abilities of a Porsche are incredible. I don't think I will ever be forced to make the decision between Viper and Porsche, so I should be okay! I think my next vehicle at this point is a ways off, and I like the look of the Infinity QX56, in white of course. The features on that thing is amazing!! And still 400hp. Guess I'll keep playing the lottery, that's about the only way it will happen!

The trailer would pivot, you'd be towing it on it's side. I'm an out of the box thinker.

Actually, if you spend that much, I'm sure you would pay the permits to have it delivered. Much like a house boat.

I like thinking of what's to come as well, but I hope nothing too crazy, since it looks like I will be placing an order for a new boat on Monday!! . . . . . . ... I think things that can be done in the immediate future is an offering of a playpen cover that cover the FULL extended transom area with snaps all around. This could easily be an option by the simple application of heavy duty velcro and an additional piece with snaps, the nice part is it is an easy enough option because all there current cut designs for materials would stay the same, so you could have it with or without quite simply. I know I would love something to keep cats and critters and dirty rain off my transom. . . . . . . .
You could always install a little electric fence on the back end.

Can they even go wider? I thought 8.5 was max for towing on highways without restrictions?
I believe you are correct . Also the marinas and ramps I have seen are set up for 8 and a half .You would have to get an outside slip.

Or live on a lake ( I like that ) another thought ,what about a lift ?

I like the pivot trailer idea ,I don't know if that would work from home to ramp . Fluids most likely have to be drained and everything else on the boat secured

Hehe, but you'd have to have a stuntman hit a ramp to load the trailer every time!! Haha

Never-mind, I googled it... It's already being made... Not going to name the manufacture.

Many marinas have wider slips.

Hehe, but you'd have to have a stuntman hit a ramp to load the trailer every time!! Haha

My slip is 14 by 40 but again ocean not lake etc. they could make a model that's for ocean, wider, not trailer able is ok by me. It would be a smaller audience but once tapped and got some more ocean exposure could blow up!

Our slip is 20 ft wide for two .

A few other pontoon companies already make 10 foot wide beams with twin outboard configurations. Most large lake marinas have slips that are plenty wide. Yes, the permits become a must at anything over 8'6". But I guess that depends if you plan on towing long distances or major roads. There are lots of folks here in Michigan that tow oversize boats without permits because it's on 5 or 10 miles from the marina to their house or storage facilities.

I think a center console set up would be great. You could have a gate on both side so you could get off no matter what side the dock is on.

Back