Damage in storage

Pcoyne

Reaction score
Would like a little feedback on this one. Picked up my boat from storage only to find out it was dented while being stored this winter. I am absolutely sick over this my boat is not even a year old. I am angry more so that I was lied too and told my boat was damaged when I brought it for storage. Ironically I happened to take a picture of the boat the same day I brought to storage place and no damage in photo. I am just at a lose the dealer says the new panel will cost thousands and take 1-1 1/2 months to get in. Although this is just cosmetic it is extremely frustrating. Any thoughts?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Can't really tell from the pictures because they're too small. Did you try to push it out? Call your ins co, That's why you pay for ins.

I would tear them up. If they don't pay for their damages, go through insurance and your carrier will subrogate against the storage co if they can. I would imagine your photos in addition to the subrogation adjuster can get your boat repaired and recover your deductible as well. Good luck and keep us posted. Maybe we should form a posse and go in there with you. It would be like the A team. Semp as MR T, Carl as Hannibal, Derrick as Murdock and I'm still thinking about who could be face.

I agree w/Lakeliving..........if they don't want to fix it get your insurance company involved and let them handle it..............

Did you happen to let the dealer know that you had a pic of it the day you brought it in for storage? That is a pretty good ding, I'd be livid as well. Definitely call your insurance company and let them know that it was damaged in storage, see what they say about your pics. I guess this is a good, albeit unfortunate, eye opener to do a full check of the boat WITH the storage company when you drop off your boat. Just like a car rental place does. My boat is in a big shed at my sister in laws farm, so I can't do anything, but if yours is a dealer, for sure. Sorry to hear/see.

I appreciate the feedback guys!! Yeah the ding is good cannot be pushed out and the verticle strut would snap off if i try to move weld is already brokr. Problem I have is that the parts could take two wonths and I am not missisng anytime in June to make repairs summers are way to short in upstate NY. It will be a fall project. Dealer says whole side needs to be replaced and will be very costly. If the marina does not make good on it everyone on this forum will be given there contact information and email address!! Lol

PS this is my wife and I's baby and dream we are just sick to our stomachs and cannot imagine being lied to about it!!!! Just tell us someone screwed up accidents happen.

Wow, that sucks ....... As others said, go through your insurance company and see what comes out of that. I know you said weld is broken, and it's hard to tell from pics, BUT, you might try to "bump" vertical support with "dead blow hammer" to try to get somewhat straight. The panel ding might be able to be popped out some. It looks like a pretty good crease in the photo, so that may be the worst to try to fix. Thats really high on the panel, it almost looks like a prop had to hit it in the up position as it's inside the deck/toon perimeter. I'm "guessing" they "swung" it or another boat around and caught a prop. Keep us updated .........

I would tear them up. If they don't pay for their damages, go through insurance and your carrier will subrogate against the storage co if they can. I would imagine your photos in addition to the subrogation adjuster can get your boat repaired and recover your deductible as well. Good luck and keep us posted. Maybe we should form a posse and go in there with you. It would be like the A team. Semp as MR T, Carl as Hannibal, Derrick as Murdock and I'm still thinking about who could be face.
"I pity the fool" that did this ........at5132.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How do they store them? On trailers or a rack of some sort? To me it almost seems like a forklift did it, just because the bend in the bar is narrow, as is the scratch. They definitely KNEW they did it when it happened, so either the employee covered it up to save his job, or the boss is trying to save his money.

PCoyne, yes it sucks. I had a warranty claim that Bennington approved and took care of last summer involving my aft vinyl. Like your claim the furniture and fence had to be removed to get to the vinyl. My dealer, Point Breeze Marina, did the job in two days so if the dealer orders your material and once arrived give them the boat at the end of the weekend I would think you would be all set by the next weekend. Or you could do it like me and not take a chance, I lived with it then had it done late fall after boating season

Point Breeze Is my dealer as well great guys. I think I'm going to get a little black touch up cover the scratch and deal with it for the season and have it repaired in the fall. It really is very minor in the grand scheme of things I think I am more upset about being lied to at this point than anything else. I am launching next weekend maybe I will run into you out on the lake. Your boat looks like it would be pretty recognizable.

I would at least notify your ins co now even if your not ready to start the repairs. That way they don't question late reporting in the fall. You would probably also have a settlement and funds to make sure it is ready to go when you are.

Pcoyne, good attitude for now. Get one of those big band-aids and put on it for the summer. Make a few people laugh and hopefully will take some of the sting out of it for you. Steve

Steve,

LOL that just made it all better I am absolutely doing that!!!! Awesome idea

We had damage in 2007 on our first benny in the slip it was a storm but our insurance fixed the whole problem It was acutally 18K as the pontoons were bent up and there was side damage as well. Give them a call they will probably take care of it. We had to do ours in the fall as well though for the same reason as yours. Wisconsin season is short. Good Luck

Point Breeze Is my dealer as well great guys. I think I'm going to get a little black touch up cover the scratch and deal with it for the season and have it repaired in the fall. It really is very minor in the grand scheme of things I think I am more upset about being lied to at this point than anything else. I am launching next weekend maybe I will run into you out on the lake. Your boat looks like it would be pretty recognizable.
At this point, I don't think I'd use the term "run into you" ....... Sorry, just had to lighten up the moment ..... :)

Padre went from total denial to oh that dent?? Get an estimate see what we can do. I am more upset by that then the dent itself!!! How do people live with themselves. Semper lol thats a good one! Lol all you can do is laugh life is too short glad I can vent on you guys.

Wait a bit until they are busy, then have a cop come out to get a police report. That should get their attention. Definitely report it now to your insurance company. You don't want to wait very long to do that.

Sorry to hear about this. To me, this is no different than a hit and run. A crime was committed here. Tell them that's how you feel, and give them a chance to make it right, then call the police and your insurance company anyway. Even if they say they will fix it, they've already shown you will need to hold them to it.

Back