• Engines greater than 115hp - Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Engines greater than 115hp - Never

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fastmnstealth

Reaction score
A new Poll:

When I snowmobile, I use my tether religiously.  I've seen the result of many accidents online (bodily harm as well as equipment)  that could have been avoided or minimized by use of a tether.  

How many use the tether while driving their boats (Benny or other)?

I figured I break it up by motor size as that usually equates to speed.

I'll be the first to vote.  I don't believe I've ever worn a tether while boating (and I've been in and driven some very fast boats), but I'm more likely to with the new rig primarily because of how fast it is and I'm more responsible now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always use my teather, and when anyone else is driving my boat they use it too. That's the mark of the Captain, you have a responsibility, stay there and do your job!

Being honest..........I know We should wear our tether but on our Benny we just never have!

On the other hand.........we religiously wore them when we had jet skis.......

I used the Tether routinely on our Jet Boat due to speed

On Benny I never use the Tether , my speed is nowhere close to high with 90HP

Just don't see the need , but I do wear a life jacket since I dont swim (lol)

TRAF_webgraphic.jpg

I don't. Then again our lake has 20hp restriction ... :)

I am a d@mn good captain, and the only situation I would allow to develop that would let the lanyard save me, is unavoidably getting hit by another boat. I don't wear it. On the water it is hard to be unavoidably hit while underway. Except for those blasted PWC morons. They scare me. Not responsible PWC owners (just to be clear) but the rentals and inexperienced "friends" who were told "go ahead...take it for a spin, there's nothing to it."

I have been playing with the Benny doing figure 8's etc and during a hard bank I hit so hard that I flipped feet over head onto the floor.

Just saying.

Boating by yourself or with youngsters it is a great safety item.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never.  Also, just because a boat, a car or something else comes packed with safety devices, does not mean not using them you are not a good captain, driver, etc.  What if all new Bennies came with helmets just in case you fall in your boat?

I'd wear the helmet.

I only wear one on the jet ski. Not in the boat. I do wear another tether though full time, one end is attached to my neck, the other to my wifes hand.

Not only do I wear the tether, but I went the step further to have seat belts installed in all the seating positions on my Benny. You can never be too careful. You're only allowed to free to move around the boat when pouring wine or getting beer.

This is even a policy at the dock depending on the rate of consumption.

I think in Oklahoma you have to remain seated while under way so maybe seatbelts are next down there. I'm shocked they are still not in school buses.

I think in Oklahoma you have to remain seated while under way so maybe seatbelts are next down there. I'm shocked they are still not in school buses.
Are you serious about remaining seated while under way?  That is ridiculous especially on a Pontoon boat.  I am so glad my area is not policed like that.  If a warden happens to be on the lake that day they could cares less if any passenger has a drink in their hand, and the driver is not slurring, you are all set to go.  Not sure what all the laws in other states are, but sounds like some a quite strict.

The reason why seat belts are not installed on school buses is.......that it would take too long to get the kids out of the bus in an emergency. Also the seats in newer buses are extra tall and padded. They were designed to protect the kids in a crash........so I guess they will just bounce around and end up on the floor........

no face guard on a half helmet!!

In my old ski boat I used the tether most of the time, it also had cable steering and if it wasn't trimmed right and you let go of the wheel it would turn.

On my benny I have never used it, It has hydraulic and steering will not get away from you like cable and also the benny is a better smoother riding boat then my ski boat was, especially in rougher waters.

The reason why seat belts are not installed on school buses is.......that it would take too long to get the kids out of the bus in an emergency. Also the seats in newer buses are extra tall and padded. They were designed to protect the kids in a crash........so I guess they will just bounce around and end up on the floor........
Another reason is they would need more than just lap belts, with just lap belts there heads would hit the seat in front of them and could possibly break there necks, and it is to hard to have shoulder straps, to many different size kids and then making sure they are all wearing them properly.

I also wear a swim cap, snorkle, and flippers.

Back