Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Engines greater than 115hp - Always

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Engines greater than 115hp - Sometimes

• Engines greater than 115hp - Never

• Total voters
An accelerometer is the solution.  They are in all sorts of things.  Hard drives, cars (for air bags), smart phones, etc.

In a "hard jarring event" it could simply cut the motor.  You don't have to wear it, or worry about friends and family wearing it.  It would be a permanent part of the boat, always on, always working, always protecting.  No tether needed.  I'm kinda stumped this isn't already being used.  I can't imagine the cost being much.  Legislate it.  Make it a law, then the cost factor isn't a competition issue because every boat would have to have one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last thing I want is me cutting a wake hitting hard then the motor dies on the second swell. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Just my opinion. Too much is done with the throttle in some evasive actions on the water. If an air bag goes off you should be stopped.

If you were stopped, it wouldn't need to go off.

Like most things, it would have to be dialed in so there weren't false trips.

On my rider lawnmower, if I get off the seat it kills the motor in gear or not. As a back up to the tether, why can't the boating industry do something similar? If the helm is left for any reason the motor shuts down. Just my thought.

On my rider lawnmower, if I get off the seat it kills the motor in gear or not. As a back up to the tether, why can't the boating industry do something similar? If the helm is left for any reason the motor shuts down. Just my thought.
Why would they want to do this when it is not law and most people don't want it?

An accelerometer is the solution.  They are in all sorts of things.  Hard drives, cars (for air bags), smart phones, etc.

In a "hard jarring event" it could simply cut the motor.  You don't have to wear it, or worry about friends and family wearing it.  It would be a permanent part of the boat, always on, always working, always protecting.  No tether needed.  I'm kinda stumped this isn't already being used.  I can't imagine the cost being much.  Legislate it.  Make it a law, then the cost factor isn't a competition issue because every boat would have to have one.
Honestly, do you really want the government to continually make laws like this?  It bothers me when the government makes laws to protect me from myself.  I don't believe laws should be made just for that 1 percent chance something is going to happen.

I answered based on riding a PWC. Should this be based on only larger motorized watercraft?

Back