docking in currents

Bull

Reaction score
I have been boating over 30 years, and spent 15 as a certified competition ski boat driver. Just when you think you could dock a boat in your sleep, you buy a pontoon boat and put it on a dock with a port side current (heavier on the bow) in a area that usually has a stern wind.....break out the spring-lines and feel like a beginner all over...Since I am often sole, I hope the learning curve picks up quick....did any of you gents go through this...thoughts are appreciated

Al

Al,

I've had the very same experience, also after many years of driving a dd inboard which I'd pretty much mastered in most conditions. The pontoon is like a giant sail and responses to power and rudder are obviously much slower, requiring anticipation and/or educated guesses on how to position it. Spring lines are definitely your friend, but one thing you have to take off the table immediately is what I call the "glide" of a glass v hull boat. There is none of that on a toon, so you tend to use power and direction more to give it a push where you want to go. I've found firmer on the throttle is better, such that you're driving it in fairly aggressively. All, of course, depends on local conditions at the time.

I'm sure others here will have good suggestions from their experiences, so I'll look forward to hearing them too.

Good luck!

Same here.  Been boating 35 years and it's like learning all over again with the pontoon boat.  Not so bad if there is no wind or water current which is rarely the case and you don't have the same control with speed and direction as the V type boat.  I trailer the pontoon every where we go and have found that bunk type trailer guides are a tremendous help when loading onto the trailer.  Lots of discussion on the forums on this topic.

After hardly ever been on a boat until I was 57 needless to say I am beginner with beginner talents.  Therefore I spent the money and bought top of the line dock rub rails to protect my boat.  Then I would go out at 5:30am when no one would be watching and I would practice docking, pulling out and docking again over and over.  I still practice every summer

Al,

I've had the very same experience, also after many years of driving a dd inboard which I'd pretty much mastered in most conditions. The pontoon is like a giant sail and responses to power and rudder are obviously much slower, requiring anticipation and/or educated guesses on how to position it. Spring lines are definitely your friend, but one thing you have to take off the table immediately is what I call the "glide" of a glass v hull boat. There is none of that on a toon, so you tend to use power and direction more to give it a push where you want to go. I've found firmer on the throttle is better, such that you're driving it in fairly aggressively. All, of course, depends on local conditions at the time.

I'm sure others here will have good suggestions from their experiences, so I'll look forward to hearing them too.

Good luck!
It is funny you say this, because inboard drivers and boats that prefer to back out only one way, get used to it being there.

Last night, coming in very slow with firmer power helped.

This should only be bad until the Spring run-off is done.....but the bow in a strong current and the stern (not so much) is a challenge tritoon...  thank guys

As TomS said you don't glide the toon onto the trailer.  I am always under power approaching the trailer.  Jill guides me into the bunks.  Most of the time when I get the toons into the V of the bunk I am not straight to the trailer.  I keep idle power to keep the boat in the bunks and use the engine to straighten the boat and when straight then power on the trailer.  I have about 40% of the bunks out of the water.  That gives enough bunk to hold the boat straight.  I also miss the bunk alot if it is windy.  I am ready to reverse and try again.  Guide boards won't work on our ramp.  It is steep and the rear of the boat is floating higher than guide boards.   I have loaded by myself and it is very challenging when you can't see the front of the toon or the bunks.  If I had to load solo alot I would put a camera on the toon to show me the bunks.

....  If I had to load solo alot I would put a camera on the toon to show me the bunks.
That's a great suggestion. They're so cheap now, if I did a lot of trailing I'd definitely do it. I have a rear camera on my SUV and it's a big help connecting the trailer ball when I'm by myself.

If it is real windy and the current is bad, at a few of the boat ramps, I can throw a long dock line to one of my kids and have them help keep it straight..of course, that is not always possible with many boat ramps and if you don't have enough deck hands!  But I agree with the above posts...I could glide in with my 20' Key West, but with the Benny I need to make sure I am under power somewhat, but still under control and then remember that reverse is a great tool....above all else, I have to remind myself to be patient, be safe and don't stress if it takes more than a couple times.

It is somewhat akin to driving a refrigerator....

If you have a  GoPro, stick a mount under there and use your mobile device as a monitor.

That's my plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go pro. Touchy topic at our household. I want it, wife doesn't see the purpose, she handles the finances so you know the rest. I was hoping she would cave and I would have received one today but that was a pipe dream.

Gopro is a good idea was just thinking of a camera on the front so I can see. Mine is kept at a marina and I literally have 6 inches on each side when pulling in. Any type of wind makes it extremely difficult. I am used to my cruiser where I can put the nose of the boat in the slip and use the cheater boards to help I can't do that with the pontoon. It's going to take lots of practice

Practice, patience, and drift management

I agree with everyone else power is your friend in windy conditions. Where my ramp is, it tends to swirl the wind and is always a challenge. And it really helps when everyone waiting in line is watching..

Boat hook.  I use it quite a bit (especially when I'm alone) coming into the dock when it's windy.  When its calm, no need.  Obviously.

As a kid (teenager) I would always drive our boat up on the trailer and my Dad would back the trailer into the water.  We boated on a pretty fast river, and as you got closer to the ramp, the current slowed, so the boat actually traveled in an arc, even though the boat was pointed perpendicular to the shore the whole time coming toward the trailer.  It was tricky, but you learn.  Then I got this pontoon boat a couple years ago and learned that pontoons and wind don't mix too well...

When we first got our pontoon, I filled an empty water bottle half full of water and threw it in the lake.  Having it half fulll kept it from blowing around much while it floated in the lake.  Then I practiced my approaches, pretending the water bottle was the dock/trailer.  That was when I really learned what prop walk is and how to deal with it, or use it to your advantage.  When you put it in reverse, the back end pulls to port, even if you don't move the steering wheel from when you were going forward.  This isn't needed when coming up on a trailer, since you don't use reverse, but coming up alongside a dock it can be helpful.

For the newbies, on a calm day throw a noodle out and pretend it's the side of a dock and practice coming up along side.  That will help you fine-tune your skills without the worry of smacking the dock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great tips! My last boat had Bravo3 lower unit with two counter-rotating props and I could spin that boat on a dime simply going forward and reverse and turning the wheel. The pontoon is a whole other story. Driving in reverse gives almost no control due to prop wash and the pontoon is a giant sail even with the bimini down. Trailering with a wind and current is definitely challenging. 

You'll get the feel of it. Our last lift was only 114" wide, thus 3" of clearance on each side. I got pretty good at bringing it in with wind. Someone posted awhile ago they practiced out in the lake by throwing out a noodle and maneuvering up to it. Might be worth a shot.

Yeah, about 12 hours ago. Long day yesterday Andy???

Back