Drift Sock

kaydano

Reaction score
Anyone use one of these? I like to float with the wind, and I'm hoping something like this would slow the boat down in stronger winds so I don't drift across the lake as fast.

Yeah Kaydano, don't want to let life pass by too quickly.  When we are just floating we don't care how fast or slow

Interesting idea. Haven't seen it done or used on a toon....yet

I could send you mine.  I tried using it for slowing the drift for fishing.  I think it isn't big enough to slow a pontoon. 

I use mine all the time for trolling. My 150 won't idle down far enough to troll at 0.08 to 1.5mph for walleye.  Use them for driting about 5% of the time, but mostly for trolling,.  Love them. I put 1 off of each side.

Todd

Thread revival.....I just came across the drift sock or drift anchor depending on where you look. My wife and I were always accustomed to letting the current/wind take us on a floating booze cruise/fishing trip in our old center console. since this is our first pontoon, I've noticed it likes to turn sideways to the current and doesn't really get pushed like our old boat did.

Anyone else try these? If so, how many and what size?

I don't really care how fast we get pushed or pulled just as long as the current/waves come so we aren't always in the trough rocking.

Mine runs sideways. Always wondered why.

drift socks are driven by the current or the wind depending on which is stronger. Depending on the day, experiment with attach points on the boat and positioning of the motor (steering) to get the directional drift you want. If the current and wind are going the same way, it won't be much help..

Hadn't thought of the bucket. I keep one on board as a porta pottie anyway. It could do double duty. Since I use sanibags, holes in the bottom should be ok... Or it might work without holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use two of the largest size sold at cabelas to slow our drift when fishing for walleye. We mount them front and back and drift sideways. They do slow us down a pretty good amount on s breezy day.

Back