Drilling vinyl floor to install trolling motor

Steve21slx

Reaction score
I plan to install my trolling motor on my 21slx this year. The floor is seagrass and I guess I am just wondering what anyone may have done to the flooring before drilling holes for the mount. Did you cut slits in it to get to the wood or just drill through the vinyl? Any help would be appreciated.

For me, anything that has strands will be pre-cut in a circle a little bigger than the size of the hole.  Easy insurance to prevent snagging.

I wondered the same thing. Should you glue the strands after they are cut? I'm afraid of a strand pulling out like a carpet run ..... 

I think with the compression of the fastener there is little chance of it running.  However, a little adhesive is cheap insurance and a good idea.

Put down some kind of heavy duty tape before you drill through your floor. Then drill through the tape.......

I've had good luck on carpet drilling backwards and pressing hard until the fibers are out of the way, then put the drill in forward and drill the hole. Drilling backwards won't grab and snag a fibre, but you have to press hard to mash them out of the way.

I don't have seagrass, but I've seen it.  I'd probably cut a circle with a knife first assuming you only have a few holes to drill. 

Why not send a message to Bennington and see how they do it?

Find a gasket punch set or a snowmobile track stud drill bit. For the punch set you just find the right size and wack it, it'll cut the hole right out for you. The track bit can go in a cordless drill and it'll cut right thru the vinyl and not tear ( has no teeth!) 

Seagrass is a polypropylene sort of thing, very stringy. I'd think a hot knife like you'd use to cut poly rope would be best, just don't set it on fire LOL. Running the blade or bit backwards works great on fiberglass or vinyl, not sure about this stringy stuff though. If something grabs, it might go bye bye.

Found this site. Lists Bennington as a "valued client". Interesting info on the site. http://infinitylwv.com

When I mounted my trolling motor, I just drilled right through the seagrass.  I had no problems with snagging.  I used a newish bit and watched it closely while drilling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, What model Minn Kota is that?

When I mounted my trolling motor, I just drilled right through the seagrass.  I had no problems with snagging.  I used a newish bit and watched it closely while drilling.

Thanks and that is what i was thinking. I wish I would have gotten the 70 V2 but bought the 55 V2 on my original boat which was much smaller than this boat. It is good to see because it is the exact same setup I have as far as quick release. May have to see if i can sell my 55 and get a 70 in the near future. Looks nice! 

Also how dd you run the wires for the batteries and did you use a boot or something else?

Mark, What model Minn Kota is that?

It is the PowerDrive V2 70lb.  I installed the iPilot and really like it.  It struggles a little in the wind, but I can get approx 2.5mph out of it.  I have a 2 bank charger installed in helm to charge the 2 batteries (also installed under helm).

Thanks and that is what i was thinking. I wish I would have gotten the 70 V2 but bought the 55 V2 on my original boat which was much smaller than this boat. It is good to see because it is the exact same setup I have as far as quick release. May have to see if i can sell my 55 and get a 70 in the near future. Looks nice! 

Also how dd you run the wires for the batteries and did you use a boot or something else?

I run the power wires from help under lip inside of seat bases.  I just terminated the plug at the front corner seat and leave the plug in the cooler when not in use.  When in use, I lift the corner seat, pull the wire/plug out and close seat.  I plug the trolling motor into it and away I go.  My old boat, I mounted the plug (bulkhead style) into the fence.  That looked nice, but it required drilling into the fence which I don't want to do on my R.

So after some hesitation I decided to drill the floor. It went smoothly no issues. Since I do not have a trolling motor door because of dogs I mounted the trolling motor on the side. I did the same thing on my old boat and it worked well. I know you are suppose to mount it in the middle but really not an option here. I have to just get all the wiring figured out and were I am putting the depth finder for it. Since the weather has been less than advantagous to get the boat out this is the perfect time to get it figured out.

I see the bracket that mounts to the trolling motor is longer than the piece that is bolted to the boat. Is there adjustability there or does it only lock in as shown?

Can you get a photo looking down? I'm curious how far the back of the trolling motor overhangs (or doesn't) the mount bolted to the floor.

I'm currently working on my design and have narrowed my search down to going with the Minn Kota pontoon version you have. I was looking at them at Cabelas this weekend but the displays models are mounted like this and I didn't have a tape measure.

Thanks!

If you look at where P in the PONTOON is under the minn kota that is where the quick release bracket ends. The trolling extends beyond that about 5-6 inches over the side of the boat edge. On the other side where the wires are is flush. Hopefully that makes sense. I have it on a slight angle due to how the SLX is laid out.

http://www.bestboatwire.com/

I am using this site to get my wiring for it and using minn kota site to get the right size wire for the distance from the trolling motor. I am going with 6 AWG since I am right on the fringe as far as distance between battery and the TM.

If you look at where P in the PONTOON is under the minn kota that is where the quick release bracket ends. The trolling extends beyond that about 5-6 inches over the side of the boat edge. On the other side where the wires are is flush. Hopefully that makes sense. I have it on a slight angle due to how the SLX is laid out.

Thanks. Sounds like the trolling motor doesn't extend past the quick release bracket on the boat side then. That's what I was curious on. I appreciate it.

Back