Drones

Good article!

He talks about sUAV as only drones or multi rotor copters, the FAA at this time includes all remotely operated aircraft; RC planes, jets, helicopters and multi rotors. All pilots, not aircraft are to register by February 19th.

Steve

While it was an interesting article, I think that there is widespread disregard for some of the regs associated with drones. While attending the summer NASCAR race at Britol in 2014 someone was flying a camera equipped drone over a whole crowd of people that were gathered watching several bands, and over areas where food and beverages were served before the race. This thing came very close to us and others. I can tell you that it gave me a very weird feeling for two main reasons. One being that as close to people as the drone was flying, there was an obvious risk of injury. And secondly, on the occasions when the drone was hovering over us and obviously recording what either we, or those near us were doing, it gave us the eerie feeling of our "space" and privacy being violated without our approval.

There have been numerous instances where folks on the ground have shot at drones overflying them and their homes and properties. I'm pretty sure that if one flies over, or hovers over my property and/or loved ones, that I will do my best to make sure it has an unscheduled landing! Could be a great "moving target" but since we have neighbors in close proximity, and since there are laws about discharging firearms in close proximity to homes, I would not be using my shotgun, and would have to settle for my air rifle. I guess that would be more sporting anyways!

The whole point of my reply is to say that even though I am anti "regulating" any and all things, it is always the actions of a few that force regulations and registrations to be put into place. If you read this and disagree with my thoughts on this, you are certainly within your right to do so. I am willing to bet however, that once you have experienced an unwanted visit by someone's drone, that you probably will understand why I am in favor of some type of proof of "flying competence" and registration for those drones large enough to carry a camera or injure people or their property in case of a crash.

Rant over...

While it was an interesting article, I think that there is widespread disregard for some of the regs associated with drones. While attending the summer NASCAR race at Britol in 2014 someone was flying a camera equipped drone over a whole crowd of people that were gathered watching several bands, and over areas where food and beverages were served before the race. This thing came very close to us and others. I can tell you that it gave me a very weird feeling for two main reasons. One being that as close to people as the drone was flying, there was an obvious risk of injury. And secondly, on the occasions when the drone was hovering over us and obviously recording what either we, or those near us were doing, it gave us the eerie feeling of our "space" and privacy being violated without our approval.

There have been numerous instances where folks on the ground have shot at drones overflying them and their homes and properties. I'm pretty sure that if one flies over, or hovers over my property and/or loved ones, that I will do my best to make sure it has an unscheduled landing! Could be a great "moving target" but since we have neighbors in close proximity, and since there are laws about discharging firearms in close proximity to homes, I would not be using my shotgun, and would have to settle for my air rifle. I guess that would be more sporting anyways!

The whole point of my reply is to say that even though I am anti "regulating" any and all things, it is always the actions of a few that force regulations and registrations to be put into place. If you read this and disagree with my thoughts on this, you are certainly within your right to do so. I am willing to bet however, that once you have experienced an unwanted visit by someone's drone, that you probably will understand why I am in favor of some type of proof of "flying competence" and registration for those drones large enough to carry a camera or injure people or their property in case of a crash.

Rant over...

Removed by me. Time to get back to boating. Sorry for expressing my enjoyment of privacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to get the feeling there will be drone wars soon. Some yahoo will mount a pistol to his drone and fly around shooting others out of the sky.

No doubt.  Probably make a new TV show out of it too.  We've already got Storage Wars, Parking Wars, Star Wars.  Only thing left will be Drone Wars.  It's just going to be a matter of time before some idiot takes out a commercial jet or something and they get banned.

I am planning on bringing a drone with me this summer on the Benny to get some cool boating photos. If anyone is that worried that a drone may get a picture of them having a beer and chilly dog, than maybe they should stay home & put tin foil over all the windows! Whats the big deal?

I will be posting those photos if I can ever figure out how!

I am planning on bringing a drone with me this summer on the Benny to get some cool boating photos. If anyone is that worried that a drone may get a picture of them having a beer and chilly dog, than maybe they should stay home & put tin foil over all the windows! Whats the big deal?

I will be posting those photos if I can ever figure out how
Please note how many are ANTI-DRONE on this forum 

It may be an indication of what is in store if your drone hovers over another boat, house , beach or etc

The Lake Front side of my house has plenty of glass

I don't need someone sitting there with their camera / drone looking in on my family 

When I am on my boat or property I am there to enjoy myself, family and friends , not to be entertainment for an unknown party who has a new toy !!

117832420.jpg

A dialed up paintball gun might be a better option, larger mass projectile has a better chance of damage, especially when you freeze the paintballs. Take my word for it, they can do some damage.

Bulldog, what's the best way of freezing the paintballs in the summer.....do you just leave them outside?

Do they sell clear paintballs?  Probably not, since that would defeat the purpose of the game.  But, they wouldn't leave a mark on a drone...

I guess frozen ones probably wouldn't leave a mark either.  But they'd thaw pretty quick, so shooting one that's actually still frozen would take some effort and planning.

"Officer, it was a terrifying sight to see. My poor old shotgun was just sitting there when it was attacked by this mangy misanthropic drone. You know how cranky my old shotgun is, so he did what a shotgun does---six times. Here is all that is left of the drone--a small piece of a propeller. Also, if you would be so kind to pass on a message to the drone commander; my old shotgun has taken a real dislike to him as well." :angry:

Cheers, Steve

I own a few quads (drones) and your perceptions of flyers is what the FAA and media have succeeded at doing. You have a better chance of a drunk driver hitting you than a drone catching you doing something "au natural". The cameras are good but not as good as my 500 mm zoom lense on my DSLR. What I'm able to see from the air is much worse than what I can see standing on a hillside with my DSLR. Yes, there are a few "idiots" that have ruined it for the rest of us, but I'm not concerned. I'm registered, 333 exempt, and won't fly like a di**wad, so I have no worries. I would bet 95% of the people with fears would be alleviated by actually going with someone and learning about them. If you think I want to see you naked on your boat doing the tango, you are wrong!! LOL!!!

A little surprised to hear that SemperFi..........you obviously haven't seen me dance

Next thing will happen is the people so afraid of drones will outlaw kites, because it might fly over their beach and disturb them.

Last I knew, most beaches & the sky were open to public recreation! Beach ball, kites, frisbie, drone, etc!

Im going to start wearing a blindfold when I drive my boat! That way I wont accidently glance at someone with a lot of glass on their house! What is the world comming too?

Back