Dual batteries good idea?

Cpabst39

Reaction score
All,
I have a 2017 22SSRX that has a single battery. In my old boat I had dual batteries with a switch and never had a problem. I'm considering adding a second battery with a switch, hate the thought of being stranded with a dead battery. Although I didn't have any problems last year with a single battery, I'd like the piece of mind with a dual battery set up.

Are there any other suggestions or options to the dual battery set up? How hard of a job is it to add a second battery with a switch?

Thanks for the input.

All,
I have a 2017 22SSRX that has a single battery. In my old boat I had dual batteries with a switch and never had a problem. I'm considering adding a second battery with a switch, hate the thought of being stranded with a dead battery. Although I didn't have any problems last year with a single battery, I'd like the piece of mind with a dual battery set up.

Are there any other suggestions or options to the dual battery set up? How hard of a job is it to add a second battery with a switch?

Thanks for the input.
You can always carry a portable jump box, probably cheaper than another battery.

I bet for cost and easiness, the above suggestion is a good route to go.

Agreed!

Personally I am competent enough to write a check to my Bennington dealer, though sometimes I still write 1973 as the year as I still think I am 20

1973...... I wasn’t even born yet! ;)

I had a 2nd battery added last year with the switch and setup shown above. Dealer installed for about $250.

I also have the Anker portable jump starter - we bought this after seeing it here on the forums and love it. Knock on wood we haven't had to use it on the boat but it charges multiple cell phones, laptops and once charged up a neighbor's dead Jeep Grand Cherokee battery.

https://www.anker.com/ca/products/variant/Car-Jump-Starter-and-Portable-Charger-2-in-1/A1314171

I went with the dual battery setup and am glad I did. May be peace of mind but with running stereo for hours on end and all it’s nice knowing there are 2 batteries to fire up on and head home

I had the switch and a second battery added to my new Benny before I took possession of it at the end of last summer. With the first Benny, in the beginning, I only had one battery (later added a second), went to the ramp, unloaded, cranked.... no turn over. I pulled it out, took it home and charged the battery.

With this one, I took it to the ramp, put it in the water, cranked... no turn over. I switched to the second battery, cranked it up, and switched back to battery one to charge both... Took off and had a great day on the water.

first thing I added was a second battery and perko.

I have a 2577 RFi, and it also has a killer stereo system with amplifiers. I was concerned with running the battery down when the engine wasn't on. I decided to add a deep cycle group 31 battery for the "house" electronics and let the starting battery do just the starting.

I had a Blue Sea Si-ACR (Automatic Charging Relay) installed. I find it better than a perko switch. Basically, when the engine is on, it senses the voltage and automatically combines and charges both batteries. When the key is shut off, both batteries are isolated and the deep cycle battery is used to run the stereo/lights/pumps/etc. What this relay also does is protect the electronics from voltage surges when starting. It is fully automatic, and there is no need to switch anything. Also, When I hook up my battery charger to one of the batteries at home, the led indicator on the unit shows that the batteries are combined again, and it charges both batteries to full.

Remember that with a perko switch, if the engine is on, and someone happens to turn the switch the wrong way, it can fry your voltage regulator and/or alternator on your engine and cause all kinds of issues, none the least of which is that you'll be dead in the water, or so I've been told, anyway. It seemed like a real pain to me to constantly be switching from one battery to another every time you started/stopped/started/stopped, etc. Especially if the switch is not located within easy reach of the helm. Plus, people love to turn switches and knobs when I'm not looking.....especially children!

Blue Sea also sells an "Add a battery kit" that includes the optional battery switch (which isn't really needed, unless you want to manually combine the batteries when the key is off). The only use for this in my mind would be if you managed to drain both batteries simultaneously to a near dead state and needed to combine them in order to get enough voltage to get the engine started. So, rather than have the switch.....I also carry a GooLoo jump starter to charge up phones, etc. on the boat and to serve as an emergency jump starter as well. Better safe than sorry.

The reviews on Amazon speak for themselves. And no, I do not work for Blue Sea or have any interest in the company. Just seems like a good product.

I second the Blue Sea ACR. I put one in. If you can turn a wrench and read, you can put one in. The best thing about it is it's a "leave it and forget it". Never have to remember to flip a switch. I've had mine for several years and it's one of the best post-factory upgrades you can do for your boat. And peace of mind.

I keep a single short piece of battery cable should I ever have to do the opposite (start the boat with the house battery due to a dead starting battery). You just use it as a jumper cable. You only need one. The grounds on both batteries will already be tied together. Just need to jumper the positive terminals. And you can do that at the ACR (the two positive terminals are only 3 inches apart). I'm glad I didn't add the bright orange switch.

Back