Engine Questions

Stevez

Reaction score
I will be in the market for a new (or used depending) Bennington in the next 6 months or so. If I buy new, I'm torn between the options of outboard motors. I was a little surprised that I can't find much on here or other web-forums about reviews/feedback of the different engine models. I've searched quite a bit and just don't find much, other than the product type material that doesn't provide any useful information about the pros/cons of each. I was wondering if anyone here can point me to a website/forum/online magazine, etc. that would have current/useful reviews and ratings for outboard motors? I found a 2017 article on Wave to Wave but they are mostly on performance/racing engines. They had a brief section on semi-performance and for example were very critical of Honda (which I had previously thought of very highly). Appreciate any help/insight! Steve

I'm not sure on the best source for comparisons and reviews. boattest.com has some side by side but I'd take those with a grain of salt.

I've heard yamahas are bulletproof so that's what I went for. 5 seasons in and only scheduled maintenance so far. Runs like a champ

Our Honda 150 is 12+ years old and hasn't skipped a beat I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

I had the same delimma 2 1/2 years ago when we were shopping. Frankly, I never came across what I would consider objective comparative information and data. I did come away with some personal preferences from my research, and I also came away with the feeling that for the most part, most all boat motor manufacturers are doing a pretty solid job with what they make.

I was personally leaning Honda, Mercury, or Yamaha when it was all said and done. The local dealer I ended up ordering from is a Mercury dealer and service center, so I went in that direction. In the end I am very happy with my Mercury Verado. I love the guiet but powerful sound, the power arc, and its performance. However, with a 200hp, I am sure I’d feel that way if I had went Honda or Yamaha as well.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate all the input. Jeff, like you I am leaning towards those same three and I guess any would be great. I too want a 200hp so I'm sure I'll be happy with any of them. Steve

I’ll jump on the Evinrude wagon, we loved ours!

As evidenced above I would think that all the manufacturers outboards are well constructed therefore the engine that I would select is the one that my service dealer is most proficient with

Thanks again and I was interested in the Evinrude, but was hoping to have more to find on the research front. I certainly will keep an open mind to this and study more. Thanks.

I had a 2001 Honda BF115 on my former boat. Bought the boat barely used and kept it for 14 years. Had several issues over the years including needing to replace the ECM, which was quite expensive. Honda's are probably found on only about 10% of the boats on my lake, so service and parts were always a little tougher to source. Even though Honda has a stellar reputation, I was thrilled my new to me boat came with a Yamaha. So far so good.

I have a 2010 250 mercury verado and it seems to be an excellent motor although it is new to me I can’t speak of durability yet.
I ran into the previous owner Labor Day weekend and when I asked how he likes his new Bennington with the 300 Yamaha he said it is great other than the motor is noticeably louder than the mercury was. Said it was a strong motor just loud. I feel like I see as many Suzuki’s on toons now as I do mercury and Yamaha’s. My brother runs the 2011 150 Suzuki and it seems to be a really good motor. I know his manitou flys with it on there for a 150.

Long story short any of the outboards you can get serviced local will be fine choices. Just check for any little hiccups any of them can have for certain models in certain years for the particular horsepower.

My 300 Yamaha is not loud. Brother has Merc 300 and we both agree that they are both about the same on the loud scale they just sound different. We can go 40 MPH and have a conversation easily.

We can go 40 MPH and have a conversation easily.
Ray, I'd second that. At 40 it seems to me that wind noise becomes a bigger factor than the engine. Then again, maybe I'm just one of those sensitive type guys... ;)

Most outboard engine makers are pretty good. My first choice is always Evinrude. More powerful, lighter, much less maintenance and easy to winterize yourself. My gas mileage is equal to if not better than a 4 stroke. Go with what works best for you! ⚓⚓

We went with the Mercury 350 Verado! They seem to have one of the best reputations out there for performance and dependability! Couldn't be happier!

I'm sure they all are great Engines and you'd be happy no matter what you choose!

Happy Boating

Like others have said, any of the engine manufacturers out there are good choices. They wouldn't be in business if they weren't. I will say I am biased towards Evinrude, but for good reason. Those who don't know always say 4 stroke is the way to go, 4 stroke manufacturers have done one hell of a job telling consumers that this is the way to go. In reality though the Evinrude motor is a far superior product. 1st. Everyone thinks 4 strokes don't burn oil False, they do burn oil. 2nd, 4 stroke motors have better emissions. False, in fact the Evinrude motor has about 85% fewer emission then any other 4 stroke, and the only motor to receive the EPA Clean Air Award. The motor at idle actually has so low emission the CO level doesn't come up to lethal levels. Maintenance, at 100 hours the oil on 4 strokes need to be changed, going rate is about $180 to have a dealer do this. Adding oil if you buy 2.5 gallon container costs about $135 and the average consumer will need to add oil about every 1.5 to 2 years. Also depending on the motor you have 3yr/300hour or 5yr/500hr first scheduled maintenance. Moral of the story is don't ever let anybody tell you that that the 4 strokes on the market are superior to Evinrude

So there! :) You make some good arguments but as with most things we purchase, there are a myriad of factors, features and benefits that go into our selections. Glad to see that you're happy with your engine and maybe that will persuade others to take a closer look.

You must own a Evinrude Dealership.

Back