Express tube has a leak

Andy is definitely one sick minded individual. I am certain all of this is his fault.

Welding two holes: $125.

Not having to ship it back to the factory and ending boating season: Priceless!

Welding two holes: $125.

Not having to ship it back to the factory and ending boating season: Priceless!
Did the dealers person do the welds as warranty, or did you end up having to find someone else to do it yourself? $125 seems like a great price.

I used a certified welder our marina uses a lot for pontoons.

I did much of the legwork... Finding the leak, draining it, and delivering the boat to the welder, showing him the holes. All he had to do was weld it. Took about an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Send the bill to Bennington for reimbursement. Clearly they missed it and it is under warranty.

My dealer is working with Bennington on my warranty claim. There's no doubt in my mind they will cover the cost. That's just how Bennington is. Seen it (read it) over and over and over on this site, which is why I'm not even the slightest bit irritated this happened. It happens. I have nothing bad to say about Bennington over this.

I am happy to be back on the water!

They are good. Just slow at times. Still waiting to hear on when my leak will be corrected. It has been since September 2014 when I originally found the leak and it is still not fixed.....

Just got back from a week in Florida and just read this entire post.  Sorry to hear of your problems, glad it had a happy ending kaydano.

BTW was surprised how many Benningtons I saw on the Banana River at Cocoa Beach

Thanks Mark.  Just got back from our second trip after the repairs.  Just before we went out, the marina owner said he could still hear some water in it...  He braked the trailer hard so I could hear it.  I heard it.  It wasn't nearly as significant as last time though.  Not sure if the weld didn't get fixed (looked really great though) or if it's another toon leaking.  Or just some left over that didn't drain out before welding it shut  I can't see there being more than a couple cups of water in there given how low I drilled the hole and raised the bow to drain it all out.

This saga may not be over...

I'm not sure how to check the other toons.  Some kind of tiny camera would be awesome.  It would have to fit in through a 1/2 inch hole at the top of the pontoon.  Anyone seen a camera small enough to inspect the inside of a pontoon?

Kaydano how about those gun/camera that sense temperature loss in houses, I would think that would see the difference of water in a toon

For mechanics, there are scopes that can go in a spark plug hole.

I recall pdx saying somthing about thermal cameras the fire departments use.

Thanks for the tips. Due to cost, I may try to heat up the toon with a hairdryer and use a thermal imaging gun. Areas with water should show up much colder vs areas hit with a hairdryer with just air behind the metal.

That scope could be used for other stuff the rest of my life though.

Yeah, I keep wanting to buy one. I think it's one of those things that if you had it, you'd find a lot more uses for it. There are cheaper alternatives and knock offs.

Would .3 mega pixels even show what color something is???????

What color is water?  Jared - Be quiet.

Actually, if you look at the bottom of the page at the link above, the customer posted photos are quite impressive, even at 0.3 MP. 

Bennington approved my warranty claim for fixing the weld.

Back