Express Tube vs. Elliptical Pontoons

Je1279

Reaction score
I've done a lot of reading and it sounds like the elliptical pontoons will give you a higher top speed but adding the express tube will result in better rough water performance and possibly better maneuverability. Is this the consensus of others as well? I realize the SPS package would be ideal but my parents are the ones purchasing the boat and I've already come up a bit from what they were looking to spend initially to make sure they would be happy with it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Express sits bow high. Ellipticals sit flat.

Most of our seating is up front, and when the boat is full of people, it sits flat at that point due to the 3/4 length center tube making the bow more buoyant.

Express leaps out of the water when you hammer the throttle since the nose sits high. Comes up on plane fast.

I'd say the bow sits 13-14 inches higher than the stern. Not a lot given a 24 foot length, but it is noticeable and may bother some people. There are pros and cons to each.  Good question.

Why don't you chip in with your parents?

Please note: The Express tube and the SPS are NOT the same. The Express package uses the delta-shaped engine pod from the 2 tube hull and the middle tube runs forward from the pod to the bow of the boat. The SPS package uses a full length center tube that also serves as the transom and fuel tank carrier. The tube mounted tank is advantageous because the center of gravity is lower on the boat.

I've had both and the SPS is far superior. Also, as an FYI, the twin elliptical hull sits a lot higher in (on) the water due to the increased buoyancy. Those who need to clear bridges will want to make note.

Thanks all. I would love to help them out but unfortunately my wife and I are saving for a new house at the moment. Leaning towards the ellipticals as I don't like the idea of the bow riding high with only a couple of people on board and nobody has indicated that the maneuverability gains outweigh this for the express tube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously a big decision. Any chance they can hold off purchasing until they have the opportunity to try both styles?

They could wait until the lakes around here thaw but would probably loose out on any winter deals they can currently get. This seemed like such an easy process until I joined this forum ☺.

I have the ESP pkg which handles great due to the center of gravity from the center fuel tank and the larger center toon. The rough water add is included with the ESP pkg as well. Our boat gets on plane very fast and handles great.

For you situation and knowing the lake you will be boating on I would believe that ellipticals would be the better choice. 

For you situation and knowing the lake you will be boating on I would believe that ellipticals would be the better choice. 

Ellipticals it is then. Thanks again Link.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an elliptical boat and an ESP boat.  They are totally different boats.  They both work well but are used for different roles.  I had a post last year explaining the differences.  

Probably not a factor, but hydraulic legs would not work on the twin elliptical.

Thanks, we absolutely love it. I am having some signs of "PADS" as I would like a bigger power plant.

Can't you just upgrade the motor since it's already an esp boat? Say 350hp???

Can't you just upgrade the motor since it's already an esp boat? Say 350hp???

You can't put a 350 on a 2375 as 300 is max. You have to go to the 25RCW to put a 350 on.

Back