Express vs SPS

Let me add to that....

Money is cheap to borrow currently.

Very common to be far south of 5%.

The boats are probably increasing in price beyond that rate.

So, in essence, you are losing money trying to save up for the boat you want.

You cannot afford to let another day go by......GET IT ORDERED!!!! :D
That's some out of the box thinking. I never thought of it that way. That's a sure fire way to get a PADS infection!!!

I got 2.99% 24 month money.

Payments?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
For my Canadian friend, in metric that would be 2 years. 
Haha, you guys! I was more referring to my loan is over 20 years!! Or maybe it was 15, not sure, it's like a mortgage so people like me who really CAN'T afford the boat they want, can still get the boat they want. So bringing it back to topic, might as well buy the ESP with a 250! The bank will figure out a way to have you in debt forever! 

Haha, you guys! I was more referring to my loan is over 20 years!! Or maybe it was 15, not sure, it's like a mortgage so people like me who really CAN'T afford the boat they want, can still get the boat they want. So bringing it back to topic, might as well buy the ESP with a 250! The bank will figure out a way to have you in debt forever! 
Life is so much easier for those that pay their bills on time and keep a high FICO score.  Long term financing is more readily available for boats, RV's and other toys. 

But on the other hand, banks and credit unions don't like to stick themselves into long term, low APR retail financing, as they may operate at a loss if for some geo/political reason causes interest rates to go up dramatically.  They may end up losing money on such loans.  That's why boat and RV financing rates are often in the 4.5% to 6.00% APR range. 

Hi Blacksapphirez,

Welcome to the club! I started here 2 years ago and have not looked back. There are a ton of great people on this forum with a ton of great information. Think deep and hard on how you'll use the boat, you can see by my signature block what I have and I thought I had it licked. :rolleyes:   I do have the infamous PADS you'll see across the forum and in the process of spec'ing out a new '16 2375GCW w/ ESP and a 300 G2 Evinrude. I'd love to have an R with the windshield, but I'd be destined fro a divorce! :D  Test drive what you can as that was not available to me. If you live near southeast PA your more than welcome for ride, I only frequent upstate NY periodically. Best of Luck!

ADKBoater:  I have been reading a bunch of postings on the big bass fishermen website about the G2 Evinrudes.  They're far from getting the bugs worked out of it right now.  They're extremely powerful, but they've left a number of Bassmaster Elite fishermen stranded on the lake.  In a couple of cases, the fishermen used a backup/spare boat.

But I'd certainly like to have a big Q model with the new Mercury Pro 400 4 stroke motor out of Mercury's racing stable.  Think what it'd be like after a $650 ECU reflash.   My local dealer's getting between $25K and $27K for the new motors.  Of course, you'd have to spend big $ for labor on installation, SmartCraft gauges, fly by wire binnacle control and  SmartCraft wiring harness.   It's always best if Bennington does any Verado prep on the hull.

Thanks for the heads up Bamaman! I'm a little sour on the Mercury as a friend of mine at the office and I were waiting for his new South Bay to be delivered to his dock (boat is nothing to my SSLX bennington!) and the new Verado 250 physically spit the rod out of the side of the motor. That was my first experience with a Mercury outboard. They gave him a new motor, but what the heck!!

ADKBoater:  I have been reading a bunch of postings on the big bass fishermen website about the G2 Evinrudes.  They're far from getting the bugs worked out of it right now.  They're extremely powerful, but they've left a number of Bassmaster Elite fishermen stranded on the lake.  In a couple of cases, the fishermen used a backup/spare boat.
I cannot imagine putting a 2 stroke on a pontoon.

Where is the upside to that decision?

Weight, self winterization, minimal oil consumption. Technology. 6 year warranty. Oh yeah that's what my dealer sells too!! I'm a snowmobiler from way back and have not made that transition either. The only thing I'm turned on in four strokes are dirt bikes and that only because they're easier to make street legal!

What's the downside?

Obviously there are a BUNCH of pros and cons, I'm just making a point by asking that question.  This has been much debated here, but not for a while.  You can look at the debate from lots of angles.

Acceleration is a biggie in my mind though.  Each engine revolution is a power stroke on a 2 cycle.  4 strokes have an exhaust revolution following each power stroke revolution.  2 strokes weigh less, have less moving parts, the list goes on and on...  I spent a lot of time trying to decide between the two for our pontoon boat.  I went with the 4 stroke, but it was not an obvious decision.  Main reason for me was having to deal with (remembering) to refill the oil reservoir.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Main reason for me was having to deal with (remembering) to refill the oil reservoir." -- bingo...we have a winner!! (at least for me too!!)

"Main reason for me was having to deal with (remembering) to refill the oil reservoir." -- bingo...we have a winner!! (at least for me too!!)
Ha ha. I also figured if I did remember to put oil in it, I'd drop the $1000 engine cowl in the lake!

I've had 9 adults including a couple big boys and was almost at 40 with my 200 and SPS. I've never been on an ESP hull but would imagine it is nice. Here is my famous bad movie of my boat showing off the SPS setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR-1yh3MYjI

Small world moment:  I had a handful of YouTube clips I had watched WAY back this fall when boat shopping.  Lots of different boats.  This video clip is one of them that had me fired up that a 200hp SPS S-Series Bennington would be a great fit for us.  Now, fast forward a few months, I am slowly going through all these older posts on this site with our 2017 Bennington on order, and I find out that video clip was of you Lakeliving?  

Too funny...small world.!

This forum sells a lot of boats for Bennington.

Back