Express vs SPS

The ESP would be the best re-sale.

But the originator of this thread was asking about SPS vs Express tube
Sorry Bill, thought you were comparing SPS & ESP.  Certainly agree that SPS would top Express in resale

I have a 24 sslx. you get a lot with the SPS package. I would really consider a water test before you pull the trigger. Than you will at least have all the information to need to make the right decision for you. Where do you live?

Even with the express tube/motor and trailer you will be over 3500.... I need to find Kaydano's post. That is essentially his setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually may have to get the express...weight for the sps is 3000 and add motor and trailer, it would exceed my towing limit ...I got a wrangler unlimited which is capped legally at 3500
You'll likely be overweight anyway. The listed hull weight on Bennington's site seems to only be the hull and not the seating, batteries, motor, etc. Then add in all the stuff you put on it and and actual weights of finished boats is significantly higher. Even if it were right at capacity, you'd still want to avoid towing more than short distances with that rig. Due to the aerodynamics, pontoons pull like they are much heavier than they are. 

I am unsure how this thought has not been posted yet (or at least I didn't see it as I was perusing through the comments)...so here-goes...

You can buy your last boat...first, second, third, ninth, or like me - twelfth. 

Your last boat will probably be a Bennington, and will be something deluxe with pretty-close to everything on it. 

No matter what you decide to do now, your last boat will still be the same.

It's hard to fathom or justify when you are starting to add things up, but I promise...with incredibly detailed data to support this...it's wwwaaayyy cheaper to buy your last boat first, rather than doing like I did it. Others will probably chime in. Everyone respects that each persons decision is individual and specific to their own situation. I just wanted to point out that in my case, I didn't save money by not getting it all. Quite the opposite.

would it be bad to be at the limit even with a trailer brakes?

i have upgraded brake pads on the Jeep and trailer would have surge brakes on both axles(

I am unsure how this thought has not been posted yet (or at least I didn't see it as I was perusing through the comments)...so here-goes...

You can buy your last boat...first, second, third, ninth, or like me - twelfth. 

Your last boat will probably be a Bennington, and will be something deluxe with pretty-close to everything on it. 

No matter what you decide to do now, your last boat will still be the same.

It's hard to fathom or justify when you are starting to add things up, but I promise...with incredibly detailed data to support this...it's wwwaaayyy cheaper to buy your last boat first, rather than doing like I did it. Others will probably chime in. Everyone respects that each persons decision is individual and specific to their own situation. I just wanted to point out that in my case, I didn't save money by not getting it all. Quite the opposite.
Well said Jeff and oh so true [first hand experience as a newbie to boating - I have a beautiful RL which I love but deffinitly would have done a few things different, and yes some of those wrong decisions were based purely on $$$ but now realize that eventually it is going to cost me more in the long run]

would it be bad to be at the limit even with a trailer brakes?

i have upgraded brake pads on the Jeep and trailer would have surge brakes on both axles(
The short wheel base of the jeep is a safety issue.  You have a jackknife waiting to happen in an emergency stop.  

yea i am stretching a lot right now by going with tritoon & a 150hp 

two toon with 115 was in my range for sure but don't want to make a mistake so I am doing a lot of research and getting the right boat the first time around! 

here's what i'm looking at....

22/24 SSLX or 22/24 SCWX

-SPS/Express

-In toon storage

-upgraded helm seat(flip up cushion type)

-extended aft deck

-vinyl/woven teak/sea grass(full)

-double bimini (24)

-galvanized dual axle trailer with brake

-washdown kit(yay or nay?)

-GPS with depth finder (inland)

I weighed our new 22' SFX 2 toon at a CAT scale to figure tongue weight.  Boat, trailer, 150 hp mercury is 4120lbs before we added anchors, coolers, full gas tank.  You need a bigger tow vehicle. 

You have the longer wheelbase version so maybe it depends on your distance to water. A couple miles...doable- hundreds of miles.....no way.

Here is a brief synopsis of what we did to feed off of Jeff's post.

Ordered a 2013 22 sslx with a 115 and lifting strakes. it ran good with a light load, add one more couple and the speeds dropped big time. It cornered like a panzer. We were not happy. Then we water tested a 24 S series with sps and the 200. WOW! We literally got home and listed our boat for sale after just 3 months of having it. Sold it, lost money, and ordered what we have now and have no regrets once so ever. Learn from us!!! And if there is a wifre/girlfriend involved and is worried about money, we have a 800 number where bennington owners wives are standing by to talk them through it. Press 9 at the prompt.

lakeliving, on 22 Jul 2015 - 1:30 PM, said:You have the longer wheelbase version so maybe it depends on your distance to water. A couple miles...doable- hundreds of miles.....no way.

Here is a brief synopsis of what we did to feed off of Jeff's post.

Ordered a 2013 22 sslx with a 115 and lifting strakes. it ran good with a light load, add one more couple and the speeds dropped big time. It cornered like a panzer. We were not happy. Then we water tested a 24 S series with sps and the 200. WOW! We literally got home and listed our boat for sale after just 3 months of having it. Sold it, lost money, and ordered what we have now and have no regrets once so ever. Learn from us!!! And if there is a wifre/girlfriend involved and is worried about money, we have a 800 number where bennington owners wives are standing by to talk them through it. Press 9 at the prompt.

Let me add to that....

Money is cheap to borrow currently.

Very common to be far south of 5%.

The boats are probably increasing in price beyond that rate.

So, in essence, you are losing money trying to save up for the boat you want.

You cannot afford to let another day go by......GET IT ORDERED!!!! :D

DO NOT TOW ANYTHING OVER 3500 LBS WITH A JEEP PERIOD.  You are asking for problems. I had a 4 door Wrangler Sport 6 speed with V6.  Even with 373 gears towing anything over 3000-3500lbs was SCARY.  Ive been towing big heavy trailers almost my whole life between boats and work trailers.  BIG MISTAKE with a Jeep.  Cant say it enough.... DONT DO IT.

DO NOT TOW ANYTHING OVER 3500 LBS WITH A JEEP PERIOD.  You are asking for problems. I had a 4 door Wrangler Sport 6 speed with V6.  Even with 373 gears towing anything over 3000-3500lbs was SCARY.  Ive been towing big heavy trailers almost my whole life between boats and work trailers.  BIG MISTAKE with a Jeep.  Cant say it enough.... DONT DO IT.

I agree very much with this statement. Someone once told me, it's not so much whether you can tow it, it's whether you can stop it.  When lives are at risk, don't mess around. 

And don't forget that you've got to be able to handle that monster behind you in an emergency situation--like changing lanes immediately.  Short wheelbase vehicles just don't cut it towing long, heavy loads.

I just had some dents and scrapes taken out of my F250 pickup box.  And with a diesel, my engine's just broken in @ 13 years old and 126K miles.  I think I'll keep it another 13 years since it's looking like new.  That's where the value of a diesel especially comes in.  Just if I can keep my wife out of it, as most of the scrapes were hers.

I actually may have to get the express...weight for the sps is 3000 and add motor and trailer, it would exceed my towing limit ...I got a wrangler unlimited which is capped legally at 3500
My 24SSL with express and a 150 and trailer and gas and batteries and anchor and the rest of the stuff weighs just over 5000 lbs. I hate to say this, but you need to rethink your tow vehicle too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops. Didn't read the rest of the posts before posting above. I see now it was already said. +1!

Back