EZ Loader trailer issues (take 2!)

Good job Derrick. You're like that little stone that gets in your shoe and you can't find it. :D

So now I realize the nickname Bulldog doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you own two dogs...

Way to go Bulldog
Haha, you are correct, nothing to do with my dogs actually! I have always wanted a Bulldog, we decided on our 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks though and I love them completely! They can be very stubborn and take a lot of work, but we'll worth the effort! Who knows, maybe still get my Bulldog someday. As for the congratulations, we'll wait and see what they send out and if it's suitable, let's hope so!

Derrick

So, still waiting for these extra supports, went onto EZ Loaders website and was looking at my trailer and noticed something. The trailer that they show in the picture HAS an extended transom, no where does it say it's "optional". Now it is made for a Mani, you know what, but now I'm fired up again, so this was about a week and a half ago, so I sent a message to the guy I've been talking to and asked what the heck? Your picture clearly shows an extended transom, THAT'S the picture you used to sell the boat, no where does it say it's an option, what gives? To which I have received no reply. What are your thoughts? Do you think I should be happy with just getting this support they are supposed to be sending? Granted I haven't seen it yet, but it still leaves the issue of the tie downs. What are the thoughts? I guess it comes down to how much they value their customer and how far they are willing to go to correct what I still believe is a mistake.

Haha, I like that analogy, wish it was about someone else, but they did actually get back to me today, here is what they said,

They are in the process of updating all of the information on the website but that is done in the corporate division in Spokane Washington. I believe that the parts we are building for your trailer just got the finishing approval from the engineering department and have been put into production. They should ship out of here soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, received some parts yesterday, haven't had the chance to open them up and check them all out. They're heavy, they're painted to match, hopefully they do the trick! Not quite sure how it will piece together, but crossing my fingers! I'll open them up tonight after work, there is one heavy straight bar shrink wrapped up with the new bunk boards, guess I'll figure it out later and update everyone! That and now I have to figure out how to slide my boat backwards on the trailer on dry land! This could be fun!! :)

Derrick, or you could wait till July when you oat goes into the water and work on the trailer then :rolleyes:

Link, you know Derrick will not wait !!! Block up the toons and let the air out of the tires Derrick :rolleyes:

Well I don't have a dock, and my launch is about 45 minutes away, so it would suck to be trying to do it in the parking lot and find out I don't have something I need. PLUS where it is I actually have access to a tractor, might lift the ass end a bit and ease the trailer forward. We'll see.

Okay, unpacked the parts, everything seems pretty heavy duty. So basically what they sent is brackets to extend the rear ratcheting tie down mechanism, and a long "bar" (thick steel bar in a shallow C channel shape) that has an attachment point that gets bolted onto the rear adjustable bunk bracket. One for each side. The bars are about 4 feet in length and the bunk boards bolt to them. I will try to post a lousy pic I took that shows the support bar (will be bolted underneath the rear section of the bunk board to add rigidity and support to the bunk board. It looks good, I kind of wish they would have made the support bar longer so it could have been attached to the bracket on the crossmember before it as well. What are your thoughts? (if you can even understand my mumbo jumbo explanation! Where's Ccando, he'd know what to do, miss that guy and his intellectual comments, now we just have kaydano! Haha just kidding bud!!)

Just amazing how short sighted EZ Loader is being in treating you this way. You spend good money, for an expensive custom product, which was built wrong, and their solution is to send you a box of parts with an instruction manual on how YOU should put it together!

FWIW, next time you communicate with them you can point out my post which indicates that I too need an expensive custom trailer for my expensive custom boat and there is NO WAY that it will be an EZ Loader. There are far too many trailer options out there to even put them on the short list.

Haha, to be 100% honest with you,if I somehow do manage to sell my boat and get the tower model, I would probably order the same trailer, but WITH THE EXTENSION!! I really do love everything else about my trailer. Do I think that EZ Loader should have given me a new trailer? It would have been nice and I would have sung their praises for years to come. Do I think that was a possibility? No, it is still a custom painted trailer and it would basically be scrap after. Do I think they for some reason changed a major design feature without notice and without putting their thoughts in the customers best interest? I guess. Keep in mind that they have tried to come up with a rectification to the issue. When I was originally looking, I looked to find a good looking trailer that accentuated the good looking boat that was going on it. There aren't a lot. I would give them a look and just talk to them and tell them you want it like the picture and like Bennington's yard trailer. I wonder if Bennington can give us the serial # on theirs to make sure it's the same.

Haha, to be 100% honest with you,if I somehow do manage to sell my boat and get the tower model, I would probably order the same trailer, but WITH THE EXTENSION!! I really do love everything else about my trailer. Do I think that EZ Loader should have given me a new trailer? It would have been nice and I would have sung their praises for years to come. Do I think that was a possibility? No, it is still a custom painted trailer and it would basically be scrap after. Do I think they for some reason changed a major design feature without notice and without putting their thoughts in the customers best interest? I guess. Keep in mind that they have tried to come up with a rectification to the issue. When I was originally looking, I looked to find a good looking trailer that accentuated the good looking boat that was going on it. There aren't a lot. I would give them a look and just talk to them and tell them you want it like the picture and like Bennington's yard trailer. I wonder if Bennington can give us the serial # on theirs to make sure it's the same.

Derrick...wanted to follow up on this topic as I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an EZ Loader. Did the extensions, supports and brackets for the tie downs do the trick after a summer of hauling the boat? Did I understand you to say that this is an option now when ordering? I am new to tooning and Bennington and really value the input of you and everyone on this site. Your boat and trailer look awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Okay, unpacked the parts, everything seems pretty heavy duty. So basically what they sent is brackets to extend the rear ratcheting tie down mechanism, and a long "bar" (thick steel bar in a shallow C channel shape) that has an attachment point that gets bolted onto the rear adjustable bunk bracket. One for each side. The bars are about 4 feet in length and the bunk boards bolt to them. I will try to post a lousy pic I took that shows the support bar (will be bolted underneath the rear section of the bunk board to add rigidity and support to the bunk board. It looks good, I kind of wish they would have made the support bar longer so it could have been attached to the bracket on the crossmember before it as well. What are your thoughts? (if you can even understand my mumbo jumbo explanation! Where's Ccando, he'd know what to do, miss that guy and his intellectual comments, now we just have kaydano! Haha just kidding bud!!)
Ha ha ha.  Just saw this!  That's funny. 

If you are looking to me as a replacement for Ccando, we're all in deep trouble!  (Especially me.)  Ha ha.  But seriously, I miss his posts too.  I usually had to read them 2 or 3 times, but I miss them.  He was from another world...

Derrick...wanted to follow up on this topic as I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an EZ Loader. Did the extensions, supports and brackets for the tie downs do the trick after a summer of hauling the boat? Did I understand you to say that this is an option now when ordering? I am new to tooning and Bennington and really value the input of you and everyone on this site. Your boat and trailer look awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Well, I can't really tell you how their "fix" worked, I traded that one in and bought another! I am told that the rear extension is now standard on ESP equipped boats. This is the "Executive" model. The new one is good. I don't understand why they never listened to my complaint about the rear tie downs and have them mounted on the angled center extension like it was on Bennington trailer. They have it mounted right below the bracket that is mounted on the rear of the two outside toons. The problem with this is that it still interferes with the welded on box that the transducer/under water light, and livewell pump is mounted. I will try to post the pics here to show what I'm talking about

Sorry, just looked back and the trailer Bennington had doesn't have tie downs on the angled out center support. The tie downs do work where they are, you more just wnug them up, not crank them down. I didn't have any issues with it this summer. Oh and if your dealer has never ordered one with the ladder like this, here is the trick to getting the ladder out, just grab the bottom rung, lift the ladder STRAIGHT up, THEN pull it out towards you. My dealer and his mechanic fought with it for quite a while and never figured it out. Frankly I fought with it too when I first got it home, started taking bolts out and realized that when it is sitting in the vertical position for travel, it's slides down a little and "locks" the hinge mechanism in place so it can't swing out by accident when under way. Just make sure you still ASK/SPECIFY that it must have the center tube extension. Still the nicest pontoon trailer around here by far!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Derrick! Great information... I didn't know about the EZ Loader until I saw yours. Hope it holds up as good as it looks........ Just to confirm, the NEW one is the custom executive, correct? Is it the 5500? I see the EZ Loader site has two lengths 22- 25 and 27-30. Which one did you get? I assume its the shorter one? Also, did you stay with the 14" wheels? Thanks again!

Thanks Derrick! Great information... I didn't know about the EZ Loader until I saw yours. Hope it holds up as good as it looks........ Just to confirm, the NEW one is the custom executive, correct? Is it the 5500? I see the EZ Loader site has two lengths 22- 25 and 27-30. Which one did you get? I assume its the shorter one? Also, did you stay with the 14" wheels? Thanks again!
Yes, it is the EZ Loader Custom Executive Series I believe model FPT-55. Yes kept the 14" tires, ordered the spare tire as well, and the illuminated side. I have the easy slide plastic covering on the bunks, not actually sure it makes the boat easier to slide on or not, but it doesn't tear like carpet if you happen to be lined up a little wrong and catch the full length V on the bottom of the pontoon that protects it whose name completely has removed from my memory banks at this moment! Oh, nevermind, keel. As for length, just tell them your boat model and color and they will do it all. Both old and new were custom executive. Although on the new one they seem to have added in an extra step on the front, sometimes it makes them TOO close together, but after using a few times you are used to it.

Back