Fender Lines

3toon

Reaction score
This is my first post. I am excited to take delivery next week of my 22SLX with Yam 150. I would like to find out how long the 3/8" fender lines should be. The ones I am seeing that have a pre done loop are either 5' or 6'

I would appreciate any response. I chose to go with Polyform G 5...81/2 x 27 fenders. Looking forward to a lot more forum talk. It is a great resource!

Cheers

Harvey

I use 10' at a minimum. you never know where a cleat may be or if you need to double back to the boat. Better to have extra than be too short!

A 6' line would be too short. 10' or even 15' would be much better.    Mooring lines

Last edited by a moderator:
He was asking about Fender lines, the shorter the better for me so that there is not too much hanging from my EZ Fender

6' ---  I also got these: 

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Fender-Adjusters-For-Pontoon-Boat-Rails-4-pack&i=74625

I set up 3 of them for the proper height (tied a knot at the fender adjuster) and marked them F,M R  (front,middle,rear) -- I also tied a loop at the end in case they fell overboard (they never have) so they'd be easy to pick up. 

I use 2 when docking and 3 when rafted up -- they've worked great so far.

I don't have to tie up to different height docks is which case you may want them to be more adjustable although I can't see why the way I have them wouldn't work.

Those were the ones I started with as well and I tried many different solutions before I settled on the EZFenders.  I did have to change the heights at courtesy docks but I really needed flexibility for when I rafted up with others.

The plastic clips that you showed also were not good when I wanted to place it on the rail that had the back of the seat covers on it.

Like the classier looks of the EZFenders as well 

Plus 1 on the EZFenders 

529ez_crp.jpg

index~~element291.jpg

20141204_101700.jpg

I had the EZ Fenders on my old boat and they went with it to the new owner.

I'm on the fence (no pun intended) as to if I want to make another purchase for my new boat. I was not comfortable with the threaded thumbscrew being forced into the line to secure it. My sense is that this unnecessarily wears the line.

If a new method is developed, a clamping sleeve contraption of some sort, then I might be interested in a new set.

Hmm, Clamping Sleeve Contraption..... great rock band name.

I think ours are about 5, also I suggest the clips they mount right over the rail and make it easy to change the location.  I don't have any pictures but I will get some when I get to the boat Hopefully today or tomorrow... Its been sitting 2 days already :(  I gotta get back out there HAHAHA

We use THESE and love them, no marks on the rails or having to drill into the rail and you can move them anywhere.  

I installed 4 on mine no issues .I would buy them again 

I tied small loops of parachute cord in different places along my fence rails. I used the same color as my vinyl so you can hardly see them. Then I tied dog leash swivel quick clips to one end of a 2 feet section of dock line and the fenders to the other end. When I need to put a fender out, I just clip the hook to the loops.   Takes 2 seconds to clip a fender on.  The bad part is they are not adjustable easily for height.  The good part is you don't have to adjust them since I already have them all dialed in for height. Works for me. Very quick to put fenders out. And remove. 

I was concerned about drilling holes in the top rail in fear of hitting any wires.I like the EZFender but don't want to damage anything. Thoughts please. 

I was also hesitant.  I was afraid that they would loosen up over time and then if removed or fell off I would be stuck with the holes.  I considered adding some time of epoxy to help secure but in the end just screwed them on and no problems over the last 2 years.  You cant beat them for making adjustments for height [which is daily]

When you do it use a hole punch with a light tap otherwise the drill bit runs on you

I'm nervous about drilling into the rails so I just use the taylor made ones. No issues here. I have a snap that is stripped out in my rail for the playpen cover. Not sure there is any fix for that....Thus no more holes in the rails for me!

Drill away Andy ,not a big deal .You have posted some of your projects .

You want to talk about nervous, how about the dealer cutting my dash to put in the new gps  :eek:

Drill away Andy ,not a big deal .You have posted some of your projects .

You want to talk about nervous, how about the dealer cutting my dash to put in the new gps  :eek:

Oh man,  you were worried about the dealer cutting a hole in your dash for gps? I was super nervous about doing it myself. 5" Humminbird. That was scary,  lol. 

Back