Finally got a Grill for my Boat!

kaydano

Reaction score
And I didn't spend $500.  Grill was $35 on clearance at Menards.  Board was $6.  The grill's feet have holes in them, so I added four bolts from the underside of the base that stick up and sort of "pin" the grill to the base.  You can just lift the grill off the base, the bolts just keep it from sliding around.  The slots in the board are just a little shorter than the diameter of the curve the ladder rails make, so the base sort of wedges itself on top of the railings, if that makes sense.

My two favorite things about this design:

1) It just sits on the ladder railings.  No clamps to scratch railing finishes.  No holes in the boat deck.  No wrenches needed to remove it.  Just pick up and store under a couch.

2) The base tilts back and forth to make it level.  If I'm on the beach with the bow high, I tilt the base forward until the grill is level.  If the boat is full of people upfront and we're out on the water and the boat is pretty level, I can tilt it back.  Helps keep hot dogs from rolling off.

The grill itself is small enough to store between the couch supports way in the back of the storage compartment.

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/gallery/image/6029-grill-final-2/

http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/gallery/image/6030-grill-final-3/

The grill uses the small green LP tanks.  I didn't have it on in these pictures, but it just rests on the back edge of the base.

I had the best ribeye I ever had yesterday off this grill.  I'm sure being on the lake had a LOT to do with it tasting so good!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea, did you design the board yourself or was it purchased as is?

My design.  I started with just a plain board and cut the two slots with a jigsaw.  Ran a router around the perimeter to smooth the edges.

I did make a "prototype" version out of OSB (really cheap wood), then made some minor adjustments which were mostly changing the center of gravity of the grill and tank so it would be more stable and make room for the tank which hangs off the side towards the back.

I wanted to make the base out of a black cutting board (PVC) to match the boat and grill, but I couldn't find a piece here locally that was wide enough.  The base is almost 24 inches wide. 

I'll either stain and polycoat it, or just paint it black.  And as soon as I do that, I'm sure I'll find the right cutting board!

Nice design Kaydano

Good Job Dan! Now you just need a spatula with a long handle!

I use an oar.

Looks great Dan!  Nice design.

WoodenPontoon has a Google Alert set up for when someone makes something out of wood for their pontoon!

Back